Virgin Media Discussion Thread

@Rensin - Power level is a bit low although might be okay however a couple of channels are falling back to QAM32 and QAM16 - they should all be the same, usually QAM64 - which would suggest a noise issue. Have you double checked the coaxial connection and cables on both the router and any TV boxes etc you may have? Do you have any attenuators on the coaxial cable before it goes into the router?
There is no attenuators and the coax is tight on back of the Hub. We have 3x tv boxes so will have to go check them.

Problem is, it was a bodge install done by NTL 20+ years ago with multi-room, rather than put a central splitter and run to each room upstairs they just kept adding 2 way splitters when needed and from what I remember there is about 8x 2 way splitters around the house plus the surge connectors on each splitter so going to be a pia.

I guess will be easier to disconnect all the 2 way splitters and see if problem is still there.

Just ordered with VM:

Ultimate Volt
O2 unlimited data/roaming etc
1 Gb broadband (to be used as a backup to my main FTTP 900 connection)
All TV packages including Sky Sports in HD, BT Sports in UHD
Netflix Standard

£155 Amazon voucher.
£200 bill credit.

Makes it £65 a month, not including CPI/RPI increases.

I can add Sky Sports UHD for £4 a month from memory, and upgrade Netflix if I want for a fiver.

Previously I was paying EE £43 a month for my SIM and BT Sport on the big screen, plus £63 (after the recent increase) to to Sky for all TV/Sport. EE really struggled to find me a better deal as I'm on an old grandfathered SIM with free roaming and BT big screen for £5 + VAT instead of £10 + VAT.

After 18 months I'll likely go back to Sky as a new customer and drop the VM broadband to their cheapest as a backup.

It'll be interesting to see how the broadband performs.

Last edited:
That's a pretty fine price. I'm still in contract and paying £69 for what's officially 500Mb Internet but upped to Gig1 because I'm with o2 already, landline phone that I don't use and TV with all channels except for sport/movies etc.

My VM Gig1 is also being used as a backup connection since I have an FTTP connection too, so I need to motivate myself to give VM a call and downgrade Internet to lowest speed. That's 130 these days I think, so with Volt I'd end up with a 260 meg backup connection. Still plenty, but I bet they either won't let me do it or won't knock enough off the bill for it to be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Pretty similar deal I have also, it was the hotuk deals promo though so roughly £67 per month for the works but with o2 sim which I downgraded to cheapest £8 monthly tariff just have to wait for the £197 top cash back to poll but you got no price increase so its very good, mine will go up next spring like many.

Just keep an eye they are taking your bills out of the £200 credit (usually fine) and since you are on the 1Gb bb if you really wanted to you can blag you have poor wifi speeds and as an 1Gb customer you can get a pod free. After the 1st pod arrives you can call back and get a 2nd pod also.

Spent a lot of time in Ireland lately and I'd heard about 2Gb being available in parts there.. That's deployed over fibre though - don't know if they do the RFoG thing over there or if they actually deploy it as full FTTP with an ONT but I'd assume the latter.

So virgin called me up yesterday and offered

1gb fibre
O2 Sim
Landline with talk weekend
TV inc BT Sports

For £59 per month for 18 months

Currently I’m paying

£50 for the M350 and landline with talk weekends (feel like I’m over paying here)

And pay £10 for my sim only with three

Seems like a no brainer

My contract ends in September

Is that offer good? Or should I wait till contract is up / retentions? I tried the retentions last time but ended up with what have now which wasn’t good

Reactions: R3X
My cut of date is the 15th. Let's see if I get any last minute calls tomorrow or the next day. I get the feeling no as they just don't want to compete with Community Fibre and I mentioned them on our last call and the guy was sorry can't do it :cry:

Anyone managed to get out of contract deal with them? Fir me it is either that, or go elsewhere at a slower speed for a month or so until Community Fibre goes live.

My contract has ended and the monthly bill went up to £62 a month for broadband only.
Called VM and all they can offer me is £3 a month discount if I sign up for 18 months contract :cry:
Obviously went ahead with cancellation and hoping they will call me with a better offer before my disconnection date on the 14th of July.

Last edited:
Just ordered with VM:

Ultimate Volt
O2 unlimited data/roaming etc
1 Gb broadband (to be used as a backup to my main FTTP 900 connection)
All TV packages including Sky Sports in HD, BT Sports in UHD
Netflix Standard

£155 Amazon voucher.
£200 bill credit.

Makes it £65 a month, not including CPI/RPI increases.

I can add Sky Sports UHD for £4 a month from memory, and upgrade Netflix if I want for a fiver.

Previously I was paying EE £43 a month for my SIM and BT Sport on the big screen, plus £63 (after the recent increase) to to Sky for all TV/Sport. EE really struggled to find me a better deal as I'm on an old grandfathered SIM with free roaming and BT big screen for £5 + VAT instead of £10 + VAT.

After 18 months I'll likely go back to Sky as a new customer and drop the VM broadband to their cheapest as a backup.

It'll be interesting to see how the broadband performs.
They didn't hang about, Avonline just turned up to do the external work. Actual install isn't until the 29th.

Reactions: R3X
So in case VM doesn’t give me a better offer and I will go ahead with disconnection, can I then order it again on my partners name as a new customer.?

Last edited:
So virgin called me up yesterday and offered

1gb fibre
O2 Sim
Landline with talk weekend
TV inc BT Sports

For £59 per month for 18 months

Currently I’m paying

£50 for the M350 and landline with talk weekends (feel like I’m over paying here)

And pay £10 for my sim only with three

Seems like a no brainer

My contract ends in September

Is that offer good? Or should I wait till contract is up / retentions? I tried the retentions last time but ended up with what have now which wasn’t good

Excellent deal imo, some people are paying over 60 quid just for the 1gig alone.... maybe as an last ditch attempt see if you can be except from any april or future price increases and then tell them you will go for the contract based off that if not its still worth it imo.

If you check right on top you can see even my deal is around £67 for similar and that is with cash backs and £200 credit so £59 is a bargain imo.

Last edited:
So in case VM doesn’t give me a better offer and I will go ahead with disconnection, can I then order it again on my partners name as a new customer.?

Pretty much the way this song and dance goes, you might get someone from cancellations or retention's or sales teams who ever gives you a proper deal and discount you can consider it.

At this point VM sales, cancellations and retention's they know many customers are aware of what is a decent deal and what one should be paying due to internet, they just want to catch the ones that are happy to pay £130+ for something that should be almost half the price.

If you picture it this way you are paying £62 for bb alone, there are many others paying £59 per month with bb+Tv+o2+land line like a million more things thrown in, cant recall of top of my head but I think I saw someone paying £18 per month with just 1gig bb but others were on around £30 per.

Turns out I 'only' have 250 GB of data with O2, I'm sure it used to be unlimited via Volt. With that said, I barely use any data these days and I have my work Vodafone SIM in my phone which I can use and no doubt will have to at times as O2 data around here is congested and very slow. The port is happening tomorrow, I'll be sad to leave EE as they have generally been excellent but they are also expensive.

I also configured my UDM SE in preparation for the VM install, just have to figure out how to get the cable from the front of the house to my network cupboard.

Back
Top Bottom