Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Associate
For nearly a year now many of us have had very unstsable 10 mb connection's and becuse of this we've gone back to the rock soild 4 mb connection.

Now that they have put a peak time limit of 750 mb though the 4 mb service is no longer an option for me, and i suspect many other's.

We woud go back to 10/20mb, but not only would we have to deal with unstable connnnection's, but we woud also have to deal with traffic shapping.

WM act like 20mb speeds will be rock solid at off peak hours and limited to 5 mb at peak hours if the download limit of 3 gb's is reached, and this simply is not true. It's still an "Up To" service and my experence has been that "Up To" with 10 mb can be as low as 512k at times!

I suspect that 20 mb will stil be just as, if not more unstable (Up To) than the 10 mb connection for some of us and that's wihtout the added traffic shapping! :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
Zap said:
As i understand it the restrictions will only happen if you download/upload 3gigs during peak hours ie between 4pm-12am. and even then it will only be for 4 hours so if you download 3 gigs at 4pm you will have full speed again at 8pm.

You sure about that?

EDIT

It's still an "up To" service, which is something it should no longer be if they are traffic shapping.

They could actually give you nothing more than an "Up To" connection of 5 MB for 23 hours a day, and just give you 20 MB for one hour and tell you that it's an "Up To" service so you should'nt complain! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Shin Gouki said:
For nearly a year now many of us have had very unstsable 10 mb connection's and becuse of this we've gone back to the rock soild 4 mb connection.

Now that they have put a peak time limit of 750 mb though the 4 mb service is no longer an option for me, and i suspect many other's.

We woud go back to 10/20mb, but not only would we have to deal with unstable connnnection's, but we woud also have to deal with traffic shapping.

WM act like 20mb speeds will be rock solid at off peak hours and limited to 5 mb at peak hours if the download limit of 3 gb's is reached, and this simply is not true. It's still an "Up To" service and my experence has been that "Up To" with 10 mb can be as low as 512k at times!

I suspect that 20 mb will stil be just as, if not more unstable (Up To) than the 10 mb connection for some of us and that's wihtout the added traffic shapping! :mad:

But that's exactly why they're introducing the traffic 'shaping' so that users get a better service in peak hours :confused:

Soldato
Camalot said:
When is this being introduced?

Im on 4mb, i tested it and downloaded over 1gb of demos. My speed remaind at 4mb.

I'm not a heavey downloader but i just tried it to test. :confused:

It probably wont come into effect until either everybody on XL has had the 20MB upgrade, or your particular area has been done.

Associate
Zap said:
But that's exactly why they're introducing the traffic 'shaping' so that users get a better service in peak hours :confused:

We'll see about that!

4 mb is rock solid but for a lot of users the 10 mb service has always been crap!

I don't see it changing when they upgrade the service!

The excellent 4 mb service is no longer an option for me if they are going to cap it during peak hours after only a pathetic 750mb of data has been downloaded/uploaded.

Looks like i'm going to have go with BT and Be Unlimited if i get a crap 20mb speed!

So anyway is VM BB still going to be "Up To"?

It's not exactly fair is it only giving you're customers "Up To" speeds and capping them if they dl/ul a certain amount of data too!

I know with 4 mb right now you get what you pay for at all times but that's never been the case with 10MB. There has never been an Up To with 4 mb. However with 10 mb Up To can be anything from 256k to 10 mb. It's far to irratic and i'm expecting the same with 20mb and of course we have added caps too. :rolleyes:

Associate
Robert said:
The 10mb service has never been crap at all. I, like many others download at max speed no matter WHAT time or day.

Yes, and there are many others who get irratic speeds on 10 mb, but get the same excellent experience you get but with the 4mb service. Which has now just been reduced to a pile of crap thanks to VM!

Soldato
Shin Gouki said:
Yes, and there are many others who get irratic speeds on 10 mb, but get the same excellent experience you get but with the 4mb service. Which has now just been reduced to a pile of crap thanks to VM!

And do you happen to know that a large chunk of that is down to:

Dodgey router
Dodgey NIC

?

Some guy complained on VM newsgroups for WEEKS he then changed NICs and it's "OMG I GET 10MB CONSTANTLY!!!"

Ul did the same on here (well I think)...he changed routers and voila.

Soldato
My 10mb and so far 20mb has always been rock solid also. The thing about Virgin and NTL/Blueyonder in the past is that the service varies from location to location, one part of the country may have an excellent service why another may be terrible.

Associate
Robert said:
And do you happen to know that a large chunk of that is down to:

Dodgey router
Dodgey NIC

?

Some guy complained on VM newsgroups for WEEKS he then changed NICs and it's "OMG I GET 10MB CONSTANTLY!!!"

Ul did the same on here (well I think)...he changed routers and voila.

It's not a problem at my end mate.

Soldato
Just called them and had my 20Mbit connection cut to 4Mbit. The guy on the phone even agreed with me it was utterly unfair that 20Mbit users get a 75% reduction in speed when 4Mbit and 2Mbit users only get a 50% reduction in speed.

He also offered me my whole phone and internet package for £32/month because he felt that only being able to use a 20Mbit connection for 10-20min was a pointless waste of time and a bit of a con.

I just found out I can get Sky "up to" 16Mbit broadband and free evening and wekeend calls for a grand total of £20/month, so I'll probably be switching soon as it's bound to be faster than 4Mbit even in my area and is unlimited.

Back
Top Bottom