Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
Surely removing a channel must be a breach of contract on Virgins part? Understandable if a channel is removed due to circumstances out of their control such as a provider going into administration etc but in this instance doesnt seem reasonable?
Worse thing is customer service want to add TNT and charge the £20 or whatever it is a month for it. :cry:

Everything had been going so well with them but this really takes the biscuit.

Soldato
Worse thing is customer service want to add TNT and charge the £20 or whatever it is a month for it. :cry:

Slightly off-topic but do you have a DOCSIS-based connection? You used to say how bad it was a while ago, but seems like it’s performing quite well for you at the moment.

Man of Honour
Slightly off-topic but do you have a DOCSIS-based connection? You used to say how bad it was a while ago, but seems like it’s performing quite well for you at the moment.
I'm on RFoG and apart from higher pings, it's been decent. Day to day it doesn't feel any different to the Openreach FTTP I had before. Been a year now and and only one issue which was between VM and Google (I used a VPN to get around it).

Night and day difference compared to when I was on HFC and I vowed never to use them again. But their TV deal with Broadband was too good to turn down and after running VM and FTTP side by side I ultimately decided the VM connection was good enough and cancelled FTTP.

Associate

Oddly I have TNT as part of my package and don't ever watch it as F1 is my only sport indulgence, and yet I've not received an email about it and just checked and it still works.

VM consistency for you, or maybe I'll in another tranche!

Man of Honour
Oddly I have TNT as part of my package and don't ever watch it as F1 is my only sport indulgence, and yet I've not received an email about it and just checked and it still works.

VM consistency for you, or maybe I'll in another tranche!
Do you have Maxit TV?

Man of Honour
I also have that UHD upgrade. It's strange how it only seems to be some customers. I've managed to get it enabled again via WhatsApp.

Soldato
I'm on RFoG and apart from higher pings, it's been decent. Day to day it doesn't feel any different to the Openreach FTTP I had before. Been a year now and and only one issue which was between VM and Google (I used a VPN to get around it).

Night and day difference compared to when I was on HFC and I vowed never to use them again. But their TV deal with Broadband was too good to turn down and after running VM and FTTP side by side I ultimately decided the VM connection was good enough and cancelled FTTP.

Thanks :) We’re on HFC and I’ve been toying with the idea of testing it for 14 days because our G.Fast connection keeps lowering the sync levels and I can’t be bothered to argue with TalkTalk all the time.

I know it’s a bad idea though :/

Soldato
Not always. VM is HFC in my area and I have to be honest, the service has been excellent in the 3 years I’ve been here. Only ditching it because I’ve also got symmetric gigabit and the 3ms pings to UK servers are nicer than the 20ms ish I get on VM. That aside though, I cannot fault it - in this area.

Last edited:
Soldato
As above, I did nearly 4 years with VM here and well over a decade elsewhere and had no significant issues other than the odd national/area outage/fault on HFC, not everyone has it that good, but it's usually down to the original franchise area, a lot of time and money has been spent to standardise much of the infrastructure. When everything is finally fibre, that should make the current lottery of area a lot easier to deal with, even if they still have to live in a world of RFoG with added latency for a while and finally, increased uplinks (though last I heard, VM were still planning on replacing the hardware to allow faster uplinks on HFC).

Ironically I have had more downtime since moving to fibre than I have combined on VM, it's just the way it played out unfortunately, CF has a lot of maturing to do in terms of processes, as does my ISP (Yayzi), but you expect teething issues and seeing how many of the other CF resellers deal with customers, I think i've done OK so far and not having to deal with BT/VM is a positive so far.

Associate
I received the 'TNT Sports' email on Friday (Maxit TV Customer) and despite filling in the form lost access to TNT Sports today.

Tbh I don't use it, really just use Sky Sports for NFL but this has annoyed me enough to call them tomorrow. Fortunately we are out of contract so will look at the leaving dance for a new deal.

Soldato
I hate having to do the run around with VM every 18 months! My contract expired in June, new price was going to be £80 pm for 365mb BB Mix T and an phone line that is never used! Phoned up to cancel (30 days notice) the guy instantly offered me my existing price of £59pm I declined and continued with the disconnection. Exactly 9 days later another guy calls me saying what can I do do make you stay? I spoke about the offers for new customers being less than half the price I was offered for the same package, straight away he offered me my existing package for £39pm!!! Whilst on the phone with the guy (was a lovely chap!) I asked why they are forcing customers to do the disconnection dance, his reply?? GREED! Corporate greed, I've been a customer of VM for 15 years (only decent broadband in my area as BT can only offer 40Mb's), and all they do is try to empty the pocket of the loyal customer.

My in-laws were paying £200+pm because they just accepted the price increases! I quickly explained what to do to my MIL and now paying £60pm as they had been out of contract for 4 years!!!!

Associate
When you know networks are messing around, good news though. Apparently we are getting changed over to fibre soon.
Code:
09:57:32 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - waiting data
 09:57:37 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:57:39 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - waiting data
 09:57:42 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:57:46 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:57:56 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:57:59 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:58:00 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - waiting data
 09:58:01 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - waiting data [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:58:01 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:58:03 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:58:12 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:58:13 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:58:23 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:58:25 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:58:33 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:58:33 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:58:43 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:58:45 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:58:55 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:58:59 dns,error DoH server connection error: Host is unreachable
 09:58:59 dns,error DoH server connection error: Host is unreachable [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:59:01 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:59:02 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:59:05 dns,error DoH server connection error: Host is unreachable
 09:59:05 dns,error DoH server connection error: Host is unreachable [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:59:14 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:59:14 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:59:18 dns,error DoH server connection error: Host is unreachable
 09:59:18 dns,error DoH server connection error: Host is unreachable [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:59:23 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting
 09:59:23 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting [ignoring repeated messages]
 09:59:27 dns,error DoH server connection error: Host is unreachable
 09:59:27 dns,error DoH server connection error: Host is unreachable [ignoring repeated messages]
 11:44:28 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - waiting data
 11:44:33 dns,error DoH server connection error: Idle timeout - connecting

Back
Top Bottom