Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Had the external installation done yesterday by Kelly Communications and they've left the cable like this. Surely this isn't normal? It's going to prevent us from cutting the grass in this area.
They were actually back today for a neighbours install (different workers) and they agreed it could have been done better so have contacted their regional manager to see if they need to come and review it.

Had the external installation done yesterday by Kelly Communications and they've left the cable like this. Surely this isn't normal? It's going to prevent us from cutting the grass in this area.
They were actually back today for a neighbours install (different workers) and they agreed it could have been done better so have contacted their regional manager to see if they need to come and review it.
Policy was 6" below surface back in the day, admittedly what was usually done was often different, but that's certainly not OK.

In the case of trying to get WiFi boosters to pair with my Hub 5x, I ended up posting on their customer forum. Phone calls and chat were utterly useless and, in the end, I ended up going back and forth with support engineers in private messages... sent the WiFi booster back though, as it really wasn't great to be honest (doesn't like alternative DHCP much, nor Pi-Hole).

I ended up raising a complaint and they've just called me back and I've had a long chat with them.

Looks classy that :cry:
Is it Super Armoured cable they use these days?

Does anyone have any "magic tricks" to actually get through to someone at VM?

Their phone system has no options to speak to anyone, nor does allowing menus to cycle with no input help, contrary to claims otherwise, but instead just kicks you out.
There isn't even an option to raise a complaint, despite their complaints page saying to call the main number. I'm sure that has to be in violation of some Ofcom rule?

With anything beyond the basic, I tend to reach out to the Executive Team as that seems to be the only way to get results.

With anything beyond the basic, I tend to reach out to the Executive Team as that seems to be the only way to get results.

Well at least they called me back after I filed a complaint. The rep also remarked that I was out of contract, to which I explained that, for the first time since I've been a customer they point blank refused to give me any discount when my contract ended.

After a bit more discussion, I've now renewed with a 42% discount so I'm fairly happy with the outcome and it was worth filing the complaint.

Well at least they called me back after I filed a complaint. The rep also remarked that I was out of contract, to which I explained that, for the first time since I've been a customer they point blank refused to give me any discount when my contract ended.

After a bit more discussion, I've now renewed with a 42% discount so I'm fairly happy with the outcome and it was worth filing the complaint.
Good to know exec complaints team might be a way out for people who dont win the retentions raffle.

Internet has been down all day:-(
Mine is showing exactly the same pattern as it did last week when it went down - the ping times shown in my Think Broadband graph gradually increase as my connection grinds to a eventual halt for several hours. I tried to call Virgin about an hour ago and their lines were closed - since when did Virgin's phone lines close so early?

Mine is showing exactly the same pattern as it did last week when it went down - the ping times shown in my Think Broadband graph gradually increase as my connection grinds to a eventual halt for several hours. I tried to call Virgin about an hour ago and their lines were closed - since when did Virgin's phone lines close so early?
Mines back now, it was totaled for 2 days.

Just tell them you're leaving and put your notice in as it costs too much. They'll give a couple of offers at that point which might be okay but better still wait until they phone you back within the 30 days.
Yes, I told them I want to cancel and the person transferred me to retention team straight away. Took the £50 a month 1Gb + phone line deal at the end. Hardly use the phone but keeping it for my elderly parents.

For my next VM renewal - I will get the usual frustrating feel of being ripped off for being loyal, compared to the offers that are presented to new customers.

This idea may have been covered elsewhere however if I cancel the package at the end of the contract, then align a new one in my wife's name to start at the same time. Will this get me access to the new customer offers?

Yes. I did exactly that, but I did leave it a couple of weeks before getting my wife to sign up in her name. Ended up getting a massively better deal.

I was paying £85 a month I think for Gig1 (500Mb Volted), phone, Maxit TV and kids channels. Now she's taken it out in her name paying £47 for exactly the same thing.

To be fair I think if I'd caught any of the calls from retentions they would probably have been able to get me somewhere near that, but I was always busy when they called so didn't get the chance to find out.

Last edited:
This is amazing, I popped into this thread after a long time, and I can see people are still being plagued with problems from VM. This company is just a fail of epic proportions and glad I got rid.

Only problem for me is that 2 weeks without any service is going to be impossible to manage.

That’s just what I did. I have read of other people placing the order in their partner’s name while the service is still active. Giving it an activation date of the day after so downtime should be absolutely minimal.

I have a 2nd connection so wasn’t too bothered and that’s the only reason I left it, not because anyone said I had to.

This is amazing, I popped into this thread after a long time, and I can see people are still being plagued with problems from VM. This company is just a fail of epic proportions and glad I got rid.

In defence of cable I haven't had much issues been with them when it was called blueyonder that's going 20+ years ? , only had few downtime in all that time longest being a day when kids set the cabinet on fire so would say that's good going also no issues with getting advertised speeds in that time

Maybe I'm lucky or it's just that people only post if issues and most with no issues don't post anything so it looks like that

Last edited:
In defence of cable I haven't had much issues been with them when it was called blueyonder that's going 20+ years ? , only had few downtime in all that time longest being a day when kids set the cabinet on fire so would say that's good going also no issues with getting advertised speeds in that time

Maybe I'm lucky or it's just that people only post if issues and most with no issues don't post anything so it looks like that
Yes same, you're hardly going to get loads of "my Internet is working" posts are you :cry:

Back
Top Bottom