Virgin Media Discussion Thread

I’d also say, if any of you are unlucky enough to have only VM as an option, when I phoned the other day and went through the ‘leaving’ option, there was an automated message whereby they offered 3-4 quid off a month for the remainder of your contract.
I declined and went on with cancelling, but may be worth a quick call just to have that offered to you who have to stay and it’ll be done in a min or two.
Doesn’t appear to involve actually speaking with anyone, so a quick win?

Amazing that they do that by the way, just shows how overpriced they are.

Last edited:
Would you recommend getting the 1GB business package rather than the home package? Usually tech support is better on business. Virgin has a 12 working hours issue resolution time on business, which is important as I work from home.

If you need uptime then get a backup connection. Virgin Media's business cable modem service is just as susceptible to faults as their residential one (because it's the same network), and you don't get the compensation for loss of service with the Business products that residential customers would receive. It's also very difficult to have your address flipped back to a residential one if VM tag it as a business.

The tech support is equally bad regardless. The 12 hour resolution time is a target, not a guarantee. If they miss their own target they pro-rata refund you, which if you're paying £60 a month will be £2 a day. It's barely worth having.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
If you need uptime then get a backup connection. Virgin Media's business cable modem service is just as susceptible to faults as their residential one (because it's the same network), and you don't get the compensation for loss of service with the Business products that residential customers would receive. It's also very difficult to have your address flipped back to a residential one if VM tag it as a business.

The tech support is equally bad regardless. The 12 hour resolution time is a target, not a guarantee. If they miss their own target they pro-rata refund you, which if you're paying £60 a month will be £2 a day. It's barely worth having.

Have I been lucky. I've had BT for 23 years and never had to call them. The only thing is I need a faster connection as mine is currently 20mpbs. Having a whole family of 5 stream 4k to 5 different devices is impossible.

Have I been lucky. I've had BT for 23 years and never had to call them. The only thing is I need a faster connection as mine is currently 20mpbs. Having a whole family of 5 stream 4k to 5 different devices is impossible.

By all means move your primary service to Virgin Media if you need the speed, but if you are dependent on the connection to work then you have to have a backup, you can't rely on promises of reliability from the provider. This could be as low cost as knowing your phone gets a good enough service to tether to, but you need something.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
By all means move your primary service to Virgin Media if you need the speed, but if you are dependent on the connection to work then you have to have a backup, you can't rely on promises of reliability from the provider. This could be as low cost as knowing your phone gets a good enough service to tether to, but you need something.

What's peoples experience with Virgin? Does their connection die once a week? How is their customer support if needed?

What's peoples experience with Virgin? Does their connection die once a week? How is their customer support if needed?

Depends on luck of area I guess
Been with them for years it's rock solid although the supplied router used to crap itself every few days just couldn't handle multiple WiFi devices switched it to modem only bought own router and not had anymore issues, maybe the new hub 5 is better ? I had the older one

Customer service only ever contacted them when end of contract and threatening to leave to get better deal offered

Looking forward till area gets fttp so have other options with fast speeds and find better deals

Last edited:
Had Virgin (NTL, Cable & Wireless) for years (forced to as only adsl alternatives) and been rock solid, get a few hours downtime per year on average, but all within SLA.

Il be leaving as soon as FTTP arrives in our street as VM upload is poor compared to others.

Last edited:
so far so good.
The areas just been enabled, got the 1 gig offering broadband only and so far been solid.

The only worry is the price, about 2 days before the installation they put it on offer so phoned them up, and told me to call again when it was installed.
called back on the number they gave me and had no option to talk to someone. I managed to find a way for them to start texting me on WhatsApp, agreed to the new price... however the direct debit that's due soon is still showing the old price, so we'll see what happens.

so the experience so far is, all good when it's working but contacting them to sort simple things can be a nightmare.

Out of interest does anyone have just Gigabit internet with no phone or tv? If so what do you pay?

Ive got to call them to cancel but wonder if ive got a cat in hells chance of them coming anywhere near the £29.99 LILA are offering

Out of interest does anyone have just Gigabit internet with no phone or tv? If so what do you pay?

Ive got to call them to cancel but wonder if ive got a cat in hells chance of them coming anywhere near the £29.99 LILA are offering
I'm £62/month at the moment for the 1Gig and no phone or TV. Can't wait to get the price increase email and get on FTTP.

Is there any way to find out their rollout schedule?

A few years ago they cabled half of my street and left this half uncabled. I keep using the service checker, putting my interest down and even calling but no one will tell me anything.

Is there any way to find out their rollout schedule?

A few years ago they cabled half of my street and left this half uncabled. I keep using the service checker, putting my interest down and even calling but no one will tell me anything.

You have checked on here?

Back
Top Bottom