Virgin Media Discussion Thread

I had a question for those on virgin fiberoptic internet,

how reiable is your services during peak times? I am currently with TalkTalk ( just normal adsl) and virgin are the only provider that does fiberoptic in my area, BT opereach are being extreemly lazy in updating our area( been waiting 4 years) and I have given up. Also Talk Talk recently incrased my broadband costs by almost £10 stating that it was allowed in the terms of the contract as its not fixed price and is in the small print, which I find ridiculous. Another reason for leaving them is that during peak times my internet speed is about 2mb a sec and surfing the web is impossible. Talk Talk refuse to even ammend my monthly bill given that they dont provide the service they guaranteed me in my contract. I am not even sure what the word contract means in this day and age, as they can do whatever they wish with small print.

I have read back over a few pages here and quite a few seem to be having issues with internet speed during peak times, normally I would not care if i could get 10-15mb but 2mb scares me.

Any advice would be appreciated, as this kind of internet service in London is just not acceptable to me.

Suffered with it for a month when I joined and left but they finally fixed it last month so I rejoined, been fine every night since stuck at 210mbps.

When it works it's great but if your in an area that suffers and the fix date is months down the line then you'll get frustrated.

Talk Talk refuse to even ammend my monthly bill given that they dont provide the service they guaranteed me in my contract. I am not even sure what the word contract means in this day and age, as they can do whatever they wish with small print.

I thought they got around that by saying the speed was "upto" rather than a guaranteed speed...

This is ridiculous now - for a week running, I'm pretty much experiencing the same problems/issues with my 70Mbps BB which was stable a few weeks ago.

3pm / 4pm until 1am / 2am speed in Burnley Area Reference 20.
5897355323.png

This is ridiculous now - for a week running, I'm pretty much experiencing the same problems/issues with my 70Mbps BB which was stable a few weeks ago.

3pm / 4pm until 1am / 2am speed in Burnley Area Reference 20.
5897355323.png

Really sounds like congestion.

Have you contacted VM. Make a post on their forum and wait for a reply.

My normal internet speed 1 hour to 2 hours before the problem starts:

5899488778.png

It is nothing to do with my so called "powerlevels", to be really honest I think it is to do with my local area / local town developing over-utilisation and becoming oversubscribed.

My connection between 2:30am onwards, until 3pm / 4pm is great! After 3pm / 4pm it deteriorates really badly.

My normal internet speed 1 hour to 2 hours before the problem starts:

It is nothing to do with my so called "powerlevels", to be really honest I think it is to do with my local area / local town developing over-utilisation and becoming oversubscribed.

My connection between 2:30am onwards, until 3pm / 4pm is great! After 3pm / 4pm it deteriorates really badly.

I'm area 20, gosport,
Was on superfibre60, they downgraded me to 50 last month without permission..
I'm now on superfibre 70 and get the exact classic congestion pattern, you yourself sees
Going to get a ticket so i can get money off each month, just need to talk to a neighbour and see how his bt infinity setup manages peak times.

heres 5pm, at 7to 10pm it will drop to 3meg

Last edited:
I rang Virgin Media's retentions department in order to quickly get through to someone in order to talk/speak about the problems/issues I am facing, and she passed me onto the UK based English speaking call centre that deals with broadband and technical faults.

I explained my problems/issues to the guy in the broadband and technical faults department and he apparently said "I have exceeded my maximum limit of 600GB per month and so that is why I am experiencing these problems/issues" and then he later said that the area/town I live in has recently been diagnosed with over-utilisation (or in other words over-subscription). within the past week or so.

Please can someone explain to me what this nonsense is about a maximum of 600GB a month?

I thought one of VM's main policies and rules was "they offer truly unlimited fibre-optic broadband".

Quote from VM's 'so called' traffic management policy:

"Our new policy is simple:

We ONLY restrict UPLOAD SPEED
Your speed is only reduced while the upload threshold is exceeded. So the speed reduction could only last as little as an hour as long as you reduce your uploads"

Further EDIT:

I forgot to include and mention that there is no quoted or apparent fix date for the problems/issues with over-utilisation (or over-subscription in other words) in my area/town, he just said "I should phone/call back by the end of January if things don't improve". Looks like I am screwed and everyone around my area/town is screwed as well and based on what I have seen and heard from other VM users, since it gets worse as time progresses into the future because more and more people join VM, but don't get told about it.

I suppose VM love going over the maximum number of people they're allowed to provide to...

Last edited:
I rang Virgin Media's retentions department in order to quickly get through to someone in order to talk/speak about the problems/issues I am facing, and she passed me onto the UK based English speaking call centre that deals with broadband and technical faults.

I explained my problems/issues to the guy in the broadband and technical faults department and he apparently said "I have exceeded my maximum limit of 600GB per month and so that is why I am experiencing these problems/issues" and then he later said that the area/town I live in has recently been diagnosed with over-utilisation (or in other words over-subscription). within the past week or so.

Please can someone explain to me what this nonsense is about a maximum of 600GB a month?

I thought one of VM's main policies and rules was "they offer truly unlimited fibre-optic broadband".

Quote from VM's 'so called' traffic management policy:

"Our new policy is simple:

We ONLY restrict UPLOAD SPEED
Your speed is only reduced while the upload threshold is exceeded. So the speed reduction could only last as little as an hour as long as you reduce your uploads"

Further EDIT:

I forgot to include and mention that there is no quoted or apparent fix date for the problems/issues with over-utilisation (or over-subscription in other words) in my area/town, he just said "I should phone/call back by the end of January if things don't improve". Looks like I am screwed and everyone around my area/town is screwed as well and based on what I have seen and heard from other VM users, since it gets worse as time progresses into the future because more and more people join VM, but don't get told about it.

I suppose VM love going over the maximum number of people they're allowed to provide to...

The 600GB is just a stupid scripted response and total nonsense.

Least he told you the truth about your area being congested.

So no there's 2 things you can do.

1. Leave VM for FTTC
2. Stick it out and ask for money knocking off your monthly bill. You will get numerous "review dates" that will get pushed back for years until a fix is actually done.

Choice is yours!

The 600GB is just a stupid scripted response and total nonsense.

Least he told you the truth about your area being congested.

So no there's 2 things you can do.

1. Leave VM for FTTC
2. Stick it out and ask for money knocking off your monthly bill. You will get numerous "review dates" that will get pushed back for years until a fix is actually done.

Choice is yours!

Hmm, hard decision, I will probably see if things improve over the next few months, but if things don't improve I've had a discussion/talk with my dad about everything (since he's the one who mainly pays for the contract with VM) and he said me and him will seek and look for a better deal with BT Infinity or Sky FIbre or possibly some other Fibre network that does VDSL FTTC based internet.

Last edited:
Ive seen some virgin media offers online,
could i still get one of the deals if my installation has not been done ?

would I also be able to keep the discount they offered ? from the prices they gave the discount for me seam to be the same on all broadband packages

Also I cant get fiber in my area.

Last edited:
OMG! Look here it is again, my normal internet speed is back temporarily - UNTIL tomorrow at 3pm/4pm when I get substandard internet speeds as low as 3Mbps for so called "fibre optic" until 1am and then the loop starts over again...

Really enjoying this is *hint the sarcasm*...

5901061925.png

EDIT:

also to prove my line is stable, here is a pingtest (however it can't test my packet loss since java isn't installed on my PC).

156822608.png

Last edited:
Hmm, hard decision, I will probably see if things improve over the next few months, but if things don't improve I've had a discussion/talk with my dad about everything (since he's the one who mainly pays for the contract with VM) and he said me and him will seek and look for a better deal with BT Infinity or Sky FIbre or possibly some other Fibre network that does VDSL FTTC based internet.

If there is over-utilisation in your area then don't bother taking the wait and see approach. It more often than not takes ages to fix so instead of putting up with it for the next 9 or 12 months before ending up switching anyway you are better off just switching now. You can always go back to Virgin once your areas problems are sorted out in the future.

Back
Top Bottom