Virgin Media Discussion Thread

For peoples information, I phoned up today sheepishly asking them to wave the £7 price increase and the reduced my price from the current £33 to £29.5 for the same service. How bizarre, anyway always phone up and select thinking of leaving.

I'm on 500 mb by the way

Last edited:
I would be tempted to make sure to ask if it’s a new contract as I’m fairly sure you go back into an 18th month one.

Be careful and ask questions. Get it in a message to confirm.
Nah, he was at great pains to say my contract ends in September and to phone up in August because a load of current discounts will end, tbh I'm surprised at how well they've done.

Oh that will explain it then so they just move you over to a rolling contract?

Not sure, but they offered us that when we tried to get the price down, as we said we can’t afford it, they removed the price rise, we also said we may be leaving soon, so they gave us the option of a rolling contract.
We were already out of contract as well though.

Last edited:
Just did the 'I can't afford it' call with VM. Ignored the automated and first line novelty offers and got through to second line retentions. My existing contract for 250MB (Volt 350 separate billed +£6 O2 SIM) was £24 for 12 months then £30 for remaining 6 months and I'm just into the £30 period now, which will jump to £37 if do nothing. They gave a few options which weren't ideal, so instead I'll keep the existing contract running but for £24 for next two months and £31 for the last three months. Hopefully when the contract ends in August there will be other options, as it looks like OR and another FTTP provider are in the building stages here, so I'm not locked into another 12-18 months... yet at least.

Last edited:
Hello all can someone explain to me because I got the letter stating that there’s going to be an increase in my bundle of £21.50.

I’m currently paying £60 + £25 for o2 SIM only. Are they calculating this is it based on the original virgin contract? As I do have a discount.

As well it states it won’t increase until my current price offer ends, does this mean it won’t increase until after my “Welcome offer - 18 month saving ends on 26 February 2024”?

Thanks!

Personally I think it’s criminal to increase the price mid contract!

Last edited:
Hello all can someone explain to me because I got the letter stating that there’s going to be an increase in my bundle of £21.50.

I’m currently paying £60 + £25 for o2 SIM only. Are they calculating this is it based on the original virgin contract? As I do have a discount.

As well it states it won’t increase until my current price offer ends, does this mean it won’t increase until after my “Welcome offer - 18 month saving ends on 26 February 2024”?

Thanks!

Personally I think it’s criminal to increase the price mid contract!
I believe price increases are based on pre discount prices.

My parents place is going from 16 to 23 quid so that's well above CPI etc. Almost 50%.

I believe price increases are based on pre discount prices.

My parents place is going from 16 to 23 quid so that's well above CPI etc. Almost 50%.

It's not just RPI

From April 2024, we are changing our approach so any price rise to your package is always made at the same time every year, and it’ll be linked to the Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation plus an additional 3.9%, so the amount of any increase will be clearer, sooner. To do this, we need to change our terms and conditions. The key features of these new rules are:

They offer rolling contracts.
I think mine is the same contract just lower price, the discount he gave me is for 12 months, but the contracted discount ends earlier so I phone up before that ends to get them reinstated. These companies are all tying themselves in knots. It's crazy, I plan on phoning before the end of contract to add tv anyway so I'll try and get it all reset to one date then.
It's all a waste of time but a not insignificant saving in the end for the customer.

Anyone on the phone service ever had an email to say they are switching to a internet based phone service where they send you an adapter for you to plug phone line into the VM hub?

Im curious if they automatically remove the the phone line cost from you monthly price? What is it something like £14 for cost of phone line, well if they are switching me should they not take that cost out of my plan.

Anyone on the phone service ever had an email to say they are switching to a internet based phone service where they send you an adapter for you to plug phone line into the VM hub?

Im curious if they automatically remove the the phone line cost from you monthly price? What is it something like £14 for cost of phone line, well if they are switching me should they not take that cost out of my plan.

Not heard of this but there’s a big push now to get every one away from the old analog services. 2025 is supposed to be the analog switch off.

When I moved to Virgin Media from Zen Internet it was decided to move the phone line over as well so our old analog line is deactivated. Next time the net gets renewed or changed the landline will completely be removed in favour of mobiles.

What this means is that they will no longer accept new orders or upgrades from next year 2023 and will move existing lines to VoIP in 2025. Therefore, by then all calls will be routed over digital network as opposed to the old analogue or ISDN network.

Everyone and every phone line will be affected, business and residential customers: credit card payment lines, alarms, CCTV, faxes, not just voice lines.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just find that a little strange, because you pay for a phone plan which is a separate price from the line fee.

If your not using the dedicated phone line that comes into the house anymore why should I need to pay it.

It's probably because of the number and support service but they probably don't tell you. Give VM a call and ask and report back?

Back
Top Bottom