Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Hey @Vince,

Appreciate this is straying from the console light somewhat but was wondering if I could pick your brain... I picked up a non-working router thinking it was just a NOR flash replacement, but it seems there's a bigger problem on the board somewhere. The NOR chip was indeed toast (unable to read it on or off the board), so I've replaced that but I'm still at a loss as to why it won't power up.

Thinking if the NOR chip was cooked then it might have taken a jolt, but before I call it I was wondering if you could suggest any other avenues for diagnosis. This is the board: https://imgur.com/a/hFUAnxg, I can read 12V at the lower left of the board in the first pic at the socket, diode and at various resistors so I know the board is getting power.

I assume something has shorted to ground, but don't have a clue how to start picking that apart.

Cheers in advance!

You got a multimeter? First thing to check is go either side of the coil in red checking for continuity to ground. Next up have a look at that blue area, the top right pin looks like a cold joint. Not sure what that is for but start there. There is also a fuse (or is it a resistor) on the output of the dc jack, just check there isn't a ton of resistance through that. I can't imagine there would be as being a router id imagine its probably something like 0.5amp or something small If it is a fuse, cant tell as pic is a bit blurry there.

Yep, it's an Amazon special but it'll do for the moment I guess. Never did get around to splurging out on a Fluke Meter..!

Coil reads the same on both sides to ground (113 indicated on continuity mode), the tiniest of blips when you make first connection with the probes but no continuity.

The blue area is a USB3 port, it's a little bit crusty from flux/iso run off when I replaced the NOR chip. The resistor in R52 (bottom left) reads ok.

Soldato
@Vince I occasionally change pcbs on quite a few appliance, we don't go to your level of component change but change modules instead.
It always feels a bit wasteful, so wondered if they'd be of any use to use for component salvage?

Meant to say induction modules probably the most useful plenty of ibgt, mosfet, caps and resistors.

Man of Honour
OP
@Vince I occasionally change pcbs on quite a few appliance, we don't go to your level of component change but change modules instead.
It always feels a bit wasteful, so wondered if they'd be of any use to use for component salvage?

Meant to say induction modules probably the most useful plenty of ibgt, mosfet, caps and resistors.

It's hard to say as a lot of stuff i work on is quite specific id love to make use of stuff like this but right now im just trying to keep my donor collection down a little bit. I could do with fets though but it depends on what type of fets they are this is the problem, working out compatible parts is so difficult sometimes.

Man of Honour
OP
Little update on stuff. I still fix a lot of switches and a lot of GG's. I've got people who send me random things to fix and pay me with consoles and other broken things it's great. A few days ago I was working on a gg and I decided to go full mod on it again, this time also changing over leds.

I liked it so much I'm keeping it. In the process of buying fixing and selling stuff the gg collection continues to grow:

I don't make massive money but I also spend basically nothing buying, selling and building a collection. I'm at a point where I can buy 10 or 15 consoles a month and it pays for itself. Its also got a great community around it so people pay me to fix stuff with more broken stuff.

I'm also still waiting on parts for the gpu repair it's taking forever.

Switch wise I've fixed all sorts.. Thus blue screen unpatched....

Fixed...

Switch wise we tackle most things bar a completely shorted apu.

Last edited:
Hey @Vince,

Would you be up for a little commissioned work? Basically, I've run out of talent. It was a short race. :D

Long story short, I'm trying to do this: https://www.devicelocksmith.com/2021/09/modding-devices-with-emmc-flash-wip.html?m=1 in order to repair a router. I need the interposer as I'll likely be back and forth with the firmware, so I figured this would be a good route.

I've removed the old dead eMMC chip, losing a few pads in the process but looking at BGA153 schematics I think I'm in the clear save for maybe one VCC pin. Would you be able to ball the interposer and attach it to the router PCB for me please? Happy to pay to/from and for your time obviously.

yEW6vs9.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Hey @Vince,

Would you be up for a little commissioned work? Basically, I've run out of talent. It was a short race. :D

Long story short, I'm trying to do this: https://www.devicelocksmith.com/2021/09/modding-devices-with-emmc-flash-wip.html?m=1 in order to repair a router. I need the interposer as I'll likely be back and forth with the firmware, so I figured this would be a good route.

I've removed the old dead eMMC chip, losing a few pads in the process but looking at BGA153 schematics I think I'm in the clear save for maybe one VCC pin. Would you be able to ball the interposer and attach it to the router PCB for me please? Happy to pay to/from and for your time obviously.

yEW6vs9.jpg

That looks doable, will you need the vcc line repaired and is it easy to trace? I don't have a template but it's not a crazy amount of balls so can reball it by hand. I'll have a proper read through that link but it doesn't look to tricky to sort out.

That looks doable, will you need the vcc line repaired and is it easy to trace? I don't have a template but it's not a crazy amount of balls so can reball it by hand. I'll have a proper read through that link but it doesn't look to tricky to sort out.

I do have a template, but tbh it's crap and I think I bit warped. I tried balling with paste and balls and it refused to take.

There are 3 other VCC lines on the pin out diagram that look to have pads still so I assume it should be ok.

Thanks matey

Man of Honour
OP
I do have a template, but tbh it's crap and I think I bit warped. I tried balling with paste and balls and it refused to take.

There are 3 other VCC lines on the pin out diagram that look to have pads still so I assume it should be ok.

Thanks matey

There is some tricks to reballing with a template and paste - just gotta know the tricks. Happy to throw that chip on that board for you though.

Still waiting on that gpu mosfet... feels like it's been on my bench for an age.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
@drakulton- I think our fets have turned up my dude!! Random package arrived today at home and the only things I can think I'm waiting on are fets and inductors for your GPU. Should have some updates by the weekend. Watch this space my friend!!

Fwiw the 1r0 inductors that turned up yesterday are the wrong size... I've re-ordered but will pop the larger inductor on for testing anyway, it's way over spec but will still work perfect if I can make it fit.

Soldato
@drakulton- I think our fets have turned up my dude!! Random package arrived today at home and the only things I can think I'm waiting on are fets and inductors for your GPU. Should have some updates by the weekend. Watch this space my friend!!

Fwiw the 1r0 inductors that turned up yesterday are the wrong size... I've re-ordered but will pop the larger inductor on for testing anyway, it's way over spec but will still work perfect if I can make it fit.

Cheers Vince, ordering bits and bobs from China is great fun when random packages turn up and you've forgotten all about them, or what they were for.

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers Vince, ordering bits and bobs from China is great fun when random packages turn up and you've forgotten all about them, or what they were for.

Just got home and it is indeed the fet. Ordered 1 and they sent 3... they were meant to come from the USA but eventually came from a place in London??? Ebay for you I guess.

We will know over the next day or two if my diagnosis is correct. We can also make 1r0 work... sure it's a bit bigger than the original 1r0 but it will fit.

Man of Honour
OP
@drakulton - your 1070 is fixed sir...

Worked first boot. It was exactly what I said, failed vcore mosfet... and the exact mosfet I pointed out. You owe me a beer :D:cry:

And here is a picture with all its shiny new parts on...

Last edited:
Soldato
@drakulton - your 1070 is fixed sir...

Worked first boot.
Vince, you are an absolute legend. The card has been keeping papers tidy on my desk for a long time now. Not as nice looking as the millefiori one but it served the same function.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Can you 'trust' me your details as there are beer credits inbound.

Back
Top Bottom