Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Also @randal - Not massively busy today, few smaller things I need to clear off but otherwise I think I will sort out your board a bit later today :) 18 jumpers is all we need! lets see if we can manage it.

Soldato
How have I missed this thread?. Unreal work fella and a few memories popping back into the head too, my wee brother had a gamegear when they first came out and almost instantly broke the charging module physically and had to use a never ending supy of batteries to play sonic and f1. I've worked in IT 20 odd years, repaired laptops etc but always shyed away from anything that needs a magnifying glass, I'd really wish i'd taken the time to learn it properly tbh.

Man of Honour
OP
How have I missed this thread?. Unreal work fella and a few memories popping back into the head too, my wee brother had a gamegear when they first came out and almost instantly broke the charging module physically and had to use a never ending supy of batteries to play sonic and f1. I've worked in IT 20 odd years, repaired laptops etc but always shyed away from anything that needs a magnifying glass, I'd really wish i'd taken the time to learn it properly tbh.

It's hidden away from all the rif raff :cry: It's never too late to learn. I learn mostly by just attacking stuff and seeing what happens.

Man of Honour
OP
I wait with baited breath, I have no doubt you'll smash that out in no time. Have you got a Raspberry Pi to hand to get a console out of the router?

I put it off today for something easier because I went to lunch with the mrs and had a few beers. I did have a look at that forum users 1080ti and diagnose that quickly but thats got to wait for parts now. I also finished a half done GG that has been sitting on my desk for weeks.

Same old on this one, mlcc recap for the main board, mlcc's on sound, elctros on the power board. 35v rail removal and IPS install. 3d printed bracket for the screen. There is also some trace repair on the sound board.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's hidden away from all the rif raff :cry: It's never too late to learn. I learn mostly by just attacking stuff and seeing what happens.
Ugh dont, the only thing I have that needs repair right now is a Dell Precision 5520 that sparked out and needs something on the mainboard. No idea where to even start.

Man of Honour
OP
Need to spend me some time with the mask but check it out... we have all the data lines.

I'm going to mask and label all those lines next. Still probably a few days off completion if I am honest... mind you the connector is on etc so perhaps tomorrow :)

Soldato
@drakulton - Any update on the 1070? :p

Currently doing trials with the original rajintek double sided thermal tape until the silver cement turns up. When I first tried the tape it was absolutely rubbish, as the heatsinks were dropping off the GPU as I was installing it in the PC. I took some of the sinks and tape to work and got them fixed quite firmly only after warming the parts up with a heatgun. They don't mention melting the tape in the rajintek instructions.

Man of Honour
OP
Currently doing trials with the original rajintek double sided thermal tape until the silver cement turns up. When I first tried the tape it was absolutely rubbish, as the heatsinks were dropping off the GPU as I was installing it in the PC. I took some of the sinks and tape to work and got them fixed quite firmly only after warming the parts up with a heatgun. They don't mention melting the tape in the rajintek instructions.

Ahh good stuff, do you fire it up and see it was posting fine on your machine?

Man of Honour
OP
Great news! Hope it doesn't give you to much trouble.

Does this card fail to post? I don't see any shorts on it at all! Resistance on vCore looks a little low.... Im thinking I might need to plug this in and see what its doing.

I will boot it and check all of its power rails later... Looks like a possible low resistance on vcore issue (which could be something as simple as a resistor on 5v detect). Wont be able to tell without measuring it while it has power going to it. Will need to check if all of its power rails are coming up we should be able to see 5v, 1.8v, 12v etc at the coils which is fairly simple.... Ill update on this one later... I can tell you it isn't a common fet issue, but something much more interesting!

Will commandeer the wifes machine tonight and poke it with the pointy sticks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does this card fail to post? I don't see any shorts on it at all! Resistance on vCore looks a little low.... Im thinking I might need to plug this in and see what its doing.

I will boot it and check all of its power rails later... Looks like a possible low resistance on vcore issue (which could be something as simple as a resistor on 5v detect). Wont be able to tell without measuring it while it has power going to it. Will need to check if all of its power rails are coming up we should be able to see 5v, 1.8v, 12v etc at the coils which is fairly simple.... Ill update on this one later... I can tell you it isn't a common fet issue, but something much more interesting!

Will commandeer the wifes machine tonight and poke it with the pointy sticks.

If I rememberly correctly it will post in a machine but with no image, if you have the sound on you would hear the windows log in noise.

If I put it in a second slot, I think it was visible in device manager put had an error on it.

Man of Honour
OP
If I rememberly correctly it will post in a machine but with no image, if you have the sound on you would hear the windows log in noise.

If I put it in a second slot, I think it was visible in device manager put had an error on it.

Interesting - so it's not entirely dead as I suspected. Will check all of the voltages on the most common rails later and see if that tells us anything.

Need to spend me some time with the mask but check it out... we have all the data lines.

I'm going to mask and label all those lines next. Still probably a few days off completion if I am honest... mind you the connector is on etc so perhaps tomorrow :)
Way hey, look at it go. Seriously impressive stuff, you must have a very steady hand!

Back
Top Bottom