Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Morning, As i said repairing this ps1 slim was too easy, i prefer a challange!

If you have scrambled graphics but perfect sound , first thing to take a look at is the middle cap here :

ps1-cap-orig.jpg

that one normal dies and causes the fault!, little bit of hot air and flux....

ps1-cap-off.jpg

test the cap

ps1-cap-test.jpg

ESR is through the roof, should be around 1 - 1.5ohms. time to replace and test

ps1-cap-new.jpg

crystal-clear.jpg

as i said, repair was so easy it was boring hehe :) , perfect now, My nephew is happy with his refurbed ps1 :)

My ebay customers are loving their new toys as well. I'm surprised how well this stuff sells and the money people are willing to pay for my shoddy work :cry:

Love the little ps one need one of them in my life to fix soon!!

Man of Honour
OP
The switch arrived and the first thing I noticed when it got here.. Gen 1 exploitable fully boxed in great condition. Exciting!!

This is what nintendo said when this was sent for repair:

And out of the box!

Lets dive straight in... its very clean inside! Nice, and we know we are working with port damage to both the dock and the switch, first thing I do before I even take the board out is check around m92 for shorts, first cap i check is for the PI3USB and its shorted :(

Whip off PI3USB!

Slap a new one on!

Life! But it goes to the nintendo screen and boot loops :mad:

It's also not pulling the right current.

But eventually..... We have life gents! Life! Vince repairs what Nintendont! The super observant out there will notice that its not in the super clean chassis it came in and you would be right. I put it in my spare chassis, you remember the switch with the fried cpu? it finally came in useful as a donor. But because there was an issue with the lcd ribbon cable in the original chassis. I didn't take any photos but i did later swap the LCD from this into the other chassis which was a pain because you need to remove the digitizer but it was worth it.

The first place we looked because not pulling correct current is M92 also because it's fragile and made of cheese so we replaced this here M92T36 (Main power IC), we had some better readings at the meter after (0.4amps draw) so again stepping in the right direction:

Next up I measured voltage at vbat (positive battery terminal) when plugged in and no batter connected, bq along with max17050 should generate 4.25v at the coil next to the charge port and also at the vbat test point... This one doesn't so next up we replace this here BQ24193 (Battery Charge IC)

Slapped on a new port and yes they have a hidden row of pins and yes they are a nightmare, it takes some practice but having done a lot of these now I have my own method and none of this heating from the bottom near max17050 business. That's a recipe for disaster that is. I'm slowly honing my switch port skills. A port only is probably a 20 min job now tops and most of that is tearing the console down and putting it back together again.

Knocked off the fuel gauge MAX17050 doing BQ as pushed down a little hard on it to seat it down and bent the board slightly, max on both this and the switch lite is awkwardly placed so BQ on a switch is 50/50 if you knock max17050 and the charge port on the lite is a 50/50 depending on how you do the port, Anyway I re-balled Max and put it back on :cool: It's only got 9 balls so lucky it's only ever the small Max chip I knock off.

And finally back to where we started PI3USB

Gen 1 HAC-CPU-10 board!

Nice screen!

Thats not bad soldering that right there!

Before Joycon test with everything back together, charge current is looking much better! and its back in its normal chassis with the LCD from the old switch.

Joycons work perfectly! Everything works perfectly! Eshop is available as well so the console isn't banned! Current draw again is looking as it should and ive seen it pull the max 1.5a during some streets of rage so we know this little fella is working as it should.

Got some parts on the way for the dock but its all done and I am very happy indeed with my £80 switch.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Got a little project for in the week. Friends little boy has drift on all of these switch controllers so I said I would fix them for him. I am basically a switch repair shop at this point :cry:

Going to replace the pots on the pro controller and swap some new analogues and metal clips in the joycons.

Waiting on some new m92 chips for the switch lite grey that arrived. Megadrive auction finished at £33 so that's getting packed up today ready to send. The Turquoise I did also sold today. Should probably add that one and the other grey one to the spreadsheet. The first grey board I was working on I have spotted what may be wrong there as well so may have another 2 lites this week... one is for my own little project :D

The bits to recalibrate the ps2 laser and xbox laser should be here this week as well so looking forward to fiddling with those. Not really all that much to fix again other than that so I have my eyes out for more retro handhelds really want a lynx but ebay is strong for broken lynx consoles so it's been taking a while to find one im willing to spend on.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Parts are sstarting to turn up for my custom switch lite! I went with this case:

then a brand new LCD, and I need to decide which one of my donor boards I think can be fixed for it... I should be able to make at least one good one out of these when a few chips turn up this week!

I guess I'll just run over them again and see which one if any are salvageable.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I don't suppose you'd have any use in an Xbox 360 would you @Vince ? I've had one sitting around for ages, just gathering dust. I did try it a few months ago and it does still work, but the disc drive is exceptionally noisy, but if it's any use for parts you can have it if you're happy to cover postage...

Man of Honour
OP
I don't suppose you'd have any use in an Xbox 360 would you @Vince ? I've had one sitting around for ages, just gathering dust. I did try it a few months ago and it does still work, but the disc drive is exceptionally noisy, but if it's any use for parts you can have it if you're happy to cover postage...

I could fix it :D - poke the laser with a stick or something. Plus being a 360 you know it's only going to die next week anyway! Sounds like fun to me.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I could fix it :D - poke the laser with a stick or something. Plus being a 360 you know it's only going to die next week anyway! Sounds like fun to me.

Ha! You're more than welcome to it, it was only going to get thrown out at the tip on the next trip there! So if it's useful in any way then it's yours! I'll get all the bits together and get a box and a quote for postage and I'll drop you a trust and go from there!

Man of Honour
OP
Ha! You're more than welcome to it, it was only going to get thrown out at the tip on the next trip there! So if it's useful in any way then it's yours! I'll get all the bits together and get a box and a quote for postage and I'll drop you a trust and go from there!

Sweet - Cheers dude - I shall try and fix it or something!

Man of Honour
OP
Master system sold with boxed copy of sonic for a massive £11 - probably spent half of that on RCA etc :cry: - I recon overall I made nothing on the master system! At least somebody has a decent working console though.

Man of Honour
OP
They got an amazing deal!

Happy days - I hope they feel that way, at the end of the day it was in the £30 lot that had the gameboy in it so i've had my fun with it and made my money back anyway. If a few people get some bargains and pick up an old console that's been given a new lease of life for a bit then I can't complain. It's less about money really more about fiddling with and seeing if I can fix stuff/repair/mod stuff.

I'm still totally undecided on what to do with my proper switch. I invested a good few hours into that one and now i'm reluctant to sell it. Although I could do with the cash to go towards buying more... I have my eyes on a broken ps5 :D

Soldato
Although I could do with the cash to go towards buying more... I have my eyes on a broken ps5 :D
Would be great to trade up in that way, a fun journey with a great prize!

I've just been given a boxed PSP, with original receipt, working condition unknown. Going to order a new battery, and give it a go. Definitely due a replacement shell if it's a runner :p

Man of Honour
Master system sold with boxed copy of sonic for a massive £11 - probably spent half of that on RCA etc :cry: - I recon overall I made nothing on the master system! At least somebody has a decent working console though.

Have you thought about setting up a YouTube channel to supplement the income?

Man of Honour
OP
Would be great to trade up in that way, a fun journey with a great prize!

I've just been given a boxed PSP, with original receipt, working condition unknown. Going to order a new battery, and give it a go. Definitely due a replacement shell if it's a runner :p

PSP!! I love my little PSP.... Get that baby working! To be honest I haven't come across a faulty one yet that doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom