Virgin Media Discussion Thread

What area of London?

I might just hold off renegotiating with VM for now, I can haggle whenever being out of contract.

Scroll to bottom and they have a map of the next phase of rollout.

Oh cool. Basically I am in somewhere on the orange zone :D

Same:D

But as mentioned above the map is quite sketchy when you zoom in, Dagenham for example doesn't have any coverage. I think we could be waiting quite a while yet:(

Why they sending me letters getting my hopes up then? :p:(

No biggie, I will use that as a negotiating tactic with Virgin. Happy to stay with them another 18 months if need be.

Why they sending me letters getting my hopes up then? :p:(

No biggie, I will use that as a negotiating tactic with Virgin. Happy to stay with them another 18 months if need be.

Send me a letter my way:D

I might mention them when I haggle with VM, not quite sure what to say though, give me a better price or im off to Community Fibre in 18 months time!:D

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
I just phoned VM, they didn't offer much on price discount and deals, so instead they offered a rolling contract and waved the incoming price rise of £12.

Still paying a lot but at least I can cancel whenever a cheaper/better service comes along like community fibre.

Last edited:
I just phoned VM, they didn't offer much on price discount and deals, so instead they offered a rolling contract and waved the incoming price rise of £12.

Still paying a lot but at least I can cancel whenever a cheaper/better service comes along like community fibre.

How much you paying? I am paying £25 for the 200 meg line and boosting it to 350 (it is actually about 380mb) with a cheap £6 O2 contract. But some here get 250mb for £18 so I feel a bit ripped off. If I stay I will try and get what I have for £20 or less or ask for 1gig line for no more than £28 as I know that is how much a member here recently got it for.

Will see what's what in a few months :D

How much you paying? I am paying £25 for the 200 meg line and boosting it to 350 (it is actually about 380mb) with a cheap £6 O2 contract. But some here get 250mb for £18 so I feel a bit ripped off. If I stay I will try and get what I have for £20 or less or ask for 1gig line for no more than £28 as I know that is how much a member here recently got it for.

Will see what's what in a few months :D

Too much, due to my **** haggling skills.

my package is

350 broadband
mixit TV
Talk more anytime

£79

I know people get much better at lower prices, but I don't want to be locked into 18month contract now, so will just stick with time being and see what happens in the near future from other services.

Last edited:
  • Wow
@ CF93

If you get Vodaphone please report on how it goes I've been looking at it myself but from what I've read on the Vodaphone community it's just as bad as VM.

I can't make my mind up to change over now or wait until cityfibre is actually complete in my area, if VM can offer me 1GB for less than £50 I will stay with them until I can get cityfibre.
Vodafone's CS is not good. They repeatedly screwed me and Kelly Communications when booking the install by giving us incorrect times.

It's also a faff to call them with long wait times and support staff who can't really help.

However the service has been flawless since install, never dipped below 900mbit both ways with consistent low pings, and no packet loss, see here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/virgin-media-discussion-thread.17701788/post-36201358
I would go with the latter. No guarantees they will be there in that time. Sod paying double or more to be out of contract.

Community Fibre sent a letter saying they will be in my area in 3 months a few weeks ago. But I am not holding my breath.

Does community fibre run on openreach's lines or are they laying their own? According to Openreach map no immediate plans for them in my area..
Community fibre operate their own network outside openreach/vm. If it's anything like cityfibre, it's a step up from VM (and probably openreach)

@ CF93

If you get Vodaphone please report on how it goes

Will do

VM been in touch with again today, more of the same questions, it's now been nearly 4 days since I first got I was touch with them and I still can't even get a list of possible packages, and they change the prices every 2 seconds, so def gonna move somewhere else now!

Reactions: R3X
Community fibre operate their own network outside openreach/vm. If it's anything like cityfibre, it's a step up from VM (and probably openreach)

Technically the Community Fibre network is a step up on Openreach in that it's XGS-PON and they offer a symmetric service over it, but I think physically some of the AltNets have a long way to go. It's not uncommon to hear about a single cabinet losing power and taking huge areas offline, or a cable break affecting thousands of homes. Openreach's position as a wholesale provider means their customers have a lot more weight to throw around, and Ofcom get involved where things like fault resolution times are concerned. As far as managing the quality of a lot of these smaller networks goes, Ofcom are completely hands-off.

Music to my ears. So they may genuinely be coming in less than 3 months time then.

I literally just got a letter through the post saying my £25 package will be going up £7 from 1st May.

I will just absorb the extra cost for a couple of months in hope Community Fibre actually go live in my area like they think they will.

Music to my ears. So they may genuinely be coming in less than 3 months time then.

I literally just got a letter through the post saying my £25 package will be going up £7 from 1st May.

I will just absorb the extra cost for a couple of months in hope Community Fibre actually go live in my area like they think they will.

Thats what Im hoping!

Where did you get the 3 months from, was that on your CF letter?

Thats what Im hoping!

Where did you get the 3 months from, was that on your CF letter?

Yep. Got it in the post maybe two weeks ago I think. I also yesterday signed up on their website showing my interest. I suggest you do the same if you have not done so already as they say something about getting a special introductory offer if you do when they eventually arrive?

I finally asked Virgin to disconnect - I have been trying to get a new 18 months deal, rather than an additional discount to cancel the price rise until the end of my contract, which means I will need to chase for another deal in June - which I am not interested in.

I spoke to a number of people at Virgin and none where able to meet my ask; to pay the same as I am paying now, but for another 18 months.. In the end, following my disconnection request they rang again a couple of days later and to be fair offered a deal very close to what I was asking, but as I am stubborn and have nothing to lose I denied their offer and will continue with my Vodafone (900/900) installation in the couple of weeks. I told them to call back if they were able to meet me on the price.

VM has been rock solid since I installed it, so hopefully I wont regret going Vodafone. :)

I finally asked Virgin to disconnect - I have been trying to get a new 18 months deal, rather than an additional discount to cancel the price rise until the end of my contract, which means I will need to chase for another deal in June - which I am not interested in.

I spoke to a number of people at Virgin and none where able to meet my ask; to pay the same as I am paying now, but for another 18 months.. In the end, following my disconnection request they rang again a couple of days later and to be fair offered a deal very close to what I was asking, but as I am stubborn and have nothing to lose I denied their offer and will continue with my Vodafone (900/900) installation in the couple of weeks. I told them to call back if they were able to meet me on the price.

VM has been rock solid since I installed it, so hopefully I wont regret going Vodafone. :)

Let us know if they call. They just might. What was you asking for?

I phoned cityfibre myself today and asked when were they planned for my street. I was told 1st phase would begin at the end of May, 2nd phase would hopefully be completed end of December when ISP's have been signed. I am stuck at the moment because I have asked people on my street before if their internet was running fine and was told no it wasn't, many have complained about it either being slow or going off all the time.

I also phoned VM today several times to get a better deal guess what! they were having system problems all day, what a joke.

Let us know if they call. They just might. What was you asking for?

I am currently paying £45 for:

1gig (volt)
Basic TV package (360 box)
Phone Line

They offered the above for £46/month.. I told you they were close. :) But unless they give me £18 credit, or drop the price to £45 im gone.. Its not about the money, its a challenge for me now. :-D

Christ, how come some of you get such good prices for decent speeds as well, I’m here trying to get a new deal out of contract and it’s like getting blood out of a stone. Screw VM, as soon as the alternatives show up I’m off.

Reactions: R3X
Christ, how come some of you get such good prices for decent speeds as well, I’m here trying to get a new deal out of contract and it’s like getting blood out of a stone. Screw VM, as soon as the alternatives show up I’m off.

Your doing it wrong that's why :cry:

You don't even need to negotiate. Request to disconnect it out of contract, once done wait for phone call. Just say you can't afford it. Then you will get a phone call after from retentions team. Don't accept the first deal they offer. Say it is still too much, eventually they will make better and better offers.

Some are happy to lie and make **** up which also helps if you can do that :cry:

In my experience they have offered better price 3-4 times when I say no.

There is a link on money saving expert that lay out more tactics if you need it. But it ain't hard. Just keep saying no basically until the price drops.

Soon when community fibre arrive it will make negotiation super easy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom