Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
So we've been back with VM for a few months now after leaving to go to BT a couple of years ago. We're lucky that we have BT Fibre and VM at our home.

I'm on the Gig package, and honestly it's much better this time. I guess local area upgrades and more competition have helped.
Same here, I can get OR FTTP and VM at my house and the VM connection is very good. When my contract is up for renewal, if they give me a decent deal I wouldn't hesitate to stay with them.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Have just moved to VM myself after giving up waiting for FTTP. On the M500 package currently (was getting the full 80/20 via FTTC previously) and have to say I'm very pleased. This area used to be terribly over subscribed and would have slowdowns etc in the evening but I'm getting a solid and consistent and 550/55.

Lets see how long I can hold off before I can't resist moving to the 1Gig package. lol.

Soldato
Have just moved to VM myself after giving up waiting for FTTP. On the M500 package currently (was getting the full 80/20 via FTTC previously) and have to say I'm very pleased. This area used to be terribly over subscribed and would have slowdowns etc in the evening but I'm getting a solid and consistent and 550/55.

Lets see how long I can hold off before I can't resist moving to the 1Gig package. lol.

Shame you don't have volt, got a cheap o2 sim only for £6 and it boosts mine to 1gig.

Associate
Same here, I can get OR FTTP and VM at my house and the VM connection is very good. When my contract is up for renewal, if they give me a decent deal I wouldn't hesitate to stay with them.
Same here, I moved from Sky FTTP to Virgin in September. Other than slightly higher latency on Virgin Vs Sky (it presents no issue in relation to the connections usability) the service has been excellent. I have no gripes at all, will happily remain with Virgin come contract renewal time assuming their offering is comparable/better value than Sky. (We have a TV sub as well as internet)

Soldato
Nice little bit of anecdotal information for anybody on Virgin upgrading to 1Gig. I had Deco M5 discs dotted around my house (3 discs), and could only get around 90mbps maximum in my office, which is the opposite corner of the house from my lounge.

Bought a set of 3 Deco BE65 units, plugged them all in to the same spots as the Deco M5s were, and my office is now getting 1gig speeds.

I live in a 3 bedroom detached 1930s house, and I'm not aware of any of my devices being WiFi 7 compatible, but quite a few are WiFi 6. I'll be getting the Iphone 16, so hopefully that'll have WiFi 7.

Apparently I can stick the Hub 5 I've just got in to modem mode, and the Deco will act as a router as well, but there looks to be a fair bit of manual config on that, and I can't be arsed unless there's a significant improvement in some way!

One thing I noticed is just how much apple's private relay service drags down internet speeds. If I'm getting ~550mbps on wi-fi in a bedroom, if I turn on private relay, it drops to ~40mbps.

Last edited:
Associate
SH5 is the best hub I've used of the ones they do. It was the SH3 which was dire, but I think in modem mode they were all fine, it was the router/wireless part particularly of SH3 which was poor. There is a limit on the speed the SH2 you have will provide, as it doesn't use DOCSIS3.1 so eventually you'll need to change it to get the quicker speeds.

More info here - https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

edit: corrected as was talking about the Hub5 not Hub4
Went for the SH4 update and they delivered it today and jsut swapped the SH2 for the SH4 - did a quick check in roouter mode before I switched to modem mode - initially speed looked bad but fortunately when checking on how to switch to modem mode I read that it takes a a bit to tune its conncetion to best speed and now its running a bit faster than the SH2 (I have 250 service - SH2 would get 260-ish and SH4 is at 275 + upload is now 25 vs 20).
Also, SH4 has telephone sockets (though not currently enbaled) so I guess the switch was part of VM getting ready to shunt everyone onto VOIP telephony.

Soldato
I still cant get their claws of me, tech didnt show up to pickup equipment, took 4 calls, with about 1-2 hours total call duration to get them to agree to it and then that happened. They are telling me will bill me for the hub and stream box in 4 days time.

The people that man the forums I got them to bite, I answered security questions in DM and told them the tech didnt show up, they responded, we can help but please answer the security question, which I already did. O_o

Associate
My VM M600 Ultimate Volt deal is due to expire on the 28th of this month - have been paying £84 for full package with phone and TV.
Looking to upgrade it to 1gig - what price should I expect to pay as an existing customer please?

Last edited:
Soldato
My VM M600 Ultimate Volt deal is due to expire on the 28th of this month - have been paying £84 for full package with phone and TV.
Looking to upgrade it to 1gig - what price should I expect to pay as an existing customer please?
Anything from about £35 to about £90. Hopefully you win the raffle.

Associate
Got 1 gig mega volt for £81 - they wouldn't budge any lower.
Not great but still cheaper then the £85 I was paying for m600

Soldato
Got 1 gig mega volt for £81 - they wouldn't budge any lower.
Not great but still cheaper then the £85 I was paying for m600
how long were you with them? That's not a great deal to be honest. If you do not require the TV stuff you could try hyperoptic or even community fiber if its available in your area. You could just put a cancelation in and wait for them to phone you back, their retention department should do before your contracts up. The problem with virgin is the terrible upload speeds and patchy service I was getting with them, finally had enough left them after being with them for almost 8 years. You are paying £81 and only getting 100mb upload with hyperoptic i get 1000 up and 1000 down for £36 a month, virgin need to sort this out.

I just hope you get reliable service as its least they can do for you. Initially they were horrid but have improved but still a long way to go.

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair if it's the full TV/Phone/internet package that is not terrible, it is competitive with the likes of BT and Sky, but yes people do get better from retentions magic 8 ball pricing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The "Mega Volt" is a bundle of broadband, a SIM, anytime calls, and all the TV channels inc Sky Sports and Netflix. I assume nobody who buys that bundle is getting Sky Sports by mistake so the only competition at that point is Sky.

Back
Top Bottom