Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
If I cancel can my GF sign up for the 500mbit as a new customer she gets 50 odd quid cash back and £100 voucher, then she can use my O2 for Volt to put it back to gig1?

Looking at virgins forums or o2 one of them it says since April last year that o2 needs to only be registered at same address as the account holder but don't need to be in sale name

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Currently on bundle with M350 BB, but coming to end of fixed term... new offers from Virgin include M250 or M350 for £5 more per month... my gut feeling is that I won't tell the difference dropping to M250, so save the money... thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently on bundle with M350 BB, but coming to end of fixed term... new offers from Virgin include M250 or M350 for £5 more per month... my gut feeling is that I won't tell the difference dropping to M250, so save the money... thoughts?
Nah you probably won't feel the difference going to 250Mbps, unless you're downloading huge files on a day to day basis.
But you could probably use the good old tactic of telling them you're leaving so they offer you a better deal.

Soldato
Nice will do, the second box is it as messy as the main box that connects to the router? I hate all the coax cable mess.
Yeah you need another coax run to the 2nd TV box unfortunately.

If I cancel can my GF sign up for the 500mbit as a new customer she gets 50 odd quid cash back and £100 voucher, then she can use my O2 for Volt to put it back to gig1?

Looking at virgins forums or o2 one of them it says since April last year that o2 needs to only be registered at same address as the account holder but don't need to be in sale name
I read in the past the O2 and VM account names had to match. But on VMs website FAQ now it says if the account holder address is the same, then you get the Volt benefit. So yeah should be able to then get Gig1 after.

Last edited:
Permabanned

In this current climate every penny counts.

I moved from paying £34 a month + £8 sim only plan from Zen Internet (80/20) to M250 (250/25) for £17.99+ £12 O2 Sim.

IMO it’s more bandwidth for less cost. Was t in a contract with Zen (was 12 months) but I was on their service 5 years. They couldn’t offer anything else so had to move.

I only moved because of price and I explained to Zen while leaving that it’s been one of the best services I had and in the future I would move back to them if the price reduced and/or new services were in the area.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Nah you probably won't feel the difference going to 250Mbps, unless you're downloading huge files on a day to day basis.
But you could probably use the good old tactic of telling them you're leaving so they offer you a better deal.
I'm currently paying £47... TBH I'm surprised I got a new offer so close to my current price.

Does anyone think I might get a lower price if I actually cancel and wait? Last couple of times I've played this game of cancel and wait, it's not yielded much.

The deal offered right now is the Bigger Bundle (Maxit) TV, phone SIM with 6GB data and BB... £48 for M250 or £53 for M350.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
My virgin media contract comes to and end on Feb 7th, not sure I can get a better deal, it's going up to £67 a month from 28.

Got gig1 with o2 volt and all the TV channels bar sports. Struggling to find any better deals

The pricing is all over the place... I'm in Bigger Bundle M350 Oomph (6GB SIM) which is currently £47 and goes up to £96 on 2nd Feb... How does your Gig1 with Volt and all TV only go to £67 off contract?

Soldato
The pricing is all over the place... I'm in Bigger Bundle M350 Oomph (6GB SIM) which is currently £47 and goes up to £96 on 2nd Feb... How does your Gig1 with Volt and all TV only go to £67 off contract?

Well it was supposed to be £57 but they accidently added more discounts and I've only been paying £28 for it all

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Well it was supposed to be £57 but they accidently added more discounts and I've only been paying £28 for it all
When you say all the TV channels bar sports, does that mean you have Sky Movies? Are you only missing Sky Sport or also BT Sport?

We must have signed up around the same time, and I thought I got a really good NHS staff deal, but it sounds like you did even better!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Finally gave notice with Virgin after 12 years. moving to community fibre 920Mbit synchronous for £27 a month. The best Virgin could do when I canceled was £48, Though they have just rung and offered to match the £27. Still leaving though, 920Mbit upload will be fun.

Edit : some dodgy practices by Virgin when I gave notice. Telling me that no other provider could match their service and then telling me it was dangerous to allow other ISP engineers into my home!

Pretty terrible and desperate attempt by them to keep you as a customer really but not surprised, £27 is an awesome price for almost 1gig up and down though am tempted to leave VM also and try different services but will see if I get a better deal this summer.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Just had to register a total loss of service. Haven't even been with them for month n a bit.

No service back online after 2 hours.
Engineer booked.

meh.

Edit: Engineer cancelled, service now back online. Downtime 2 hours.

2 hours is pretty minor, had 4-5 downtimes in the last 3 months think its my personal record but all of them were logged by VM and fixed within half to 1 day at least so pretty quick to repair their faults.

My case is perhaps different since I am in a high utilization area so most of the street are on VM bb we have only just got Community fibre arrived now.

Permabanned
2 hours is pretty minor, had 4-5 downtimes in the last 3 months think its my personal record but all of them were logged by VM and fixed within half to 1 day at least so pretty quick to repair their faults.

My case is perhaps different since I am in a high utilization area so most of the street are on VM bb we have only just got Community fibre arrived now.

Our area is new and nobody is jumping on the VM bandwagon. As far as I know there’s only me on it up to now.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
If you don't really want to leave VM, is it foolhardy to cancel and call their bluff waiting for a better deal?

A real negotiator would say a person leaving and then subsequently coming back for a deal to stay has lost leverage. Do they always chase you if you cancel? Last time I cancelled Sky they didn't call back once.

Caporegime
Virgin’s retention policy is completely different to Sky’s. Although they’ll tell you anything over the phone or through live chat, the people at the top know they are now facing a much more competitive space in terms of FTTP. Coverage is rapidly increasing across the country month by month with some alt nets offering the first year or two of 1Gig symmetrical speeds for as low as £25 pm.

You may not have any other providers in your area who can offer similar speeds yet but the cancelling strategy is definitely the way to go with Virgin.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Sabnzbd never looked so sweet:p
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom