Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
Robert said:
Go die inside on their newsgroups then. They usually fix these problems or have issues raised with the networks team to be solved.
What's with the attitude? Did I say something off-topic or offensive? I don't think I did, so kindly do one.

As for what you actually said, I already tried phoning them a bunch of times and every time they come out with the same old rubbish about "noise on the line" and "it'll be fixed soon." Soon was supposedly 12th March.

Associate
ATI's website always gives me full speed on my 10mb, give it a try just tested mine and its full speed,

untitledsm3.jpg

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonx-xp.html

if you cant pull full speeds off that link then you definately got some line issues.

Soldato
Dutch777 said:
ATI's website always gives me full speed on my 10mb, give it a try just tested mine and its full speed,

if you cant pull full speeds off that link then you definately got some line issues.
Thanks for the suggestion, I just gave it a try.

untitled1wg4.png

That's like 5Mbit speeds. :(

Associate
Ulfhedjinn said:
Thanks for the suggestion, I just gave it a try.

untitled1wg4.png

That's like 5Mbit speeds. :(

Deffo something up with your line, its not to much trouble for them to replace the cable and I would be asking for a discount as well especially as someone across the road is getting full speeds.

Soldato
Dutch777 said:
Deffo something up with your line, its not to much trouble for them to replace the cable and I would be asking for a discount as well especially as someone across the road is getting full speeds.
I'm already getting a discount so I can't really complain about price, but the speeds are awful and like most people in my area say it's capped to 50% of that after 15min or so for about two hours.

Just frustrating that I am still getting ~4Mbit speeds TBH. :(

I will call them again now.

Associate
Athanor said:
I get the feeling Broadband is going the same way as digital cameras. The digi camera companies know that the vast majority of consumers now only take into account how many megapixels a camera has and immediatly equate more = better (i.e. 8mp is much better than 6mp). Of course all other things being equal that's true, except all other things aren't equal.

Broadband has gon the same way. 20mb must be twice as good as 10m. If the cable companies backbones and websites etc had unlimited bandwidth to cope, and low latency connections that might be true. But they don't.

To be honest, I'd much rather have a 2mb low latency, low contention reliable connection than 20mb high latency connection that suffers from disconnects.

I have to ask, what on earth does anyone use 20mb for other than the odd download of a demo?

You don't think virgin MEDIA might be used for on demand streaming TV and media?

Your 2 meg line isn't gonna cope, and if you are having sync issue on a faster line then get it syncd lower. ADSL2+ is more resiliant and allows grater speeds on poor lines then standard ADSL so it will be better if configured correctly.

Even if you have to sync at a slightly lower then normal rate for ADSL2+ this will still be faster then ADSL.
One of the lines I moved over to bethere went from 3Mb on Bulldog LLU ADSL with a low signal to noise ratio to over 13Mb with a much better noise ratio and no drops.

ADSL2+ also does not effect latency so no idea where you have this idea that high speed = high latency that is simply not true. If anything my ping times have continued to drop over the years.

[edit I know your talking about cable but....]

Gav

Gav

Associate
I have had telewest/blueyonder/virgin media since day one and always found it to be very reliable.

Bring on 20meg..... :) :)

If your using usenet then have a look at giganews. I get a very solid speed of around 1.1Mbps from the european servers. Retention is fatastic as well..

Soldato
Gav said:
I have had telewest/blueyonder/virgin media since day one and always found it to be very reliable.

Bring on 20meg..... :) :)

If your using usenet then have a look at giganews. I get a very solid speed of around 1.1Mbps from the european servers. Retention is fatastic as well..

Same here...I've always had top service.

mwah.jpg

That was taken a few minutes ago.

Ulfhedjinn said:
What's with the attitude? Did I say something off-topic or offensive? I don't think I did, so kindly do one.

As for what you actually said, I already tried phoning them a bunch of times and every time they come out with the same old rubbish about "noise on the line" and "it'll be fixed soon." Soon was supposedly 12th March.

Lmao...oh sorry I'll just run off now big macho man! Oh dear you've scared me. Get your head from up your arse. What's with the april crap? The letters are saying May - unless you can post a picture of the letter, I refuse to believe you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Robert said:
What's with the april crap? The letters are saying May - unless you can post a picture of the letter, I refuse to believe you.
I haven't even had a letter, but the guy I was on the phone to at Virgin said 1st April. :)

He could've easily been mistaken though.

Robert said:
Lmao...oh sorry I'll just run off now big macho man! Oh dear you've scared me. Get your head from up your arse.
I find this highly ironic considering I was responding to your attitude in the first place. :rolleyes:

Fresh one for the ignore list. :D

Associate
Ulfhedjinn said:
I haven't even had a letter, but the guy I was on the phone to at Virgin said 1st April. :)

He could've easily been mistaken though.

I find this highly ironic considering I was responding to your attitude in the first place. :rolleyes:

Fresh one for the ignore list. :D

Actually although the letter said May, I have been told twice by two different reps that they are starting in Aprils, to make the roll out reasonalby up to speed so that come May most people will see 20 meg.... I dunno if customer operations are just being told this in an effort to keep custom by dangling a carrot.

Regards

Vic

Associate
Maybe a bit off topic here guys, but I was a ntl customer with the 3 for 30 offer(Tv, BB, Tel), broadband was 2 mb, I would like upgrade to 4mb, the extra in price was only 7 quid, but now with the change to virgen media, I aint sure how much its going to be now, could anyone help ?

Back
Top Bottom