Virgin Media Discussion Thread

I have a suspicion someone higher than the customer service team decides what the retention offers can be for X period and you can luck right into a good one.

Then a little later it's decided that there's been sufficient retentions so the deal is cut.

I think we need someone to snitch how it really works.

@ CF93

If you get Vodaphone please report on how it goes I've been looking at it myself but from what I've read on the Vodaphone community it's just as bad as VM.

I can't make my mind up to change over now or wait until cityfibre is actually complete in my area, if VM can offer me 1GB for less than £50 I will stay with them until I can get cityfibre.

Ordered the 500meg package for £29 last night. Got various emails and texts from both Vodafone and Cityfibre within minutes confirming the package, install date (28th) and time (Vodafone say 8am to 1pm, Cityfibre say 7am to midday, whatever) but so far haven't been able to log in to my new (auto created) Vodafone account using the temp password. Just keep getting sorry try again in a minute, but the new account registration page did say the service is down for maintenance so hoping it's nothing more sinister than that.
Concidentally my Dad ordered the same package a couple of days ago, but yesterday got a mail saying his order was cancelled. Apparently some issue with VM not releasing landline numbers. A couple of days earlier, his neighbour had Cityfibre turn up, drill holes then say they couldn't install, I don't know why, so they just left...my Dads a bit concerned now as he's already cancelled his VM service and his house is identical to the neighbours...

so far haven't been able to log in to my new (auto created) Vodafone account using the temp password. Just keep getting sorry try again in a minute, but the new account registration page did say the service is down for maintenance so hoping it's nothing more sinister than that.

Im in the same position as you, installation on the 20th.. While trying to sort out my account access I eventually got through to somebody who said my account would not be activated (to enable me to log in) until the service had been activated.. So I guess I'll see in a weeks time if that is true.

Never cancel the service you are leaving until the new one is live.
Yeh, I'd never do that personally, but he's more bothered about the hassle of having to sort it out than not having Internet for a bit if it doesn't go smoothly. He already went back to just Freeview for TV, already moved his mobiles to Vodafone recently, and only really needs Internet now for Netflix and the odd bit of shopping.

Im in the same position as you, installation on the 20th.. While trying to sort out my account access I eventually got through to somebody who said my account would not be activated (to enable me to log in) until the service had been activated.. So I guess I'll see in a weeks time if that is true.
Thanks for letting me know, guess I'll just wait then.

Yeh, I'd never do that personally, but he's more bothered about the hassle of having to sort it out than not having Internet for a bit if it doesn't go smoothly. He already went back to just Freeview for TV, already moved his mobiles to Vodafone recently, and only really needs Internet now for Netflix and the odd bit of shopping.

Thanks for letting me know, guess I'll just wait then.

Get him on a 5G broadband connection

I got excellent deals this shows how much virgin media are ripping us off they can discount your packages if you push them hard enough on WhatsApp..

I'd second this. I tried (and failed) to get a decent deal twice with customer support and retentions. I even gave my 30days notice and hadn't had a call from outbound retentions after a week.

Thought I'd give the WhatsApp channel a go, and (after quite a while of giving info, quoting new customer deals etc.) I got something I was happy with - 500Mb, Maxit TV + phone (weekends only, but we don't make outbound calls on it) for £47 + 100MB O2 SIM for £15.

Reactions: R3X
Ordered the 500meg package for £29 last night. Got various emails and texts from both Vodafone and Cityfibre within minutes confirming the package, install date (28th) and time (Vodafone say 8am to 1pm, Cityfibre say 7am to midday, whatever) but so far haven't been able to log in to my new (auto created) Vodafone account using the temp password. Just keep getting sorry try again in a minute, but the new account registration page did say the service is down for maintenance so hoping it's nothing more sinister than that.
Concidentally my Dad ordered the same package a couple of days ago, but yesterday got a mail saying his order was cancelled. Apparently some issue with VM not releasing landline numbers. A couple of days earlier, his neighbour had Cityfibre turn up, drill holes then say they couldn't install, I don't know why, so they just left...my Dads a bit concerned now as he's already cancelled his VM service and his house is identical to the neighbours...

I just can't make my mind up, I either change now over to vodaphone and pay £45 for 910/105 knowing there is an issue with FTTP speeds in my street, or do I sign a new contract with Virgin for £47 (1GIG) for another 18 months giving cityfibre time to be installed and then join vodaphone for there 900/900 speed. I'm only moving because I have waited so many years with VM to improve there upload speeds but they are taking way to long.

I just can't make my mind up, I either change now over to vodaphone and pay £45 for 910/105 knowing there is an issue with FTTP speeds in my street, or do I sign a new contract with Virgin for £47 (1GIG) for another 18 months giving cityfibre time to be installed and then join vodaphone for there 900/900 speed. I'm only moving because I have waited so many years with VM to improve there upload speeds but they are taking way to long.
Go with Aquiss, only a 12 month contract.

Yeah I know this, but also knowing there is a problem in my area with FTTP speeds it's only this that is putting me of for now. I've waited many years for it to be fixed but nothings been done hence me staying put with VM. I can see Virgin waiting till April before they upgrade the upload speed for 1GB users and I can wait for cityfibre I have waited this long so another 18 months isn't going to hurt.

I pay £30 for just 125mb broadband, had email going up £7, but late march i got a chance to get YouFibre(anyone use them) i am Wiltshire, been offered YouFibre 1000mbps for just £1 a month for first free months, then £29.99 for 24 months contract, you reckon they may match that ?

Last edited:
@ Chris we have had this conversation before either in this thread or the BT thread.

The street I live on and the actual area of Warmsworth, many suffer from poor download/upload issues this as been ongoing now for several years and nothing is being done to fix this issue. I have asked and seen these speed problems and to me it looks like high utilization or over subscribing issues but I thought this can't happen on FTTP! but the speeds just keep dropping. We still have people knocking on our door about once a month asking us do we still have issues with our internet even though I have told them I am with VM. Most of the street are either with BT, plusnet, a few are on Shell (a company I would never consider using) there is Talk Talk and Sky but with the issue not being with just one ISP it's many I can't get myself to leave VM for one at the moment until cityfibre come in and see if they sort the issues out or not.

I would love to jump ship and it's only vodaphone I would try, it's the only one around here who do offer symmetrical speeds on cityfibre for now anyway but seeing as cityfibre won't be installed fully on our street until the end of December I just don't know what to do.

Phoned up VM, the agent wanted to give me a £3 discount when the increase was £12, I said I'm a longer term customer & not i'm happy with that, so I might cancel he put me through to another line, i'm guessing Retentions - but it was automated the Bot said they could offer a discount of £6 & you just follow the prompts to press 1 if you happy with it.

Oh The HUB4 got a Firmware update about a month ago. I was getting a lot of Pre RS Errors on the Status page and they are all gone. Either its properly fixed or they masking the errors count? The speedtest & the BQM are still the same.

Phoned up VM, the agent wanted to give me a £3 discount when the increase was £12, I said I'm a longer term customer & not i'm happy with that, so I might cancel he put me through to another line, i'm guessing Retentions - but it was automated the Bot said they could offer a discount of £6 & you just follow the prompts to press 1 if you happy with it.

I did it via WhatsApp and took away the full increase amount without taking new contract

Guess you could go to the point 30 days notice cancellation and get them to offer you something better but I couldn't go through all that faff

Mines £21 for 125mb so it's not too bad , just wish I get FTTP in area soon so can get better deals :(

Back
Top Bottom