Virgin Media Discussion Thread

I'm on VM Vivid 100MB and I'm unable to connect to a web server via FTP. The web hosts can't understand why. Similarly I can't log in to a remote work server. In both instances the connection times out.
I've tried pinging both servers from my PC and the packets fail in every case.
Are VM blocking this sort of traffic for me or why would this happen?

Hi guys, I work for VM so I can sign up new customers on mates rate. Anyone interested send me a PM, some forum members have already done this and it's still availible.

Maybe you can pass onto VM Business that I've dealt with three VM engineers this year that can't even change the LAN IP on the Superhub, not kidding. :D

And they have the cheek to charge £50 to install, please say they are not the same engineers that do the Meraki Firewall and charge for it lol

I'm on VM Vivid 100MB and I'm unable to connect to a web server via FTP. The web hosts can't understand why. Similarly I can't log in to a remote work server. In both instances the connection times out.
I've tried pinging both servers from my PC and the packets fail in every case.
Are VM blocking this sort of traffic for me or why would this happen?

Maybe Windows firewall is blocking FTP connections and RDP.

Your speed upgrade will be ready to take your connection from up to 152Mbps to up to 200Mbps. It's all thanks to DOCSIS® 3 - the magic in our cables.

Look out for it between September 2016 and November 2016.

spoke too soon

I was told November for my upgrade but strangely when i upgraded my package..........actually same package for less money..........i was upgraded immediately.

Have any of you guys had them install under your block paved driveways?

Slightly worried that they'll turn around and go we won't lift the bricks next week when they come do the site survey even though they've lifted the bricks in the cul de sac to fit the box at the end of our drive.

Spoken to a builder who'll happily take them up for Virgin or install a duct himself but not sure if he'll have time before my install date.

Random question of he day - you don't live in Conisbrough, do you?

3 gig of photos isn't much and it happened nearly instantaneously. Is that expected?

Saturating your upload bandwidth will nail your download bandwidth - at least this was the case historically. Something to do with their Docsis implementation? Dunno the finer points of it, and I don't know whether Google Drive saturates your upload bandwidth or not, but I definitely still see the same problem when I hit my upload bandwidth peak.

You also have to remember that VM are full of it, im on 150 and never go over 95, not even in a basic speed test.

I wouldn't quite go that far. I've had VM in three separate addresses over the last 15+ years, and always had the advertised speeds.

Saturating your upload bandwidth will nail your download bandwidth - at least this was the case historically. Something to do with their Docsis implementation? Dunno the finer points of it, and I don't know whether Google Drive saturates your upload bandwidth or not, but I definitely still see the same problem when I hit my upload bandwidth peak.

It's nothing to do with DOCSIS, it's to do with TCP/IP that sits on top of the DOCSIS network.

You need to send ACKs (acknowledgement packets) as part of TCP/IP. If your upload is saturated, you can't send ACKs fast enough, and this slows down your download. The other end is sending data, but is waiting for ACKs, so the data stream sent to you gets slower.

Random question of he day - you don't live in Conisbrough, do you?

Close, not far away in Rawmarsh.

Guy supposed to be coming in the morning for the presite visit , will see how that goes. I just hope they actually knock on the door and don't just look out from the van as I've had to take the day off work for it.

Close, not far away in Rawmarsh.

Guy supposed to be coming in the morning for the presite visit , will see how that goes. I just hope they actually knock on the door and don't just look out from the van as I've had to take the day off work for it.

I just moved out of Conisbrough as they were cabling it up for Virgin. Took long enough!

I'm slightly shocked, Virgin guy just been and said it won't be a problem, installers might not be happy but they'll take the bricks up and run the cable underneath. He's supposed to be adding notes on the job to forewarn them.

Will have to see what happens next Thursday now.

Did anyone get the free speed upgrade, I had a email last year I will get a free speed upgrade should have been in october, I waited till end of the year still nothing, then I forgor about it, i contacted them at end of jan and they told me I would get the free upgrade this year after my contract finishes.

also is anyone else having wifi and lag issues compared to normal adsl like sky

Did anyone get the free speed upgrade, I had a email last year I will get a free speed upgrade should have been in october, I waited till end of the year still nothing, then I forgor about it, i contacted them at end of jan and they told me I would get the free upgrade this year after my contract finishes.

also is anyone else having wifi and lag issues compared to normal adsl like sky

a lot of area's have had the free speed upgrade. To be honest I dont think there's many left that havent. You must be one of the unlucky ones. They are probably trying to upgrade the area before pushing it through.
Im getting a decent speed off peak but it does drop somewhat at peak times, before the speed upgrade it was 150mb at all times.

Back
Top Bottom