Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Way hey, look at it go. Seriously impressive stuff, you must have a very steady hand!

That's not the greatest picture of it! This is a better picture of it:

I'm going to need a new scope soon I'm slowly burning it to death.

I will of corse mask it all up and test all the lines

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
@randal - I shall finish it this weekend. I do have a pi but it's currently running octopi but can plug the router into my 3d printer for some testing. At some point once all assembled I shall need to pick your brain. All wires are now on the chip. I just need to attach said chip to the router. Sorry I am taking my time on it buddy its just super fiddly and small so I am doing it a bit at a time between other "jobs"

Soldato
Apologies for hijacking 'Vince's router and retro console repair thread' but I've had a GTX1070 that's been doing paperweight stuff for a while now. It just died during it's sleep. Vince kindly prodded it with the pointy sticks and stuck some little working thingies onto it.
So, now it's doing VR graphics card stuff.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif
The noctuas run at a blistering 27%, could be slower but that's as slow as an FE card will allow. Max temps were 39°C I still need to colour the ally heatsinks black and tidy the cabling, but loving the chonky look of the card.

Thanks @Vince

52115681185_ec95e7e918_k.jpg

@randal - I shall finish it this weekend. I do have a pi but it's currently running octopi but can plug the router into my 3d printer for some testing. At some point once all assembled I shall need to pick your brain. All wires are now on the chip. I just need to attach said chip to the router. Sorry I am taking my time on it buddy its just super fiddly and small so I am doing it a bit at a time between other "jobs"

No rush at all, appreciate you've got a pile of stuff as well as life in general! Maybe jump on Discord or something?

Man of Honour
OP
Apologies for hijacking 'Vince's router and retro console repair thread' but I've had a GTX1070 that's been doing paperweight stuff for a while now. It just died during it's sleep. Vince kindly prodded it with the pointy sticks and stuck some little working thingies onto it.
So, now it's doing VR graphics card stuff.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif
The noctuas run at a blistering 27%, could be slower but that's as slow as an FE card will allow. Max temps were 39°C I still need to colour the ally heatsinks black and tidy the cabling, but loving the chonky look of the card.

Thanks @Vince

52115681185_ec95e7e918_k.jpg

That's awesome - My first GPU repair. Thanks for letting us all know how it went. Very happy with this :D

Man of Honour
OP
Awww - Put some batteries in my Lynx tonight to have a little play, it didn't work. :mad: something is wrong with its power stage, I don't know what, i think it might be the zen diode but something is wrong with it, I am pretty sure it's not the U6 hex inverter as I probed it with the scope and checked it against the data sheet and it is seemingly doing exactly what it should do, although that was after I bought 20 of the chips :rolleyes:. In the end I did manage to jumper up the fet and get it working though but that is not good for it. I have now got a full power stage rebuild kit on the way just to be sure as it looks like somebody in the past has changed the power stage from stock which I find weird. I checked what is on the board against its schematics and mine has q4 as an M6 (s9015) transistor and q13 as an L6 (2sc1623) while the schematic shows them both as a 2n3906 which is a 2A transistor (all sot-23 package). Anyway it's all boring stuff that has just consumed 3 hours of my life, what I don't understand is why it worked fine a few weeks ago. I used it, turned it off, put it away and boom, dead.

Not overly happy with the thing right now. Am hoping that the power stage rebuild kit does the job.

Last edited:
Soldato
Discovered this thread a week ago and have been slowly reading through it. Watching your confidence and talent grow has been amazing!
Coincidentally I have also been watching StezStix Fix on youtube which also does similar things.

Man of Honour
OP
@randal - done some more of yours today and I think I'm pretty much ready for us to test!! Do need to clean up the work a bit as it's a bit messy but I'll tackle that in the morning/this evening for a chat over discord either tomorrow or day after, whatever works for you.

@strumpusplunket - fets for your 1080ti came in. Given its already prepped and ready I should know later tonight if she works when I quickly fit a new fet and test.

I've been a bit slow on updates in general as sadly my Dad passed away at the weekend and it hit me pretty hard so finding any motivation for anything has been a bit tough. Today was the first day in about a week where the soldering iron came back out to try and hit some of this backlog.

It was actually good for the head space to get back into some repairs again today and really took the mind off of other things so tomorrow I'll very likely do some more!

Man of Honour
OP
Dell precision 5520 i7 7th gen.

I'd take it on no issue but have a backlog which I'm slowly working through. If you want me to take a look and aren't so bothered on a quick turn around then happy to discuss in PM and will take it on for content and a few beers. Happy to at least have a discussion on it.

Soldato
@randal - done some more of yours today and I think I'm pretty much ready for us to test!! Do need to clean up the work a bit as it's a bit messy but I'll tackle that in the morning/this evening for a chat over discord either tomorrow or day after, whatever works for you.

@strumpusplunket - fets for your 1080ti came in. Given its already prepped and ready I should know later tonight if she works when I quickly fit a new fet and test.

I've been a bit slow on updates in general as sadly my Dad passed away at the weekend and it hit me pretty hard so finding any motivation for anything has been a bit tough. Today was the first day in about a week where the soldering iron came back out to try and hit some of this backlog.

It was actually good for the head space to get back into some repairs again today and really took the mind off of other things so tomorrow I'll very likely do some more!

Oh, so sorry to hear that. That's just awful.

Take care of yourself.

Soldato

Sorry to hear that Vince, Hope you and your family are coping ok.

Soldato
I'd take it on no issue but have a backlog which I'm slowly working through. If you want me to take a look and aren't so bothered on a quick turn around then happy to discuss in PM and will take it on for content and a few beers. Happy to at least have a discussion on it.
Absolutely but in your own time, sorry to hear about your dad, all I can say is that time does help, it never heals but it does help.

Drop me a pm sometime when you're feeling up to it, zero rush, other things are much more important in life than possessions. ;)

Woo, thanks matey. I'm around all day tomorrow and most of the weekend. My deepest condolences again for you loss, very sorry to hear of your sad news.

Soldato

My sympathies for you and your family. :(

Man of Honour
OP
Oh, so sorry to hear that. That's just awful.

Take care of yourself.

Sorry to hear that Vince, Hope you and your family are coping ok.

Absolutely but in your own time, sorry to hear about your dad, all I can say is that time does help, it never heals but it does help.

Drop me a pm sometime when you're feeling up to it, zero rush, other things are much more important in life than possessions. ;)

Woo, thanks matey. I'm around all day tomorrow and most of the weekend. My deepest condolences again for you loss, very sorry to hear of your sad news.

My sympathies for you and your family. :(

Thanks Gents appreciate it! I didn't want you all to think I have just gone silent with no updates. I know I have some of your kit and am very aware that no updates could look like I have just got up and walked away from it all which I can assure you isn't the case. Of course I still have the odd day here and there and likely will going forward where I just don't want to deal with the world but time does wonders, it doesn't heal like they say but it does make it easier. Plus that's 3 family members gone to a better place in the last 18 months... They say things come in 3's right? That's my 3 done.

Permabanned
you're doing amazing work mate, just concentrate on whatever makes you happy/keeps you busy and you'll get through it. the hardest thing is finding the motivation to start fiddling with something then before you know it hours have passed.
I've read all this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it whilst hungover haha you're doing gods work! nice one!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom