Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Well looks like my time is up.
18month contract is running, out and wanting to charge me £67 just for broadband. Just been on Virgins chat and apparently, there are no offers for me to renew £67 is the price.

The cancellation request is now in and jumping to EE at £44 + £20 off my new sim contract.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Contract was due to expire at the end of this month and they wanted ~£65 odd (currently paying £33 for just Gig1)
Rang retentions and they initially offered me £44.72, I said do it for a flat £40 and I'll stay.
I get put on hold, matey comes back with we can do it for £36 - happy with that.

Maybe all the Ofcom stuff and negative press has given them a kick up the arse but been happy with the service and never had any major issues (touch wood) outside of the nationwide one that happened back in May '23 I think it was.

Soldato
My new VM500 installation is off to a good start. I've been running a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 and I don't see crazy ping jitter like the graph shows.

I can finally upload and download simultaneously and my ping doesn't go to complete poo!

EDIT: Oh no. The dreaded red line has arrived :(

EDIT #2: I've disabled 'IP flood detection' on the Superhub 3 which will hopefully fix it.

8214cbe7a12a597822b8452c503c41dd8652fa4e.png
By docsis standards thats a good graph. The blue line is much more realistic then the yellow, the yellow just needs one single probe to spike and it will make the yellow bigger, blue represents the average of which its very close to the green your min latency.

If most of your pings were spiking high, then the blue would be closer to the yellow than the green.

Last edited:
Soldato
By docsis standards thats a good graph. The blue line is much more realistic then the yellow, the yellow just needs one single probe to spike and it will make the yellow bigger, blue represents the average of which its very close to the green your min latency.

If most of your pings were spiking high, then the blue would be closer to the yellow than the green.

Thanks for the explanation :)

It's still looking good! Hope that doesn't change after the 14 day cooling off period...

Soldato
I’ve been with VM since cableinet days, years! My only complaint is the routing, for me it seems to do a tour of the UK before hitting the final hops.

Always been the case and always results in my latency higher than a local mates on BT.

You guys managing to get 10ms in the green has me jealous :cry:

Caporegime
They've finally fixed the problem some people were having with the upload profile on Gig1.

I don't know what's happened to my latency recently. I was getting 16ms to bbc.co.uk and for the last few weeks it's been consistently 8-10ms higher.

Soldato
Contract was due to expire at the end of this month and they wanted ~£65 odd (currently paying £33 for just Gig1)
Rang retentions and they initially offered me £44.72, I said do it for a flat £40 and I'll stay.
I get put on hold, matey comes back with we can do it for £36 - happy with that.

Maybe all the Ofcom stuff and negative press has given them a kick up the arse but been happy with the service and never had any major issues (touch wood) outside of the nationwide one that happened back in May '23 I think it was.
Not sure how you managed that best they could do me was £54.
told then them i'd even except £44 as that's what EE are charging. Nope not budging.

Associate
I wouldn’t have either. The deal they offered is not compelling enough.

Keep your phone close by :)

I gave notice the other day.

I currently pay £59 for Ultimate Volt.

I received a call offering the same (which now doesn’t include TNT Sports) for £60/mo. £78/mo including TNT.
Well tomorrow’s disconnection day having had no follow ups from the retention team.

The agent at the end of the last call said they’d take me off the list but I thought it was just reassurance before they persisted anyway!

Happy with Community Fibre so far (I overlapped) but I note two things:
1. web browsing doesn’t feel as snappy. I’ve switched DNS to 8.8.8.8 but still feels a microsecond longer to load a page on CF than VM.
2. Default wireless router is nowhere near as strong. Easy fix for this one.

Last edited:
Associate
I was previously on 150meg for £39 but decided to cancel and go with ee when I was stopped in the street by one of their sales teams. They offered me 150meg for £30 and i took them up on it. A week or so later I discovered that my building didn't have full fibre installed and it may be a year or more before it does. So I cancelled the ordered with them trying to send the modem back but they never sent the white bag to post it back.
A day or so later virgin retentions phoned me offering 350meg for £25 and I gladly accepted. Then while on the virgin phone app I noticed an offer to upgrade to 500meg for £29 or 1gig for £33 so I jumped on the 1gig offer. Happy days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom