Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Associate
lol you guys are complaining about ure service look at my 10mb Virgin speeds... has been like this for nearly a week. I'm a student in Nottingham... what a joke.

speedzzbe8.jpg

Associate
i've emailed them.. no reply and i rung them.. "this is gonna cost 60p minute" and we only have mobiles in the house. What i dont get is the upload is fine, but the download speed is relative to 56k. We've checked peoples computers on the network and no one is downloading or anything. Is there any program that shows people on the network and how much bandwidth they're using, incase there's something not obviously using the bandwidth up?

Soldato
Sorry for sounding simple...but why not ring their free 150 number? Also I mean use their newsgroups...NOT e-mail.

news.blueyonder.co.uk

blueyonder.support.access.hi-speed

Have you tried removing the router from the equation?

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Saint said:
lol you guys are complaining about ure service look at my 10mb Virgin speeds... has been like this for nearly a week. I'm a student in Nottingham... what a joke.

speedzzbe8.jpg

Where in Nottingham? I get perfect 10meg speeds (~1.2MB/s) however, it dips to around 700-800K/sec when everyones connected to my AP.

Soldato
Saint said:

speedzzbe8.jpg

I am on the same server too matey and getting equally poor performance as of late...

I aint paying £35 a month for this rubbish!

EDIT... Just tried it again and got this:

How odd...

Last edited:
Associate
Skyline said:
I am on the same server too matey and getting equally poor performance as of late...

How odd...

I don't find speedtest.net to be that reliable really. I certainly wouldn't assume that it's results are your actual connection speed. You can test your speed 1 minute and get something really pathetic then test it again and get full speed. It's not the greatest speed test, it just looks pretty.

Soldato
Skyline said:

How odd...

As has been said...speedtest is rather unreliable so I don't understand why you're basing everything from there.

If you don't max you connection out on gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk - then maybe something is wrong...

Associate
Saint said:

speedzzbe8.jpg

A few weeks ago most nights i was getting download speeds of around 1 meg and we are on the 10mbps package(34.99 a month) from virgin media.

I rang tech support up and they went through all the usual questions u know you could answer yourself so they sent an engineer out.

The engineer tested my modem(its the silver ntl 200 modem) and said apart from the signal level being high(which he adjusted) it was fine.

He did say to me that at night time when the traffic gets heavier.(i.e. people come home from work and use the internet more in your local area through your isp..) that speeds may vary and they are "working" on resolving that situation which is ongoing.

It is a bit crap though as you say because i think you may find that any time before 3 or 4pm in the afternoon and it should download at the full 10mbps.

I usually find that my donwload speeds go crap in the evening when of course everybody and there other half is using the internet aswell.

Still not what u pay 34.99 a month for is it really to have a service that can be "abit" on and off.

p.s. im am in the newark area which is near notts.

Caporegime
I agree speedtest is not very reliable I did a test here at work a few weeks ago and got this,

Now today I get this

Not often you see upload quicker than download either :p

Soldato
snow patrol said:
anyone got comments on the level of service for the 10meg package around North London / Harrow / Middlesex? Thanks :)

I'm from Yeading, Middlesex and get max speeds 24/7 if that's anything to go by (Probably connected to the Northolt UBR which is near Harrow). No throttle trials going on here either (yet!)

HTH
:)

Soldato
snow patrol said:
anyone got comments on the level of service for the 10meg package around North London / Harrow / Middlesex? Thanks :)

Other half is on VM in that part of town (ex NTL) and she says its been fine bar one incident requiring an engineer call-out a month or so ago.

Soldato
Probably been asked, but does the upload speed change at all? At the moment it is 512KB up, which is almost maxed when you are downloading at 1200KB a second... I hope they will at the least put it to 768 or 1MB, or the 20MB will be kind of a waste :/

Back
Top Bottom