Victorian renovation build log

Soldato
joists are only 75mm so after leaving 50mm for ventilation could only put 25mm in.
This means it will have to be battened out regardless

you'd be as well to just do everything below the joists rather than faffing about cutting sheets to go between them, iirc once you go past 100m the fixings are a bit of a pain to get right - but everything is doable, just get the builders told!
What's the difference in uvalue? would imagine it would be pretty significant, especially in an old roof...

Soldato
Have you looked at rockwool vs kingspan?

Using it in my place and can't fault it, easy to work with and is fireproof, waterproof. I found it most cost effective than kingspan or celotex

Soldato
Have you looked at rockwool vs kingspan?

Using it in my place and can't fault it, easy to work with and is fireproof, waterproof. I found it most cost effective than kingspan or celotex

It's definitely cheaper but has a much greater heat loss (so you need an awful lot more of it to have equivalent performance)

Associate
OP
indeed, you need roughly 300mm rockwool for the equivalent 150mm PIR insulation. Where I have a large roof void i have used 300mm rockwool. Rockwool has better sound deadening properties so will be used in the floors and internal walls

u-value with 150mm = 0.18 W/m²K

u value with 100m = 0.31 W/m²K

Associate
OP
IMG1313.jpg

boarding talking place

IMG1312.jpg

bathroom space stud wall

IMG1310.jpg

Associate
OP
finally they have started on the roof...... just as its forecast thunder storms! :lol:
came home to this

IMG1317.jpg

IMG1319.jpg

IMG1318.jpg

oh and have insisted on 150mm PIR insulation

Associate
OP
all the roofing felt nearly on, they are starting to cut the velux frames in.

I've had a last minute change of mind and increased the size of one of the velux - much bigger

This will mean move both stud wall back to where the large purlins are (where they should have been to start with in my opinion)

windows are from roofingsuperstore and they were great with the exchange/return

Associate
OP
Thats an awesome looking house, have never seen a semi like that have a garage built in.

thanks! For some reason the whole area is semis regardless of size, ours is one of the smaller ones!

the garage is the old basement dug out, done by the previous owners, needs a bit of work and the door is quite narrow but much better use of space.

Soldato
God that must've been a ballache to dig out all the earth to create the driveway down to the garage door.

I really like that style of house, tend to get a lot in South Manchester like that and we've looked there in the past. It's weird how certain areas seem to be more likely to have cellars than others.

Associate
OP
unfortunately they paved it with horrible concrete slabs, plan is to replace with granite sets and have a proper drain channel fitted at the bottom of the garage door..... but other priorities for time being

IMG1322.jpg

bedroom window framed

IMG1321.jpg

bathroom window framed - you can see the stud wall will have to be moved back

IMG1323.jpg

size of the bedroom window and the replacement I ordered

Associate
OP
well this has lost all momentum, no roofers for over a week, water leaking into every room, ceilings and original cornice starting to crumble and me and my 5 month pregnant wife intermittently sleeping on the sofa

:(

Soldato
Oh no, thats a bugger, this rain has really been bad. My mother in law has a leak aswell and is the next job on the roofers list but they keep being delayed.

Must be great being a roofer in the UK, get loads of days off!

(Obviously ignoring how annoying it must actually be to be so dependent on the weather)

Associate
OP
Roof finally on and weather tight!

scaffolded for 4 weeks for 7 days work (and not even full days)

Water damage to all the bedrooms in the meantime

And to cap it all off the suntunnel is about a metre from where it should be so will now go through the middle of the bedroom to the hall!

Useless, needless to say they aren't getting their final installment!

Associate
OP
little update:

head builder cam round and sorted everything without me even asking, faith restored!

Its always an emotional roller-coaster getting big building work done :p

so while the scaffold was up decided to pack my chimney with Micafil insulation (between the old chimney and the liner)
this stuff...
IMG1354.jpg

made a spout in between the liner and stack and poured 100 litres of it in!

IMG1355.jpg

It started coming out in the living room so clearly the register plate was never sealed, explains the drafty front room :rolleyes:
(fire cement on order to fix this)

Associate
OP
and now the scaffold is down work is concentrated inside....

1 of the 4 new floors needed

IMG1353.jpg

and ready to be boarded after some insulation to hopefully cut down sound transmission downstairs and vice-versa
I useing the old loft insulation to save money, and used neoprene/foam joist tape

IMG1386.jpg

Back
Top Bottom