Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
Mines the same... Very hit and miss tonight. (on 4mb)

one minute i am getting close to full speed.

getting 'ok' speeds at the minute..

this was at 7pm ish

Last edited:
Soldato
I am supposedly on 10Mbit. :rolleyes:

105241097.png

Soldato
Indeed. People put WAY too much faith in random speed tests. Try downloading from a known-good source. For example, my results to that site are erratic, but downloads from reliable providers and news-groups max my connection every time.

Associate
I have 10MB from Virgin(NTL) and as we speak I am downloading at 1.14MB/sec right now

I bet most metering sites dont even have such bandwidth to measure:p

Commissario
DreederOcUK said:
So am I.... that website seems to give very poor figures which I can easily beat using pretty much any other downloading source.

Hint, with that speedtest site try multiple different servers to test from, some can/do give really poor results at times whilst a test 10 seconds later on one of the other servers might give a great result (I would guess some of the test servers are on poor/overloaded connections themselves at times).

tested on the London server and got about <4mb, then tested on the German one a minute or so later and got 9.6x the other day..

Soldato
I wish the "different server" trick worked for me, but it doesn't. I have tried that, tried usenet, and tried multiple downloads straight from Blueyonder servers and I have never broken 900kB/s (7.2Mbit.) :(

Friend of mine just down the road, literally two or three minutes walk away, gets full 10Mbit speeds and he's not even on 10Mbit. He's on 4Mbit but gets 10Mbit for the trialling of it in our area.

Really frustrating to be honest, I might call them again tomorrow.

Soldato
If you cant get the full speed from blueyonders game demo site then they should do something, personally i cant see me ever getting full speed from anywhere apart from the games files site and usenet, tbh whats the point in being on 10 or 20 meg if you dont use usenet. You may aswell save your money and go on 4.

Soldato
schnipps said:
If you cant get the full speed from blueyonders game demo site then they should do something, personally i cant see me ever getting full speed from anywhere apart from the games files site and usenet, tbh whats the point in being on 10 or 20 meg if you dont use usenet. You may aswell save your money and go on 4.
I completely agree. I do use usenet but I only get 4Mbit speeds from that anyway. :(

I will phone them today and ask them what the crack is.

Associate
Athanor said:
Sounds like they've worked on the infrastructure and really improved then. Ping times for games along with disconnections were always the achillies heal for NTL, sounds like they're on a roll now though :)

Really? - I must have been extremely lucky over the past 6 years on all my different NTL lines.

Soldato
matja said:
Really? - I must have been extremely lucky over the past 6 years on all my different NTL lines.
I can't speak for NTL but on Telewest I never really saw pings above 15-20ms.

I always assumed NTL pings were the same as it's the same company.

Soldato
Dutch777 said:
Looking at your upload speed you are on 20mb, are they trialing in your area ?
Yes they are, but what on earth is going on with my download? :confused:

It's always like this, I am supposed to be on 10Mbit lol. :o

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
I wish the "different server" trick worked for me, but it doesn't. I have tried that, tried usenet, and tried multiple downloads straight from Blueyonder servers and I have never broken 900kB/s (7.2Mbit.) :(

Friend of mine just down the road, literally two or three minutes walk away, gets full 10Mbit speeds and he's not even on 10Mbit. He's on 4Mbit but gets 10Mbit for the trialling of it in our area.

Really frustrating to be honest, I might call them again tomorrow.

At least you're getting a decent upload speed. :(

Soldato
Slyvester said:
At least you're getting a decent upload speed. :(
Just for anyone reading this, Slyvester and I practically live two minutes walk from eachother and are on the same ISP. This is a joke IMHO, I am so ringing Virgin today!! :mad: :mad:

He's not even on 10Mbit, he's on 4Mbit for Christ's sake. I am supposed to be officially on 10Mbit. :eek: :confused:

Back
Top Bottom