Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Associate
10MB with a Netgear WGR614v6 I get the same on usenet aswell :).

speedtest.JPG

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
It doesn't replace the modem I'm afraid, only the switch/router.

The stock modem is quite good though if you get the Motorola Surfboard model.

It does WPA and WPA2 as standard. :)
Ta :)

Associate
I have a Linksys WRT54GS and i always get problems with torrents, after a while they slow down and nearly die, and the status colour is yellow not green. Any1 else have this problem with their Linksys router? Ive tried forwarding ports, it only works for a few days then goes back to old.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
The_Judge said:
I have a Linksys WRT54GS and i always get problems with torrents, after a while they slow down and nearly die, and the status colour is yellow not green. Any1 else have this problem with their Linksys router? Ive tried forwarding ports, it only works for a few days then goes back to old.

Have you forwarded the ports in the routers interface?

Soldato
The_Judge said:

I had the same issue with the v4 version of that router on VM, though I wasn't sure if it is an issue with my old cable modem (Surfboard 3100) or traffic shaping. I don't think it's the cable modem I have as it seems to work fine under 10 Mb conditions and I usually get ~900k on sites like FilePlanet.

Soldato
Its usually due to the translation tables filling up due to large amounts of incoming connections. Used to get it in Emule all the time with home routers. I even had to add a little extra config to my Cisco routers to get them to play nice.
Tried the custom Firmwares like DD-WRT?

Permabanned
vm doesnt look promising, i want to change to their 8mb non cable and what do i get on speedcheck

Error 500: Server Error

We're currently experiencing problems with this service. Please try again later.

LOL

Soldato
Rich said:
Its usually due to the translation tables filling up due to large amounts of incoming connections. Used to get it in Emule all the time with home routers. I even had to add a little extra config to my Cisco routers to get them to play nice.
Tried the custom Firmwares like DD-WRT?

Not yet though I plan to at some point. :)

Soldato
The_Judge said:

I have the same router version 4 though..

Mine are fine, using Utorrent and I have the latest firmware version on it, and have opened port 19569 and all is well, the DD-WRT firmware is great for tweaks but it stopped my VPN working on my laptop and also gave me issues on the wireless side so I went back to the normal verion and all is well again!

What upload speed are you allowing?

Soldato
Is there any reason I shouldn't use the binaries on blueyonder's own news server ?

Yes I know retention is only like 2 days ... but for free .. .its not bad.

or is there another reason I shouldn't use it ?

thanks, Mark.

Soldato
Buckster said:
Is there any reason I shouldn't use the binaries on blueyonder's own news server ?

thanks, Mark.

I used to find I had quite a lot of incomplete files, often to the point where it couldn't be repaired even with all the PAR files. Not sure if that still stands at all.

Soldato
Buckster said:

thanks, Mark.

They are terrible, hardly any groups, retentions is lucky if its 2 days and massively incomplete files.

Im with newshosting however the speeds on a weekend are dire, like now im getting around 150-300k/sec, its terrible. Any one here with anyone else thats better and never drops under their max speed? I may consider moving to a different news group provider.

Associate
Can't wait for the 20mb. The higher upload is needed and still slower then I would have liked though.

I can currently get max speeds from my laptop, which is cool, but not sure if it will be the same when 20mb rolls on..

Soldato
schnipps said:
They are terrible, hardly any groups, retentions is lucky if its 2 days and massively incomplete files.

Im with newshosting however the speeds on a weekend are dire, like now im getting around 150-300k/sec, its terrible. Any one here with anyone else thats better and never drops under their max speed? I may consider moving to a different news group provider.

My mate just signed upto Newshosting because he was told it was better than PowerUsenet. But since switching he's been getting horrible speeds. PowerUsenet always maxing out my 10MB connection and it's the same price as Newshosting, so I'd recommend them.

Soldato
Slyvester said:
My mate just signed upto Newshosting because he was told it was better than PowerUsenet. But since switching he's been getting horrible speeds. PowerUsenet always maxing out my 10MB connection and it's the same price as Newshosting, so I'd recommend them.
That would be me, and yes speeds are awful at least where I live.

Back
Top Bottom