Victorian renovation build log

Soldato
I'm impressed with the units but I'd be too scared to paint them!

Did you not get the flooring installed underneath the units?
Is that not the standard order to do things? Would be good to know prior to doing my kitchen..

Soldato
did you organise all the trades separately for the kitchen? or was it through the company that made the kitchen?

tbh I'm always amazed at the lack of crossover between kitchen fitters, worktop installers, plumbers and electricians.
Check their t&c's - I know it's not good what they've done but it's likely that they do have it written that you will need other trades on site to follow them.

(I had an issue with a 180k kitchen, where the installer, who was making an absolute fortune, wouldn't connect up the extractor fan to the flexible duct because "that's a plumbers job")

Associate
OP
All separate trades.

I've been away on business, had a no show plumber today so still have no washing machine and only half the granite fitted.

They will be getting the worst review (once they finish the job)

No apology, balmed me for being inexperience in having worktops fitted, which is true. Though I have witness my parents being done about 5 years ago but they actually reconnected everything afterwards!

Associate
OP
Anyhooooo

On a more positive note here is the induction range in the chimney breast with shallow cupboards either side.
The surround will eventually be granite with the back tiles in white metro tiles.

The cupboard in the background has also been stripped back to pine. It's the original larder and was a must keep!

Permabanned
eviled;30488179 said:
Anyhooooo

On a more positive note here is the induction range in the chimney breast with shallow cupboards either side.
The surround will eventually be granite with the back tiles in white metro tiles.

The cupboard in the background has also been stripped back to pine. It's the original larder and was a must keep!

I like how this is shaping up, think it will look great when complete.

Associate
OP

Close up of the reclaimed sink from the garden and the bib taps we went for

And a very grainy photo of the granite slab we chose

Pleased to say everything is finally plumbed back in and granite will be finished next Wednesday

Associate
OP

re-fitted and plumbed in sink myself. Invested (£35) in a wet saw and started the tiling myself.

going to need the plug sockets moved up though as the granite plinth gets in the way.
Sockets are LAP 3.1a USB sockets
Having a wine rack made to fit by in the gap by the fridge.

utility as it stands.
having a cupboard made up around the boiler using a cupboard door reclaimed from elsewhere in the house that matches the larder

Associate
I like the room, but have to say I wouldn't have gone for built-in washing machine/dryer or fridges simply due to lack of capacity. After having an American fridge-freezer and a large capacty Samsung Washer-Dryer I'd never go back to the old small ones again.

With a room like that did you not consider a closed utility area?

Soldato
I like the room, but have to say I wouldn't have gone for built-in washing machine/dryer or fridges simply due to lack of capacity. After having an American fridge-freezer and a large capacty Samsung Washer-Dryer I'd never go back to the old small ones again.

With a room like that did you not consider a closed utility area?

My built in washing machine is 6 or 7kg which is more than enough surely?

We'd love a utility but not an option, our new kitchen will have an under counter integrated fridge with the large fridge freezer hidden in the cellar. I know style above function etc...

Associate
OP
I've got a big American fridge freeze with ice and water thing, and the washing machine and dryer aren't built in they are just made to look like cupboards

Didn't want to close it away and lose the sense of space

I'll get some more pics up to illustrate

Associate
My built in washing machine is 6 or 7kg which is more than enough surely?

The weight rating is largely irrelevant. Built in machines have very small drums (even smaller than standard machines) because they have to fit behind the unit door. You won't be able to cram 7kg in and wash it properly. A large drum LG has reduced the number of washes we do by 50% -
we also can fit large items like pillows/king size quilt in and wash properly, which saves on dry cleaning/laundrettes

IMO it's worth removing the built in and just putting a large capacity LG/Samsung machine in, even though it won't be "hidden" behind a door. My wife didn't like the idea when we did it, but I insisted and now she actually uses it she reluctantly agrees that the bigger drum saves her masses of time.

Soldato
The weight rating is largely irrelevant. Built in machines have very small drums (even smaller than standard machines) because they have to fit behind the unit door. You won't be able to cram 7kg in and wash it properly. A large drum LG has reduced the number of washes we do by 50% -
we also can fit large items like pillows/king size quilt in and wash properly, which saves on dry cleaning/laundrettes

IMO it's worth removing the built in and just putting a large capacity LG/Samsung machine in, even though it won't be "hidden" behind a door. My wife didn't like the idea when we did it, but I insisted and now she actually uses it she reluctantly agrees that the bigger drum saves her masses of time.
Each to there own I'll never go non integrated unless I buy a house with a separate utility they are just way to ugly for me to look at all day!

Soldato
I like the idea of hiding full sized units, did you have to get deeper units to accommodate the doors?

Is there much space the side of each appliance too? I assume there needs to be?

Tiling looks good too, is this your first effort at it?

Associate
OP
Yes the utility is deeper to accommodate the full size appliances and the large sink. The gap at the side is less than 10mm, the washer needs to be levelled well to stop vibrations!

Not my first time tiling, one of the few jobs I can do, I'm very slow though!

Back
Top Bottom