Virgin Media Discussion Thread

hmm maybe, also I can send screenshots of other offers over messaging might help ? over the years I always called when contract was up and price went up to get better deal just cant stand having to go through that

tbf I already had decent deal when comparing what they offer new customers and what others are offering in my area and was just happy to get the £6 increase taken off

really hope when current deal ends in 14 months I have FTTP in the area so have other options for fast speeds currently only virgin offer the fastest speeds everyone else is 60-70mb so cant really do much
Yeah, I hate having to phone and haggle, but this time we will be going the cancelling route unless they offer a good deal.

So it looks like people have had relative success in calling up to get a discount or at least the increase removed so that's good.

I'm just in a tricky position where Toob have installed all their cables in my area but aren't accepting orders just yet. Areas either side of me have just started taking orders, but I only have until next week to contact Virgin and cancel my service. Don't know whether to just stick with Virgin and be done with it or to cancel it and hope Toob start taking orders very soon then rely on 4G/5G for hopefully a brief while. Annoying, but I really would love to have that 900 meg upload and pay less as well.

Virgin price hike is great news as far as I'm concerned feel for anyone stuck with them though, it now means I can get out my contract with them
On a side note I'm sure if you cancel your contract they will be quite happy to lose the price hike and you might even get a bit more discount.

Yeah I really do want the faster upload that other providers offer - Toob's 900Mbit up would be amazing but even Openreach supplied 110Mbit up is a big increase over what I get with Virgin. That said, my Virgin service has been flawless here for the last couple of years so arguably, if they can beat the price I was paying up until January (which saw a £9 increase when I re-contracted, even before getting slapped with another £15 on top from April) then I might just stay with it for simplicity. I'll be giving them a call over the weekend - can't really lose either way I suppose :)

Yeah I really do want the faster upload that other providers offer - Toob's 900Mbit up would be amazing but even Openreach supplied 110Mbit up is a big increase over what I get with Virgin. That said, my Virgin service has been flawless here for the last couple of years so arguably, if they can beat the price I was paying up until January (which saw a £9 increase when I re-contracted, even before getting slapped with another £15 on top from April) then I might just stay with it for simplicity. I'll be giving them a call over the weekend - can't really lose either way I suppose :)
Why would you want to stay with VM if you can get Toob and Openreach?

Pretty much because of TV as well. I personally don't care much for the TV, but the kids do. Worst case I could just go with Sky Stream and that combined with Toob comes in at £51 a month - substantially cheaper than the £75 I'm paying now. Even if I don't wait for Toob and I go for another provider it'll still be a few quid cheaper. Will be giving them a call, only way I'll stay is if they can come in at under £65 a month. I'm with o2 so I have Volt - paying for 500Mbit but because of Volt I have Gig1 and TV with kids pack I can't see them dropping my bill that much from the £90 it'll be from April.

I currently pay £54.50 for 1GB and talk more anytime, my contract is up in June and I've just received a letter telling me it's going up £7 in April. We don't use the phone anymore so that can go. I have waited years for faster upload speeds and been waiting to see what VM are going to offer but it's probably time I left we can get 900/110 for £45 at the moment and cityfibre is planned this year so looks like a change is on for me.

For whatever reason, one of them loves having Nicktoons, Nickelodeon etc. I could just convince them to deal with it, because arguably £26 a month for Sky Stream for a handful of channels is really not worth it.

I pay £38 for M250 broadband. It was going up to something silly. Told them I was leaving, turned down all the offers they gave me. The retention's team called me back and I got M500 for £32 18 months.

How does it work, you phone up 150, do you go straight to retentions, is there a separate cancellation department as well?

Going to try this week.

I pay £38 for M250 broadband. It was going up to something silly. Told them I was leaving, turned down all the offers they gave me. The retention's team called me back and I got M500 for £32 18 months.

This is how they get you though, you go straight into another contract.

I know it's cheaper than what they wanted you to pay but it stops you leaving.

Until next time.

Reactions: R3X
How does it work, you phone up 150, do you go straight to retentions, is there a separate cancellation department as well?

Going to try this week.

So I phoned up their contact number on website. Told them I'm leaving. They offered me about 6 deals I said no to everything. Then they said equipment would have to be collected and I said that's fine, then they said I could keep it lol. Planned cancellation emails came.

Few days later they rang. I said my friends can get m1000 for 45. I said I wanted m500 for around 30-40 and they came back first offer with 32 for m500. I also made sure I was exempt from price increases this year, which I am.

Seems like I got an amazing deal. The second team definitely have the best offers.

This is how they get you though, you go straight into another contract.

I know it's cheaper than what they wanted you to pay but it stops you leaving.

Until next time.

That's fine by me. Double speed and 5 pound cheaper a month. Don't really need it on a month by month basis. Plus in my area all the competitors are m65 or less.

Last edited:
I received another reminder email that my contract has ended but still no news of a price increase. Netomnia were busy on the street again yesterday, hopefully won't be long until I can move over to YouFibre.

Back
Top Bottom