Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
you dont have to go though with the disconnection, retentions will call you back and give you a better offer, I do the same thing every 18 months, never had to go through with the disconnection and they always offer a price better than the offer new customers!
This isnt assured, I didnt get the call, and a fair few on reddit report the same. But if you do get the call it does work though.

Avalon on here mentioned it might be related to how the customer is scored internally in terms of potential future revenue, on the likelihood of getting offered a good deal.

Soldato
you dont have to go though with the disconnection, retentions will call you back and give you a better offer, I do the same thing every 18 months, never had to go through with the disconnection and they always offer a price better than the offer new customers!
Yeah, this was just in case I do not get a better deal than a new customer.
This isnt assured, I didnt get the call, and a fair few on reddit report the same. But if you do get the call it does work though.

Avalon on here mentioned it might be related to how the customer is scored internally in terms of potential future revenue, on the likelihood of getting offered a good deal.
I have have broadband with VM so score is most likely crap for me lol

Soldato
So whilst I'm sat here listening to them dig up the road for fibre (nexfibre install), I'm wondering a couple of things:

- Does the cable have to terminate or run into a box on the house, or can it be directly routed through a hole and basically straight into an internal ONT? I ran a conduit under the drive for openreach (but they never came), would be nice to use it.
- Am I stuck with a VM router or can I put it into Modem mode and use my Mikrotik kit with all the setup I like? I assume the alternative is some kind of rubbish double NAT situation? Anyone in this position?

Last edited:
Soldato
My G.Fast sync rate has gone down the toilet recently and Openreach can't fix it because our line is too long, so I'm trying to cancel with TalkTalk.

My next-door neighbour very kindly ran a ping test for me on his Virgin Media connection. Despite being HFC, it performed a lot better than I was expecting! Looks like I'll probably take the plunge and order a service from them.

hgmA9LZ.jpeg

Soldato
Ask him to set up a Thinkbroadband graph, that will give a much clearer picture of what the connection would be like.
He's going to run a long ethernet cable to our house next week so that I can remove the variability of Wi-Fi from my testing.

Once I have their public IP, I'll setup a TBB graph.

Soldato
My VM contract is coming to an end, had a call from someone probably in the Philippines trying to get me to re sign up as my Gig1 is going from £36 to £76 apparently, they were trying to get me into another Gig1 contract that will enhance my web browsing experience, however I was already on Gig1 (Via Volt as I'm on O2).

I've had a look at other providers but I don't see any that would be better than Virgin Media, and I don't want to go much higher than my £36 a month that I'm paying at the moment.

Going to have to ring them in the next week but not looking forward to it, it's usually a long rigmarole of a process.

Soldato
So it looks like Nexfibre will be working on my road at the end of the month to bring fibre to the area.

For anyone who has had this done recently, how long after the work is carried out did the service become available to order?

Back
Top Bottom