Virgin Media Discussion Thread

My packet loss problems are still happening daily. They're sending a "senior engineer" to inspect the cabling on Monday, even though their portal says "There is intermittent signal in your area" every day, and the packet loss happens at specific times (2-5pm).

They've told me that I will have the right to cancel if this doesn't fix it because 3 engineers have visited within a month. Sigh.

Does anybody know why my ping might substantially increase when downloading?

An engineer recently swapped out my SuperHub 5 for another as they suspected it might be the cause of my drop outs. With the old SH5, my ping fluctuated only slightly when downloading. But the replacement SH5 doesn't seem to handle downloads well at all, with traffic on all devices slowing to a crawl if one device (wired or wireless) is downloading.

I doubt this is relevant, but the same engineer did also remove a small attenuator to bring my upstream power levels within spec. I happen to have the same value attenuator spare, so tried downloads with this on and the ping still climbs to unacceptable levels when downloading.

I handed my 30 day notice in on the 12th of this month. The VM agent started to question why I had left and I told him virgin have priced themselves out and they don't offer what I wanted which was more upload speed. He was just about to start saying well we can offer but I told him I had already had Cityfibre installed for 2 weeks and I am happy with the speed upgrade and price. I was paying £40.50 for 1GB and talk weekends, now I get 900/900 for £32 not interested in the phone so it's good to get rid of that once and for all.

Just got my last bill which is £69.75 how does this work out! I pay this bill and then they return it all back to me by cheque? I was told they will owe me £67.35 because I handed my 30 day notice 1 day before.

I handed my 30 day notice in on the 12th of this month. The VM agent started to question why I had left and I told him virgin have priced themselves out and they don't offer what I wanted which was more upload speed. He was just about to start saying well we can offer but I told him I had already had Cityfibre installed for 2 weeks and I am happy with the speed upgrade and price. I was paying £40.50 for 1GB and talk weekends, now I get 900/900 for £32 not interested in the phone so it's good to get rid of that once and for all.

Just got my last bill which is £69.75 how does this work out! I pay this bill and then they return it all back to me by cheque? I was told they will owe me £67.35 because I handed my 30 day notice 1 day before.
They will probably spell your name wrong on the cheque(BT did this to me) as a lot of people will not go through all the hassle to get it sorted. Who even uses cheques anymore, they should be forced to put it back in the account they took it from.

Connection is **** again, regret renewing with VM!

Glad I left Virgin in January and went with Community Fibre 1GB for £25 with free installaion and £100 gift voucher, been faultless with CF. I remember when I first joined Virgin and the internet went down for a week (underground cable had been damaged by gas workers), anyway I received a nice cheque from Virgin for £465 for no internet.

Does anyone know the cancellation terms for Virgin Media mid-contract?
I want to leave, but happy to wait a month or so to not incur any extra charges.
They publish them online, in simple terms if its just a cancellation, you would be liable for the remainder of the contracted period for the basic services. Obviously different situations can have different results, eg if you are moving to a non serviceable area and prove it, they wont hold you to contract.

Glad I left Virgin in January and went with Community Fibre 1GB for £25 with free installaion and £100 gift voucher, been faultless with CF. I remember when I first joined Virgin and the internet went down for a week (underground cable had been damaged by gas workers), anyway I received a nice cheque from Virgin for £465 for no internet.
Had VM for a long time(10+ years), never had many problem till I upgraded to 1GB. Last few months its been unreliable, getting between 35 - 100Mb now but it drops to zero so games crash.

Had VM for a long time(10+ years), never had many problem till I upgraded to 1GB. Last few months its been unreliable, getting between 35 - 100Mb now but it drops to zero so games crash.

I was with Freeserve dial-up then NTL at start, went over to Virgin when they purchased NTL think it was 2Mb back then, been with Orange (droputs not good) , Sky (droputs as well), BE and Plusnet (both fine), then back to Virgin for last three years until Jan, they offered me renewal of £38 for 115 Mb and free weekend calls. Community Fibre I always get solid 947Mb upload and download, no down time so far, easy to use third party routers as well like TP Link, Asus etc with CF. Virgin I had to put it in modem mode for the SH3 which was flaky on WIFI so the TP Link worked well with SH3.

I used the TP Link AX20 router which died three weeks ago on CF (after the 3 year warranty). CF was great they tried to solve my TP Link router issue but I had no internet at all on the router (lights were green except red internet light), the separate CF modem was working fine just no internet on the router at all, anyway I had to switch to their Linksys MX5400 router that has a very basic crappy GUI, yesterday I set up my new Asus router TUF-AX6000 with CF and was up and running within minutes.

Pain when routers just die, but it has happened to me before with Netgear and other brands apart from my ASUS routers which are all working and boxed away due to the old tech ie no Wan port or only 100Mb ports. I do have one old TP Link VR900 router working boxed away but I seem to get good luck with Asus routers.

:)

Last edited:
My contract is up but I have zero choices but to stay with VM as the next fastest connection available to my house is 32mb/s compared to the 250mb/s I have with VM.

Same here. To be fair for 95% of the time I've not had an issue but 2 years running I had TV and internet issues over the weekend of the Open Golf which is a tournament I take time off work to watch. It's just so annoying that they don't give much of a toss about existing customers and their pricing.

I have renewed my contract as Openreach say my address/postcode is due to be FTTP by the end of 2026 and I cannot go down from 1gb to under 100mb. If it's done sooner, and before my current 18 months with VM is up (March 2026), I'll get FTTP installed, at a lowish speed, and use it as a failover.

That's a lot of questions!

I have the 360 box, it's not as slick as Sky Q however it's perfectly usable and I haven't had any stability issues. It supports recording, not sure about reminders. I have no idea what the USB port is for. You can watch live TV on your laptop/phone/iPad using the Virgin TV go app.

Can anyone confirm if Reminders are a thing on Virgin 360 box???

Back
Top Bottom