Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Not that they're available to me, but they charge £40 for 900mb, which is £3 more than VM are asking from me, for 1.1gb.
I realise it's a moot point, but your router - like your devices - is likely capped at 1Gb/s anyway unless it's a Hub5, if so, then at best you can have multiple devices sharing that 1.1Gb/s, but you're comparing fibre to DOCSIS or RFoG to pure IP based fibre, that's not a comparison VM can win at this stage, also you've overlooked that Hyperoptic - like many alt-nets - is a symmetrical connection, VM charge an extra £6 for that in the small number of places that's even an option.

Not that they're available to me, but they charge £40 for 900mb, which is £3 more than VM are asking from me, for 1.1gb.
Went from virgin to City Fibre almost 2 years ago now to their 900meg x 900meg and it is so much better than virgin in every way. Much better latency for gaming and everything just works. Best if all not having to deal with Virgin media customer services and the annual joke of pretending to leave so you could get a half decent deal. Virgin have always been rubbish at everything else, but their broadband used to save them, now, but now that's also outdated and 2nd rate. I see no reason to stay with them unless you have no FTTC

Last edited:
I found the web chat online is better, they answered within ten minutes and had my cancellation sorted, just don't let them try to renew with crappy offers or tell you about issues you'll get with your new ISP provider ( they tried this with me) . I was all done within twenty minutes, if you phone you can wait over a hour (has happened to me ) .

If my contract ends with VM on 25th January, can I phone up on say December 1st, and ask to cancel and end services on contract end date, or is that a bit early?
It is a minimum of 30/31 days notice, cannot remeber which..

You can call anytime and give as much notice as you wish. It is the same with any telecoms company.

I have VM as my backup broadband and I route some traffic over it. Stuff stopped working over the weekend and it took me a while to fathom out why. I run Adguard Home in a cloud VM, and the firewall is set up to only accept connections from my home IP addresses. After ~15 months with VM, my IPv4 address changed and I hadn't realised.

Can i ask what peoples opinions are on the standard issue Virgin fiber standard issue equipment please?

Finally to my joy i had a knock at the door that finally fibre is in my street :D

ive been a BT/plusnet user since i moved in 14 years ago and always bought my own routers as there supplied ones were not good enough signal wise in my house, i bought a ASUS RT-AX82U back in 2020 and got improvements.

They have also offered me 3 signal boosters in the house.

I went for the 550m package which is a huge boost from my 67meg currently.

Hope to hear peoples views and any tips welcomed.

Can i ask what peoples opinions are on the standard issue Virgin fiber standard issue equipment please?

Finally to my joy i had a knock at the door that finally fibre is in my street :D

ive been a BT/plusnet user since i moved in 14 years ago and always bought my own routers as there supplied ones were not good enough signal wise in my house, i bought a ASUS RT-AX82U back in 2020 and got improvements.

They have also offered me 3 signal boosters in the house.

I went for the 550m package which is a huge boost from my 67meg currently.

Hope to hear peoples views and any tips welcomed.

Can't really comment as always used my own router, what I would do though is give the ISP supplied equipment a try perhaps?, if its no good just put the hub in modem mode and use your own router.
I currently have the 550 package as well, superhub is in modem mode and I use my own Eero mesh pro 6 network.

My vm hub is a lot older which wasn't the best, no idea how good the newer supplied equipment is.

Last edited:
When I was with Virgin I had a SH3 but used it in modem mode with my own router, you''ll find a good third party router is superior to the Super Hub especially with WIFI.

Yes it will most likely be the hub5x which doesn't have modem mode even though I was told it would. It is ok but your own equipment will work better, I just turned the wifi off on it and use my own stuff and suffer double nat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom