Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
at the mo i always get full speed and very good pings, i tried adsl and it was awful for me, brought an end to my online gaming.

remember ntl have a better retention ratio than your average adsl supplier unless you pay much more for it.

I do hope it continues with 20mb though, just imagine if my connection slowed down every time my neighbour was downloading :eek:

Soldato
they need to get the 10mb service working properly first! im sat here with a 350Kbit connection tearing my hair out! where have my other 9650Kbit's gone?

Soldato
Smitho3 said:
they need to get the 10mb service working properly first! im sat here with a 350Kbit connection tearing my hair out! where have my other 9650Kbit's gone?
Aye, I am supposed to be on 10Mbit and my download speed doesn't go past 900KB/s (7.2Mbit) even from usenet or Blueyonder servers with multiple downloads. They said it's "noise on the line" on the UBR in my area, but I doubt it.

Looking forward to May 1st when my 20Mbit connection will probably do about 10Mbit. :(

Soldato
mr_x_plosion said:
at the mo i always get full speed and very good pings, i tried adsl and it was awful for me, brought an end to my online gaming.

remember ntl have a better retention ratio than your average adsl supplier unless you pay much more for it.

I do hope it continues with 20mb though, just imagine if my connection slowed down every time my neighbour was downloading :eek:
Sounds like they've worked on the infrastructure and really improved then. Ping times for games along with disconnections were always the achillies heal for NTL, sounds like they're on a roll now though :)

Soldato
Athanor said:
Sounds like they've worked on the infrastructure and really improved then. Ping times for games along with disconnections were always the achillies heal for NTL, sounds like they're on a roll now though :)

When was that? mines been great for well over a year now, and over a year before that it was good most the time except the random connection problems, so i left, tried adsl and ran back to cable 6 months later.

Maybe its better in some areas than others?

Soldato
Could be...

I've seen lots of posts on places like thinkbroadband over the years though which well and truely put me off.

Two of the friends I game with online regularly were on NTL and had huge disconnection/latency problems. They seemed to get worse during the evening to the point that they couldn't play online games in a group for more than 1/2hour without getting disconnected/have massive lag, this was in the Oxford / Reading area.

Time wise.... oh... I dunno... about 4 or so months ago... (ish) They both switched to ADSL and were fine after. /shrug

Soldato
of course you see loads of problem posts, people wouldnt make threads saying "my connections normal!" would they? ;)
I have been with Blueyonder/VM before they was even called blueyonder (used to be called 'Cable and Wireless').

the ONLY time i have been disconnected is services upgrades <1years and power cuts (although its fine now i have a UPS - surfing the net while the whole street is in darkness is pretty cool :D)

Soldato
Baddass said:
wow, how do you get that low?

Speak to retentions saying you are going to leave for sky BB (not CS must be end of line retentions) they sorted me out straight away and thats a price for life. I am unsure out of that 30 quid what is BB and what is phone mind.

Soldato
blighter said:
of course you see loads of problem posts, people wouldnt make threads saying "my connections normal!" would they? ;)
I have been with Blueyonder/VM before they was even called blueyonder (used to be called 'Cable and Wireless').

the ONLY time i have been disconnected is services upgrades <1years and power cuts (although its fine now i have a UPS - surfing the net while the whole street is in darkness is pretty cool :D)

exactly.
The only time I had problems was last years upgrade. I think...
Apart from that I can count the number of itmes ive been dissconected on 1 hand. And I have had the sercvice since xmas 2000.
I never get lag, they just need to sort the problems out in some areas of the country before makeing matters worse.

Soldato
blighter said:

Well that and the experience of two friends on a weekly basis....

I've already said I guess things have improved, or maybe it was a particular area, blimey...

Associate
I always get the full 10MB, probobally because most the chavs around here only got 2mb and use limewire and get slow speeds. Where as me, newsgroups 10mb constant should hopefully be the same for 20mb :D.

Soldato
I always get good speeds. I WAS with Blueyonder though. I think their backbone can cope with it - they just need to sort a few UBRs out. Usually if you complain on their newsgroups they'll fix it. Tbh I think most people will get the advertised speed - but again that's the benefit of fibre to the UBRs.

Associate
blighter said:

I was working on their support team during the changeover, they were called Cable Internet before though, Cable & Wireless was a telecoms company like Telewest (albeit a short lived one)

Before they started the Surfunlimited scheme our support desk was only 15 people per shift...started growing a bit after that :)

Soldato
lol got fed up with the speed so am on the phone to virgin 'technical' support.... apparently i should be on 10meg down and 5 meg up..... i'll keep you updated hehe

/edit loads of problems in my area for the past few days apparently. she told me i was lucky i still had a connection as some people lost it all together. hope they sort it soon!

Last edited:
Soldato
Camalot said:
Just a shame virgin cant seem to handle wow for an hr without d/c or 10k latency:(

Wow pings have always been excellent for me. Oh and we have had a nice Motorola SB4100 modem since launch - damn they are good quality. They look so much better than the new kit (quality wise).

Fraser they should upgrade your modem for free - or just threaten to leave and then see what they say.

Soldato
Robert said:
Wow pings have always been excellent for me. Oh and we have had a nice Motorola SB4100 modem since launch - damn they are good quality. They look so much better than the new kit (quality wise).

Fraser they should upgrade your modem for free - or just threaten to leave and then see what they say.

WOW was fine for me when i played it also. All games are nice and low latency wise, and I never get disconnected. Only time i did was when they upgraded me to 10mb but left me with the Terayon, which choked ;)

Anyone reporting issues should really check into whether their modem is capable of 10mb. It can be a fight to get the right kit out of them at times.

Associate
Rich said:
WOW was fine for me when i played it also. All games are nice and low latency wise, and I never get disconnected. Only time i did was when they upgraded me to 10mb but left me with the Terayon, which choked ;)

Anyone reporting issues should really check into whether their modem is capable of 10mb. It can be a fight to get the right kit out of them at times.
What did you tell them for them to upgrade the Terayon? I have one and have asked for an upgrade but they said the 10mb was an 'upto 10mb' service :(

Soldato
FC1983 said:
What did you tell them for them to upgrade the Terayon? I have one and have asked for an upgrade but they said the 10mb was an 'upto 10mb' service :(

To get my upgrade I told them I was only getting 4mb and I was paying for 10mb... id read on several forums that it was the modem that was holding back my connection speed, and that using the supplied hardware I was physically unable to recieve the service they were charging me for... so either replace the modem with a better one or cancel my subscription...

As I said above, they had a new modem out within 2 days. :)

Permabanned
mr_x_plosion said:
I want 20mb as im topping out my 10mb, imagine u want to download a film and watch it right away, now a full DVD takes me 1 hour download, dont see why it wont take half that time with double the speed. :D

wow, and hour, it takes me more like 5.

even if people could download faster than they could view / hear / play, they would never be happy.

Soldato
DreederOcUK said:
I was only getting 4mb and I was paying for 10mb
I am having this problem right now, it sometimes hits 7Mbit speeds (~900kB/s) if I am VERY lucky but usually doesn't break 600kB/s. They told me it was "noise on the line," so I will call them back tomorrow, and if they turn around and say it's my modem then I will kick off because nobody else seems to have problems in my area getting 10Mbit speeds on their Surfboard.

Back
Top Bottom