Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Caged said:
Make sure you have routers which can route 20Mbps though

Im using an NTL:250 and ive just bought a new router (netgear WNR854T), im hoping its up to the job... I didnt even think of checking the router to see if it was adequate when ordering. :(

As for the Virgin/NTL service, ive had no trouble recently maxing out my connection and its rock solid... which is nice.

Last edited:
I've got the Surfboard 3100 and it struggles with the 10 Mb so don't think it'll take the 20 Mb somehow. ;)

It's all a bit pointless though if they still insist on traffic shaping resulting in half your speed.

afraser2k said:
They wanted £50 last time I asked for a new cable modem. :(
Sounds like they were trying to rip you off... I phoned them up when i got put on 10mb and asked if the old NTL:120 could handle the speed as it seemed a bit slow... they sent an engineer out 2 days later and swapped it for a NTL:250 free of charge.

DreederOcUK said:
Sounds like they were trying to rip you off... I phoned them up when i got put on 10mb and asked if the old NTL:120 could handle the speed as it seemed a bit slow... they sent an engineer out 2 days later and swapped it for a NTL:250 free of charge.

From what I've read on other forums it just seems to be random depending on who you speak to in their customer service, like most VM/NTL deals.

My stupid modem crashes all the time, have to unplug it to get it going again. While its working it usually runs flat out all the time.

Will they be increasing the upload does anyone know?

mr_x_plosion said:
My stupid modem crashes all the time, have to unplug it to get it going again. While its working it usually runs flat out all the time.

Will they be increasing the upload does anyone know?

upload will be 768K

I have one of them old skool massive Terayon TJ210 modems. I tried to get a new one by phoning them up when the 10mbit service was rolled out, but I gave up in the end as ntl didnt have a clue what I was going on about.

Im only getting 6mbps if im lucky, hopefully the 20mbit rollout wont be so much of a farse

I get the feeling Broadband is going the same way as digital cameras. The digi camera companies know that the vast majority of consumers now only take into account how many megapixels a camera has and immediatly equate more = better (i.e. 8mp is much better than 6mp). Of course all other things being equal that's true, except all other things aren't equal.

Broadband has gon the same way. 20mb must be twice as good as 10m. If the cable companies backbones and websites etc had unlimited bandwidth to cope, and low latency connections that might be true. But they don't.

To be honest, I'd much rather have a 2mb low latency, low contention reliable connection than 20mb high latency connection that suffers from disconnects.

I have to ask, what on earth does anyone use 20mb for other than the odd download of a demo?

Last edited:
People ALWAYS want more? Thats the way it is!

Demo, Music, Movies etc etc

I know people that down loads 10 - 20gig a week and just store it on drives? Find it strange but hey its a free world :D

I want 20mb as im topping out my 10mb, imagine u want to download a film and watch it right away, now a full DVD takes me 1 hour download, dont see why it wont take half that time with double the speed. :D

True enough, but there's only so much you can download unless it's dodgy software/films etc in which case shame on you :p

Wouldn't a low contention low latency reliable connection be a better solution for most people.?

Don't get me wrong, if you get all of the above + better speeds then great, I just wonder if the Broadband companies are taking us for mugs a little much like the whole megapixel thing for consumer digicameras. Lets face it, for you average pocket camera 10mp offers nothing over 5mp unles syou're into mega poster sized prints or lots of zoom/cropping. People have just come to believe more = better...

Just wondering...

Dont really know what you are getting at. My Cable connection IS perfectly reliable and my latency to UK servers is around the 20ms mark. Cannot remember ever getting less than 10mb either.

Roll on 20mb. And yes i will use it. I will be streaming a lot of TV via Joost when i get the invite, as well as demos, music, Films and games (all legal you understand) Its nice to be able to have something quick ;)

Sounds good...

Most of the feedback I'd heard from NTL users and others on high bandwidth offerings was that latency tended to be awful and come 8pm things started to crawl along with regular disconnects from downloads/games etc.

As i said at the begining, if you can get all of it (reliability, low latency and high bandwidth) then it's a great solution, just as long as the infrastructure can keep up with more and more users maxing out 20mb pipes on movies etc

Back
Top Bottom