Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I've recently renewed my account for another 18month (M500/tv/phone @ £45, down from £54, so happy with that), I didnt go for 1gig because a) I dont really need it, b) I've heard its not quite ready, c)Hub4 isnt fast enough for it, and Hub5 is unstable and lots of people are having issues.. So I'll wait..

My question is, if I take out an o2 sim in the near future, am I right in that this will bump me up to 1gig automatically (and free?) as well as give me double data for said O2 Sim?

Associate
Hub 4 is totally fast enough for it and its totally ready. :confused:

I thought the Hub4 came with a 1000Mbps interface (and Hub5 with 2.5Gb interface), while VM delivers up to 1,130Mbps as part of the service? .. That suggests VM delivers 10% more than the Hub4 can deliver? (or have I got my numbers wrong?)

Last edited:
Soldato
Useless company, upgraded to 1 gig, negotiated free activation, they charged me activation, complained supposedly given credit, but no credit was given so charged full amount last month, complained again via web complaints this is the response..

Ring today, get past first person that agreed passes me on to retentions, that instead of saying what was happening wanted me to explain everything again, then hung up on me.
Always have issues with Virgin and this rubbish.

As long as I dont have to call them I am happy with the service.

going to give them a call and see what they can do on the price as like others got their letter stating from the 1/3/22 its going up again!

Permabanned
I thought the Hub4 came with a 1000Mbps interface (and Hub5 with 2.5Gb interface), while VM delivers up to 1,130Mbps as part of the service? .. That suggests VM delivers 10% more than the Hub4 can deliver? (or have I got my numbers wrong?)

Granted thats true but it pretty much gets 1gb speed on downloads so its near enough. :) After my initial VM incompetence teething troubles its been great.

Also unless you have the requisite network hardware you wont be going over 1gb anyway, regardless of what the Hub can handle. :p I only have 1gb network adapters for instance.

Associate
If you are using there hub you can of course use the extra over the extra ports and WiFi, it's only when you're using in modem mode without a device to balance WAN over 2 ports that you ae restricted to 1Gb.

Last edited:
Associate
Granted thats true but it pretty much gets 1gb speed on downloads so its near enough. :) After my initial VM incompetence teething troubles its been great.

Also unless you have the requisite network hardware you wont be going over 1gb anyway, regardless of what the Hub can handle. :p I only have 1gb network adapters for instance.

No, All valid points.. My question is though, will I be bumped up to 1gig if I take out a SIM? (regardless of getting Hub4 or Hub5 :) )

Soldato
Just had the email to confirm the Hub 5 will be here in early Feb, however I don't really need it, but they just organised it when I negotiated another 18 month deal with them.. It'll be straight in Modem mode, but maybe it'll not need rebooting every 2-3 weeks like the current SH3 seemingly needs..

Soldato
Just had the email to confirm the Hub 5 will be here in early Feb, however I don't really need it, but they just organised it when I negotiated another 18 month deal with them.. It'll be straight in Modem mode, but maybe it'll not need rebooting every 2-3 weeks like the current SH3 seemingly needs..

had issue activating it , I got text to simply reply GO when I connected it received text back will be activated within 20mins I waited over 1 hour nothing , reading on the virgin forum seems common you have to call and give them mac address etc to get them to activate

As I use modem mode on superhub 2 anyway I just replugged that back in and it worked couldnt be bothered to call after few days the internet stopped working so I plugged the Hub5 and it worked and after few days I got text router has been activated

The activation process seems to be broken or I just got lucky .. Ive had the hub5 connected for around 1 week now modem mode and havent noticed any issues saying that I didnt have any issues with the super hub2 either in modem mode for years :)

Associate
Gave Virgin a ring on 0800 952 2277 and got straight through to a UK call centre.
I renewed for another 18 months of M500 @ £40 per month.

I got the Hub5 the other day and the Wifi6 actually seems pretty decent all around most of the house which is a huge improvement over the last one I had (hub3).
Not sure if I'll put it into modem mode.

Soldato
I have had the SH5 in since the 11th of Jan and had no need to reboot it.

Keep in mind you will have 1 week to swap over your router from point of it being delivered otherwise VM will block access from your old router and force you to connect the SH5 up but it was simple enough to swap and worked with no calls to VM etc.

I had the SH3 before this and never had to reboot it at all, was on for months and was only ever off when we had a power cut lol.

Soldato
I have had the SH5 in since the 11th of Jan and had no need to reboot it.

Keep in mind you will have 1 week to swap over your router from point of it being delivered otherwise VM will block access from your old router and force you to connect the SH5 up but it was simple enough to swap and worked with no calls to VM etc.

I had the SH3 before this and never had to reboot it at all, was on for months and was only ever off when we had a power cut lol.

I do put a lot of data through the SH3, probably every 5TB's of data and suddenly it tends to double the latency (up to around 30-40ms average to bbc.co.uk for example) and you get small pauses when browsing, post reboot it's back down to 14-18ms and snappy again...

Mind you, I upgraded my whole network (entry level TPLink OMADA stuff) and to be honest, everything's been behaving itself for the past 2 weeks, I've not rebooted the SH3 since and just checking it's still OK which it is, so perhaps my old router (which was doing a lot!) might have not played well with it.

Soldato
My hub 4 when I reboot it my hub name and password go back to default its driving me crazy as my daughters tivo works but the now tv and firestick don't, so I reboot again the tivo don't work but the other two do, plus the WiFi is terrible in the house so I'm thinking faulty hub?.
Going to call up tomorrow as my contract is up and see what I can get.

Soldato
I do put a lot of data through the SH3, probably every 5TB's of data and suddenly it tends to double the latency (up to around 30-40ms average to bbc.co.uk for example) and you get small pauses when browsing, post reboot it's back down to 14-18ms and snappy again...

Mind you, I upgraded my whole network (entry level TPLink OMADA stuff) and to be honest, everything's been behaving itself for the past 2 weeks, I've not rebooted the SH3 since and just checking it's still OK which it is, so perhaps my old router (which was doing a lot!) might have not played well with it.
My SH5 has an easy life, it just sits there providing internet as I hardly transfer data over the network.

If you have anything that supports it the SH5 has 1 x 2.5gb on the back (bottom yellow port, marked with the speed in red next to it)

Associate
Just saw that I'm out of contact with the oompf bundle in 3 weeks. Has any existing customers had any luck at upgrading to volt at the rate for new customers? I get I'll have to go through the cancellation sing and dance, but just looking at what limitations I'll be looking at.

zia

zia

Associate
So i.ve moved from asus ac88u to dell sff installed open wrt,and have been running it for few week but not seeing a huge benefit.

SH4

51658107796_eb965de60b_b.jpg

Zia

Back
Top Bottom