1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vikings - anyone else watching this ?

Discussion in 'US TV shows discussion.' started by lurkio, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Richdog

Capodecina

Hmm the last episode was a bad end to a very inconsistent first half of the season...
    1. Ivar is still damn annoying and his beserker younger brother unconvincing.
    2. The Floki storyline was already weak to start with and is now just plain ridiculous.
    3. Rhys Jones is overacting the Christian Priest part to the point where I want to slap him, his manner of speech is ridiculous.
    4. Jennie Jacques is this entire season overacting the part of Judith to the point of teary-eyed, shaky tedium.
    5. WTF is Rollo doing sending troops against Bjorn and Lagatha? I honestly thought that the French troops would turn around and start butchering Ivar's as part of some sneaky plan. This may have a historical angle but I didn't read up on it and I don't see how it is in his interests unless he wants to destroy the Vikings as a power for good.
    6. The directing and production of the finale just felt really off and disjointed, it didn't have the effect the director was intending with all of the flashbacks imo.
    Anyway, I still like the show, it has moments of greatness and the battles are for the most part impressive and I am looking forward to the next part of the season and hoping that they fix this writing and get the show back on track.

Completely disagree, think the cast has more than enough clout to do it, the problem is the feel of the series has changed and the storyline/direction has gone belly up which has affected the previously solid atmosphere. I think Bjorn is awesome and has developed into a great and very strong character.

EDIT - Seems that critics also think the same... https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...ew-a-bad-ending-to-a-bad-season/#44241d9260e0

Yep, the artsy stuff sucked.

Yup, Halfdan was turning into a very likable character and to have him freaking out on the battlefield and then hewn down by his brother in such ignominious fashion without even lifting his sword was just utterly bizzarre.

As I said above, this makes no sense based on previous episodes.

This was a big "wtf" moment for me too. The majority of their army was slaughtered and all of a sudden then return with massive numbers? Massive continuation error.

Also wondered this. They could have defended the city very effectively and caused a lot of initial casualties without taking any. Sloppy and lazy writing.

Ditto on the above, awful writing and very annoying.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. C-Roy

Perma Banned

I still need to watch the last two seasons of this.

3. opethdisciple

Capodecina

I enjoyed it.

I didn't realise that season 5 was only half way and we still have 10 episodes to come this year.

Next season is also 20 episodes!

4. DisrupTor75

Mobster

At long last it's coming back woohoo.

Cant wait :cool:

5. DeanT77

Wise Guy

I aint even gonna press play on the trailer, I dont want any surprises for this bad boy!

When does it start again? :)

6. DisrupTor75

Mobster

28th November so by the time it come's round there's a good chance I will have forgotten the trailer :D

7. Kyo

Soldato

Looks awesome.

Good advice. Wish I didn't now but couldn't help it. :)

8. Richdog

Capodecina

I hope they have stopped doing the same rubbish as in that dreadful last couple of episodes. The overall quality took a huge drop this season.

9. Combat Fighter

Soldato

Glad vikings is coming back.

This break has taken ages and I need my fix!

10. RobDogDog

Wise Guy

Finally watched it all! Really enjoyed the whole thing apart from when Bjorn and the boys miraculously teleported from sandy Sahara back to Norway.

11. V_R

Sgarrista

I've not started the first half of the series yet, waiting until I can binge the whole thing! :D

12. rotters

Soldato

13. Jonny2284

Wise Guy

Well sort of.

Can't help but notice it hasn't found it's way to Amazon yet.

14. philstanbridge

Man of Honour

History channel? Full of adverts then I presume.

15. rotters

Soldato

well episode 11 of series 5 was good, slow build up episode for more to come.

16. philstanbridge

Man of Honour

I couldn't find it at all! Where was it shown?

17. rotters

Soldato

it will be on british Amazon tonight apparently. I watched it via american Amazon (vpn)

18. Jonny2284

Wise Guy

It's on Amazon now, I watched it there this morning.

19. aaron

Wise Guy

So glad it's back, slow episode but clearly building up to things

20. GJM

Gangster

Anybody else think this has taken a massive slide in quality?

Convoluted plot that I can't really see going anywhere. New random characters that seem thrown in. No sense of urgency or direction. Gore thrown in for effect.

Shame as thus far I've been a huge fan but the last 3 episodes have felt like a different show.