Virgin Media Discussion Thread

I got the price increase email this week, £33 to £42pm for M250, 27% increase.

I have FTTP in my area now, so went for 500mb with vodafone for £30pm 24 month contract with a £130 rebate voucher thingy. However, I went to cancel with VM, when I called the automated system said it would be easier to sort by text, so I thought fine, give it a go. No contact whatsoever, the next day they send an update to my contract (again no agreement from me) at £28.50pm for the same M250 for the remainder of contract, another 6 months. I couldn't be arsed contacting them again as it's always a nightmare so cancelled with vodafone under 14 days cooling off.

Faff again in another 6 months.

I got the price increase email this week, £33 to £42pm for M250, 27% increase.

I have FTTP in my area now, so went for 500mb with vodafone for £30pm 24 month contract with a £130 rebate voucher thingy. However, I went to cancel with VM, when I called the automated system said it would be easier to sort by text, so I thought fine, give it a go. No contact whatsoever, the next day they send an update to my contract (again no agreement from me) at £28.50pm for the same M250 for the remainder of contract, another 6 months. I couldn't be arsed contacting them again as it's always a nightmare so cancelled with vodafone under 14 days cooling off.

Faff again in another 6 months.
That's what they bank on. You not wanting to deal with them.

Reactions: R3X
So I phoned up their contact number on website. Told them I'm leaving. They offered me about 6 deals I said no to everything. Then they said equipment would have to be collected and I said that's fine, then they said I could keep it lol. Planned cancellation emails came.

Few days later they rang. I said my friends can get m1000 for 45. I said I wanted m500 for around 30-40 and they came back first offer with 32 for m500. I also made sure I was exempt from price increases this year, which I am.

Seems like I got an amazing deal. The second team definitely have the best offers.

Would not say amazing as a member here got 1gb line for £28. But I can see how it can seem that way compared to the silly prices they ask for.

For sure more you say no the better the deals get.

Well I asked the question twice clearly to make sure. It makes sense they aren't hitting new contracts this close to it coming into effect I guess.

You would think. But I agreed to a new contract on January 23rd and got the email about a £15 price hike only just over a week later on February 1st.

Got my letter today, £7 increase on broadband (200mbit volted to 350 with £6 O2 sim). No FTTP providers here yet (even though being in a decent VM area it would be nice to have slightly lower pings for games and a bit more upload for work), one is in the town last Autumn-ish but still only seems available on a handful of roads... odd. So going to phone and "cancel" next week and try to keep to 12 month deal.

Last edited:
I have had the same email. I am on 250 and paying £35 and its increasing by £7. I have FTTP in my area according to Vodaphone so will be calling them to see if they can match/better otherwise i am happy to cancel.

Had my letter through saying that my £32 deal for 200mbps and an O2 sim is going up £7.
I find O2 to have patchy signal. Virgin broadband I think is excellent.

I am wondering whether I should go for Vodafone 500mbps for £30 then get a sim only deal separately. According to Uswitch I get a £130 shopping voucher for joining Vodafone too.

I wondered if anyone had any comments on the reliability of Vodafone? If they are not up to scratch I'll stay with Virgin.

Last edited:
No price increase here (stockport) but Virgin are losing customers daily to a new FTTP provider who has laid out fibre to most areas now and is super cheap compared to Virgin and offers 1000/1000 rolling contracts. I’ve signed as Virgin can’t compete with that anytime soon, so it’s good they’ve finally had some competition.

It might force them to improve the offering.

My 1Gb connection (originally 500Mb + O2 sim, sim got cancelled as the network is awful) with phone line contract is due on the 13th April, currently paying £46.25. They are looking to put it up to £69 then £7 a month (got the email this week) on top of that meaning £76 a month. Openreach have installed FTTP at the top of poles at opposite ends of my street but they don't look to be live yet. Contemplating putting a 4G router + smarty unlimited sim in the loft for the time being until the FTTP arrives. Can't face re-contracting with Virgin for another 18 months and 30 day contracts seem to be AWOL from their site.

Last edited:
The TV service uses their Internet connection for loads of the features, so you can't have TV by itself.
Specifically virgin broadband or can you just have any broadband for the on demand stuff to work? The virgin set top boxes connect back to the internet via WiFi or ethernet yes, but mine are just plugged into my own wireless router. Do you have to be on a virgin public IP to get access to the right places for it to work?

I believe it has to be a VM connection, it’s academic anyway because you can’t subscribe to TV without also taking internet, so unless you want to pay twice you’re stuck with them if you want their TV.

Reactions: R3X
Had my letter through saying that my £32 deal for 200mbps and an O2 sim is going up £7.
I find O2 to have patchy signal. Virgin broadband I think is excellent.

I am wondering whether I should go for Vodafone 500mbps for £30 then get a sim only deal separately. According to Uswitch I get a £130 shopping voucher for joining Vodafone too.

I wondered if anyone had any comments on the reliability of Vodafone? If they are not up to scratch I'll stay with Virgin.

I've done the same. Virgin couldn't match what Voda were offering. Got it being installed in 3 weeks. Very excited.

Back
Top Bottom