Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
Off topic ppl!!!

What do we think the best Wireless router is for NTL/Virgin?

Upto £50-£60 pennies??

Any one think these are any good? Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-AG108

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've never had any real problems with my WRT54GS v5.1, I occasionally need to reboot it (maybe once every couple of months, tops), but other than that it's been great in the year or so that I've had it.

I installed DD-WRT Micro on it last week, Impressed so far :cool:

Soldato
Id recommend the Netgear WPN824, rock solid paired with my Netgear PCI card, my actual network speed seems to be about 22-25mb/sec with full strength signal with WPA on going through 1 floor and a good 3-4 walls, never had to have it reset either.

Only problem is, its only going to last one more upgrade to 20mb then the network will be slowing the connection down. :(

Soldato
DreXeL said:
I've never had any real problems with my WRT54GS v5.1, I occasionally need to reboot it (maybe once every couple of months, tops), but other than that it's been great in the year or so that I've had it.

I installed DD-WRT Micro on it last week, Impressed so far :cool:

Which version did you use? :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
tweakinfreak said:
Which version did you use? :)

Version 2.3 SP2 Micro, installed by following these instructions:

http://www.wrtrouters.com/guides/upgradetolinux/

Must admit I thought I had bricked it a couple of times during installation :o

Also had a problem in that it wouldn't pick up a WAN IP addy from Virgin after flashing it, then I realised DD-WRT gave the router a new MAC address. So I cloned the original MAC that was on the router and Robert's your Mother's Brother :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Great thanks for the linky ;)

Wouldn't say I was unhappy with my Linksys but I have heard good things about the Buffalo and with summer coming I must make sure I can sit in the garden and work from home on those hot summer days :cool:

Give you my thought's when mine arrives tomoz :)

Associate
Gimpymoo said:
OBSCENE download speeds for the win.

Thank you Richard Branson.

(Hugs Usenet Subscription)

Do you use Blueyonder/Virgin servers for Usenet? They really are blinding fast... Retention is shocking 3 days or so, but if you keep on top of your downloads, I dont see the point of a paid subscription

Soldato
Virgin newsgroups do not list ALL newsgroups, only a select few.

I agree deecent speeds are obtained although its worth paying as you get access to nearly all groups.

Depends what your interests are I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom