Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Werewolf said:
you can still download nearly 50% more a day if you're carful - remember the limit is only in place for 8 hours a day and still lets you download at 5mb/s

A few calculations tell me that at
5mb/s you could theoretically get 54GB a day, or 2.3GB an hour
10mb/s you could theoretically get 108GB a day, or 4.5GB an hour
20mb/s you could theoretically get 216GB a day, or 9GB an hour

With this throttling you could theoretically get 162GB+ a day*, I make that about a 55% increase on the old 10mb speeds - so hardly "no improvement".

I personally don't know anyone who needs that much a day for normal usage, I personally would prefer bandwidth throttling with the extra speed "off peak" ensuring I get a decent connection for gaming etc in the evening than any of the alternatives (bandwidth caps, very poor connection due to the people that cannot hold off downloading the latest DVD's for a few hours/limit their speeds voluntarily).

*If you play it you could probably squeeze another 3-4gb out of it
Good post.

Associate
20 meg upgrade ha,i would be happy to get half the 10 meg im supposed to be on,even a quarter,

122152844.png
[/URL][/IMG]

thats what i have benn getting for the past week or so....

Associate
Werewolf said:
you can still download nearly 50% more a day if you're carful - remember the limit is only in place for 8 hours a day and still lets you download at 5mb/s

With this throttling you could theoretically get 162GB+ a day*, I make that about a 55% increase on the old 10mb speeds - so hardly "no improvement".

I personally don't know anyone who needs that much a day for normal usage, I personally would prefer bandwidth throttling with the extra speed "off peak" ensuring I get a decent connection for gaming etc in the evening than any of the alternatives (bandwidth caps, very poor connection due to the people that cannot hold off downloading the latest DVD's for a few hours/limit their speeds voluntarily).

Totally agree. Latency during 4-12 is better (games!) and speed when going to bed (downloads!)

Associate
okay just tried the dublin server,

122307096.png
[/URL][/IMG]

my cup runneth over...not bad for 10 meg..

I have tried different tests,downloading files from microsoft,i have just been getting really rubbish speeds for the past week.

Associate
DreXeL said:
Version 2.3 SP2 Micro, installed by following these instructions:

http://www.wrtrouters.com/guides/upgradetolinux/

Must admit I thought I had bricked it a couple of times during installation :o

Also had a problem in that it wouldn't pick up a WAN IP addy from Virgin after flashing it, then I realised DD-WRT gave the router a new MAC address. So I cloned the original MAC that was on the router and Robert's your Mother's Brother :cool:

For the record you could have just powered off your modem for 10 seconds and then powered it back on, would have picked it up

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
dbailey10 said:
For the record you could have just powered off your modem for 10 seconds and then powered it back on, would have picked it up

Yep, I know it's supposed to work like that. It didn't though, I did that several times an it just wouldn't pick up an IP address.

I think there may a problem in this area, a friend recently changed his Belkin for a Linksys, and he had the same problem, it wouldn't pick up an IP no matter how many times he rebooted the modem. He cloned the Belkin MAC into the Linksys and it was fine.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
DreXeL said:
Yep, I know it's supposed to work like that. It didn't though, I did that several times an it just wouldn't pick up an IP address.

I think there may a problem in this area, a friend recently changed his Belkin for a Linksys, and he had the same problem, it wouldn't pick up an IP no matter how many times he rebooted the modem. He cloned the Belkin MAC into the Linksys and it was fine.

DD-WRT changed your mac address? That is odd, DD-WRT didn't change my mac, it's a physical address. Strange!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Kol said:
DD-WRT changed your mac address? That is odd, DD-WRT didn't change my mac, it's a physical address. Strange!

Yeah, it gave it a strange MAC, something like 00-00-00-00-04 :/

Perhaps just a quirk of the stripped back DD-WRT Micro?

Soldato
ScoobyDoo said:
You should only be seeing 4-5meg at 4pm if youve download over 3gb between 4-midnight that day. So at 4pm you should still be receving 10/20mb, its only when you download over 3gb between those times that you connection speed drops to 5mb for 4hrs.
Thats what I thought, but since 1 May, regardless of 3gb download or not my speeds after 4pm have been dismal. Yesterday I was only seeing 2meg.

Robert said:
If you're still on 10meg then it hasn't started. Fergal Butler (one of VM's managers) has said it'll only be implemented when the 20meg is done in your area.
Tell ***ing Butler to Butler off. Am I & many other VM broadband users lieing?

Soldato
Werewolf said:

Agreed, the most sensible post I've seen on this subject by a country mile......

Last edited:
Soldato
Van Diemen said:
Thats what I thought, but since 1 May, regardless of 3gb download or not my speeds after 4pm have been dismal. Yesterday I was only seeing 2meg.

Tell ***ing Butler to Butler off. Am I & many other VM broadband users lieing?

Hey, I'm just saying. Seeing he's one of the people who is overseeing/working with the stuff then I'd be inclined to believe him. Maybe there's something wrong with your connection?

Soldato
schnipps said:
How can they warrant the 2quid increase in price then as the service isnt really getting any better, i hate the way they make out as if hardly anyone on the XL package downloads lots, banding 5% figures about. Why the hell would anyone be on 20meg for emails and web browsing? Its utter shash.

Spot on.

Associate
Anyone knows how you can find out which area is your hub. My area is not listed in the schedule! I guess they only list the areas serving as hubs, but how I can find out. The closest listed to hammersmith is brent (hammersmith shares boundary with brent), so I guess I go with the Brent upgrade?

Last edited:
Permabanned
DreXeL said:
Yeah, it gave it a strange MAC, something like 00-00-00-00-04 :/

Perhaps just a quirk of the stripped back DD-WRT Micro?

If you signed up to VM/NTL through a router connected to an STB then your account would have been registered to your old routers MAC therefore any new router will require your old router MAC to be cloned on to it.

Back
Top Bottom