Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Question please.

If I’m out of contract already and then receive the price rise and let it take effect does that stick me in a new contract?

I’m thinking of holding with VM for the time being as community fibre will be in my area soon I believe, which I will likely join.

Don’t want to phone them now and get locked into 18months.

Last edited:
Unless you speak to them to renew the contract you won't be in a new one. It's rolling until you either negotiate a price or move.

Great, I will phone community fibre tomorrow see if I can get rough estimate on area rollout. According to their rollout map most of London has it and my area is in orange, which I gather they are actively in the area now rolling it out.

Great, I will phone community fibre tomorrow see if I can get rough estimate on area rollout. According to their rollout map most of London has it and my area is in orange, which I gather they are actively in the area now rolling it out.

Mines not until phase 2 with city fibre, dates are unknown but I hope It's within another 14 months cos I'm in contract with VM until then. I'm in a new VM build area so it's pretty stable ATM.

Mines not until phase 2 with city fibre, dates are unknown but I hope It's within another 14 months cos I'm in contract with VM until then. I'm in a new VM build area so it's pretty stable ATM.

Yeah my VM has been rock solid to be honest, its just the price, mine is ridiculous, because I haven't kept on top of the negotiating yearly.

But even if they offered a much cheaper price I will be tempted to move just for the full fibre connection with community fibre.

I just need a better idea of the rollout with community fibre in my area, it does look like it has potential to be here this year.

I have Eero mesh currently, I would need to remove that I think, wonder how good the Velop routers are community fibre use, luckily they offer multiple of these for a mesh system plan.

Last edited:
On the phone to Virgin now regarding my £7 price increase.
The automated voice offered me £3 discount before I even spoke to anyone. Cheeky sods.
I spoke to a pleasant bloke and said 'The price increase, not happening'. He offered to lower it to £1.40 increase. I said no thanks, please ask your manager.
Price kept at £32 for my 200mbps internet (I believe it is now 250 based on the price increase letter) and an O2 sim.

Last edited:
I'm out of contract now and VM want £66 now for M350 and that's before the increase(!) - been trying to see what they will do and their customer service has just been awful. 15 hours to get hold of someone on chat, they kept sending links to the password authentication service that just wouldn't work, I had to answer questions about "what's your name, are you the account holder, what service are you interested in" etc about 5 times and they just stopped responding eabout an hour before the end of their call centre hours. Yesterday they offered me M500 for £40 or 1gig for £46 and were looking into other options which they never sent. This morning they got in touch and their offers are now M125 for £51 or M350 for £57. Just, lol. Bye bye VM, think I'll be signing up for 500meg with Vodafone on Cityfibre for £26 and using the Topcashback offer too.

I'm out of contract now and VM want £66 now for M350 and that's before the increase(!) - been trying to see what they will do and their customer service has just been awful. 15 hours to get hold of someone on chat, they kept sending links to the password authentication service that just wouldn't work, I had to answer questions about "what's your name, are you the account holder, what service are you interested in" etc about 5 times and they just stopped responding eabout an hour before the end of their call centre hours. Yesterday they offered me M500 for £40 or 1gig for £46 and were looking into other options which they never sent. This morning they got in touch and their offers are now M125 for £51 or M350 for £57. Just, lol. Bye bye VM, think I'll be signing up for 500meg with Vodafone on Cityfibre for £26 and using the Topcashback offer too.
If you have cityfibre available, leave VM. It's better in every way.

If you have cityfibre available, leave VM. It's better in every way.
Fortunately for me, Cityfibre has been available on my street for over a year, I've got 12 ISPs to choose from :) Probably going to go with Vodafone as they seem the cheapest and I might move my sons mobile to them to get him more data and reduce the fibre cost even more. Giganet and Zen are available too and I always thought they were both good but I've seen conflicting stories about both lately. Whatever I pick, VM are nowhere near able to price match. Faster speeds, synchronous upload speed, significantly cheaper, what's not to like :)

@ CF93

If you get Vodaphone please report on how it goes I've been looking at it myself but from what I've read on the Vodaphone community it's just as bad as VM.

I can't make my mind up to change over now or wait until cityfibre is actually complete in my area, if VM can offer me 1GB for less than £50 I will stay with them until I can get cityfibre.

According to Community Fibre, it will be in my area in 6-8 months, trying to decide now if I stick with VM out of contract and take the price rise hit for now until I can leave, or negotiate and get locked into another 18months with VM.

Last edited:
According to Community Fibre, it will be in my area in 6-8 months, trying to decide now if I stick with VM out of contract and take the price rise hit for now until I can leave, or negotiate and get locked into another 18months with VM.

I would go with the latter. No guarantees they will be there in that time. Sod paying double or more to be out of contract.

Community Fibre sent a letter saying they will be in my area in 3 months a few weeks ago. But I am not holding my breath.

Does community fibre run on openreach's lines or are they laying their own? According to Openreach map no immediate plans for them in my area..

How did you get Community Fibre to give you that estimate?

I phoned them.

My area is confirmed as getting the service soon according to there website, and I found a map on their website that shows my area highlighted in orange, which I gathered means they are starting rolling it out here.

Last edited:
I would go with the latter. No guarantees they will be there in that time. Sod paying double or more to be out of contract.

Community Fibre sent a letter saying they will be in my area in 3 months a few weeks ago. But I am not holding my breath.

Does community fibre run on openreach's lines or are they laying their own? According to Openreach map no immediate plans for them in my area..

What area of London?

I might just hold off renegotiating with VM for now, I can haggle whenever being out of contract.

Scroll to bottom and they have a map of the next phase of rollout.

Last edited:
How much is e.g. 10 months with VM on an out-of-contract rate compared to 18 months contracted? It's probably cheaper to get a decent renewal price and just 'waste' the last few months.

How much is e.g. 10 months with VM on an out-of-contract rate compared to 18 months contracted? It's probably cheaper to get a decent renewal price and just 'waste' the last few months.

Yeah I think I will, looking on the rollout map for community fibre, even areas in purple that supposedly have coverage its actually patchy coverage in the boroughs.

Im just wondering if I should haggle with VM or try the cancel route, Ive not got any decent alternative you see, to go the cancel route and use that as a bargaining chip.

That map on their website seems very inaccurate so I wouldn't read into it much at all. It looks like it's generated by drawing a radius around a premise they serve and then just adding a halo to it as a "coming soon" thing. If they are estimating 6-8 months I'd assume it will be the upper end of that number and then a bit longer. If you try and hang on with an out-of-contract rate thinking it will just be six months then I think you'll be disappointed.

I've not yet seen a fibre builder come in on their estimates - G.Network dug roads up in Islington last June and their website still says that they're registering interest. Hyperoptic put fibre into the BT chambers in January and think service is going to be six months away. In another area Openreach said FTTP was "coming soon" in June 2021, fibred half the town in a six week period starting in March 2022 and then stopped.

That map on their website seems very inaccurate so I wouldn't read into it much at all. It looks like it's generated by drawing a radius around a premise they serve and then just adding a halo to it as a "coming soon" thing. If they are estimating 6-8 months I'd assume it will be the upper end of that number and then a bit longer. If you try and hang on with an out-of-contract rate thinking it will just be six months then I think you'll be disappointed.

I've not yet seen a fibre builder come in on their estimates - G.Network dug roads up in Islington last June and their website still says that they're registering interest. Hyperoptic put fibre into the BT chambers in January and think service is going to be six months away. In another area Openreach said FTTP was "coming soon" in June 2021, fibred half the town in a six week period starting in March 2022 and then stopped.

Yeah I agree, I may try what's app for VM to haggle see what they can do first, do you think If I mention community fibre they might give me a better deal.

I really see no point in going the cancel route as I will need to stay with VM as I have no decent alternative and if they don't phone, which is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom