Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Are you connecting via the 2.5Gb port and wired to a machine also with a 2.5Gb NIC and connecting at that speed?

If not and you're just using a 1Gb NIC on the test device then 940 Mb/s is about the max you'll get due to overheads.

It's connected into the 2.5gb port but connected directly to my motherboard's ethernet port so guess it's capped at 1GB on that?

Associate
It's connected into the 2.5gb port but connected directly to my motherboard's ethernet port so guess it's capped at 1GB on that?

Your motherboard appears to have a RealTek 2.5Gb port and an Intel 1Gb so the RealTek may give your full line speed.

Intel NICs are generally more reliable and less troublesome but the RealTek one should give you your full line speed.

Soldato
Your motherboard appears to have a RealTek 2.5Gb port and an Intel 1Gb so the RealTek may give your full line speed.

Intel NICs are generally more reliable and less troublesome but the RealTek one should give you your full line speed.

I only see 1 ethernet port on the back near the usb ports unless the realtek one is somewhere else?

Associate
Man of Honour
Thats good news. I have a ThinkBroadband check running and doesn't look like I've been switched to 3.1 upload yet, so will keep an eye out and see what difference there is to latency on the graph after.

Associate
I have monitoring running on my VM service and and I've not seen any change in latency since the addition of a 3.1 upload channel and the additional 3.0 upload channel.

Man of Honour
I had downtime on Wednesday too for planned works, just checked hub4 status and indeed see the D3.1 upstream channel alongside the 5 3.0 ones. Will enable BQM again and see what the latency etc is like. Expecting new year time to see upload speeds exceed 100Mbps then maybe? :D I'm on Gigabit.

Whilst my mobo supports 2.5Gbps, I am running on a Gigabit LAN and get 950Mbps on Gig1 (modem mode, Asus AC68U router and 16 port Gigabit TP-Link switch),

I see no reason to spend extra money on a new switch and router that supports 2.5Gbps just to get 1150Mbps from the overprovisioned Gig1. 950 gets me a download speed of a sustained 117MB/s day or night, 1150 would get me 143MB/s - I'm not sure on what planet the £££ extra would actually be money well spent when I'm already at 117MB/s lol.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I had downtime on Wednesday too for planned works, just checked hub4 status and indeed see the D3.1 upstream channel alongside the 5 3.0 ones. Will enable BQM again and see what the latency etc is like. Expecting new year time to see upload speeds exceed 100Mbps then maybe? :D I'm on Gigabit.

Whilst my mobo supports 2.5Gbps, I am running on a Gigabit LAN and get 950Mbps on Gig1 (modem mode, Asus AC68U router and 16 port Gigabit TP-Link switch),

I see no reason to spend extra money on a new switch and router that supports 2.5Gbps just to get 1150Mbps from the overprovisioned Gig1. 950 gets me a download speed of a sustained 117MB/s day or night, 1150 would get me 143MB/s - I'm not sure on what planet the £££ extra would actually be money well spent when I'm already at 117MB/s lol.

Exactly. I get like 45MB/s or more download speed with my 350 line and everything downloads super quick. That why I also asked myself is paying the extra for the 1gig line worth it. For me the answer is no. Next time my contract comes to an end, I will try and drop the price and keep what I got, if not will try and get a faster line for the same money. But not paying more :)

Man of Honour

The whole idea of faster WAN is not so one device can benefit from it, it's so many devices can benefit from it. With 2 Gbps as an example you can have two devices simultaneously downloading at 1 Gbps.

Man of Honour
You'd need a 2Gbps WAN for two devices to download at 1Gbps each and VM do not have 2Gbps yet :p

Nevertheless, the concept is fine and all but only relevant if both those devices are also using 2.5Gbps network adapters, which is unlikely currently :p

I have Gig1 for heavy use as it's a big household, multiple devices/cameras etc streaming to cloud day and night, multiple PCs, STBs, consoles etc nad gaming. Only my main PC is the one that utilises the download bandwidth most often, but have yet to come into a situation where that bandwidth max has had to be shared at the same time as another heavy use machine/device. Obviously other folks mileage will vary, but still.

Man of Honour
You'd need a 2Gbps WAN for two devices to download at 1Gbps each and VM do not have 2Gbps yet :p
Hence I said as an example.

Nevertheless, the concept is fine and all but only relevant if both those devices are also using 2.5Gbps network adapters, which is unlikely currently :p

Not really, you only need 1 Gbps NICs to download at 1 Gbps funnily enough.

Man of Honour
Oh yeah, but you'd still need a 2.5Gbps router/switch setup though. The VM hub only has 1x 2.5Gbps port, so you'd still see a choking point on the LAN of 1Gbps bandwidth available.
Wut? No you wouldn’t. Two devices each plugged into a 1 Gbps port on the hub can both download at 1 Gbps if the hub has 2 Gbps WAN.

Man of Honour
That's true if you only have enough wired machines that go straight into the hub though yeah - No disagreement there. I thought the context of this was a big usage household, where you do have a switch/router to cover the extra machines/devices - In that scenario you would only have the one cable going from the hub to switch/router - So the switch/router would be the limiting point if it was only a Gigabit switch/router for those 2 machines (as per your example) wanting to download at 1Gbps each.

But yes, if it's solely on the hub only, then yeah sure. Many folks don't and won't use just the hub only though in such a high usage scenario as additonal network kit is required for that type of heavier use.

Back
Top Bottom