Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Associate
As much as I would like 2GB, I have switches to upgrade and that is costly, especially

Left Virgin a few years ago when FTTP was active in my area, never looked back.

Specifically, Aquiss has been rock solid, delivering what they said they would, ALL the time. Great ISP.
Cost?

I do feel virgin has high latency in games which is annoying!

Man of Honour
I do feel virgin has high latency in games which is annoying!
ShivFPS is an Apex Legends professional player and he uses VM including in competitive matches. I can't say I've noticed it myself in games but I am no pro.

True fibre is always going to be better but with modern tick rates of servers I don't think it makes as much of a difference as people make out once you are sub 20ms.

Soldato
30 days notice just given over web chat. Easy enough.

Same here. Disconnection date 20th March. It did take nearly 40 mins of actual chat though, which is just VM all over.

Me: I'd like to leave, can you give me a disconnection date and start my 30 day notice, please?
Them: I'm sorry to hear that. Let's see what we can do...
Me: I've already placed an order with an Openreach FTTP provider. I'd just like to leave, thank you though.
Them... Thirty minutes of delayed replies and asking if I still need sports channels...
Me: No, really - I want to leave. Thanks.

Got there in the end! Signed up with Sky and moved the VM/O2 mobile SIM to Smarty (half the price), and it's all sorted. Goodbye crap latency and daily outages (VM confirmed no fault at my end, it's "network issues and upgrades").

Soldato
Same here. Disconnection date 20th March. It did take nearly 40 mins of actual chat though, which is just VM all over.

Me: I'd like to leave, can you give me a disconnection date and start my 30 day notice, please?
Them: I'm sorry to hear that. Let's see what we can do...
Me: I've already placed an order with an Openreach FTTP provider. I'd just like to leave, thank you though.
Them... Thirty minutes of delayed replies and asking if I still need sports channels...
Me: No, really - I want to leave. Thanks.

Got there in the end! Signed up with Sky and moved the VM/O2 mobile SIM to Smarty (half the price), and it's all sorted. Goodbye crap latency and daily outages (VM confirmed no fault at my end, it's "network issues and upgrades").
Yeah half an hour for me too. I just let them follow their script and just stuck to cancellation message whenever they asked me.

Soldato
I put my notice in a few days ago.

Got a call from outbound retentions yesterday. The offers were bad. £34/month for 350Mb or £40/month for 500Mb (boosted to 500Mb and 1Gb via Volt). The Volt benefit depends on me continuing to pay O2 for a SIM that I don't use (I only bought it for the speed boost), so they effectively wanted £39/month and £45/month, which (particularly with the cheaper option) is not good value compared to the competition. My argument fell on deaf ears, with the chap insisting that £34/month is in line with what I will get elsewhere.

I've put an order in with Sky. £40/month for Sky Stream, Netflix & 500Mb broadband.

Soldato
I put my notice in a few days ago.

Got a call from outbound retentions yesterday. The offers were bad. £34/month for 350Mb or £40/month for 500Mb (boosted to 500Mb and 1Gb via Volt). The Volt benefit depends on me continuing to pay O2 for a SIM that I don't use (I only bought it for the speed boost), so they effectively wanted £39/month and £45/month, which (particularly with the cheaper option) is not good value compared to the competition. My argument fell on deaf ears, with the chap insisting that £34/month is in line with what I will get elsewhere.

I've put an order in with Sky. £40/month for Sky Stream, Netflix & 500Mb broadband.
That is the exact reason why I left.

Their retention offers were pitiful.

Only reason I will go back is broadband only for symmetrical broadband.

Soldato
You can write to them, which is what I'll be doing when the time comes.
Knowing the NCLC and how they operate, I would just ring. If anything goes wrong, everything is stacked against you short term. From start to finish cancelation via phone was under 10 minutes and email confirmation arrived shortly afterwards in my case. Yes, I am ex staff, and yes, I explained in polite terms why this wasn't going to be a save no matter what.

Soldato
As much as I would like 2GB, I have switches to upgrade and that is costly, especially

Left Virgin a few years ago when FTTP was active in my area, never looked back.

Specifically, Aquiss has been rock solid, delivering what they said they would, ALL the time. Great ISP.
Fttp has just become active here what latency do you get to UK, NL and DE servers as virgins peering is rubbish.

Soldato
My contract was up and i got onto chat today to see if they could do me a deal. I was paying £35.90 for 250Mbps and they said they could do that if i added the O2 sim. So i would get 350M volt package with a 02 sim for £28PM plus £5 for 02 Sim. Which wasnt bad but i told them that i had been offered 500M/900M from Sky/Voda/TT for 34/39. So they were able to do me a similar deal of 1gb with a new Superhub 5, a couple of wifi Pods, and a O2 sim for £44 a month. So its about £9 more for 4x the speed and an O2 Sim that i can use in my spare phone and cancel my £5 Lebara sim.

I am sure i could have gone the cancel route but dont think i could have got much better deal and less hassle than going to alternative provider.

Oh and i also checked and current contract renewals are not subject to price increase till april 25.

Associate
Getting abit off topic with the Asus stuff but since Virgin is implementing 2 Gbps I can see the need for people looking at routers with 2.5 Gbps ports so here's my thoughts.

At the start of last year I was looking at routers and wanted to try the RT-AX86U Pro which was also about £200. Weird problems started to occur like printer not staying connected and system log messages you had to scratch your head over. Then I went on the smallnetworkbuilder forums and there are so much horror stories. Now I know the people that complain are the vocal ones but this is more than you would normally see.

£200 may seem great but when you see that other companies like gl inet had a preorder price on the Flint 2 for about £80 (currently £140) you wonder how much profit Asus is actually making. Reminder that the RRP for this abomination space craft is £339...

Even Asus shoot themselves in their own foot. They have the TUF-AX6000 which is also dual 2.5 Gbps ports which can be had on offer for around £150. The only difference? The GT-AX6000 is Broadbcom and the TUF-AX6000 is MediaTek... which is actually better because then you atleast get more choice in what software you want to run, Asus stock or OpenWRT. With the GT-AX6000 it's Asus stock and good luck if you have problems.

For now I bought a 3 pack of Zyxel WSM20 for £60 total running OpenWRT and it's been great looking at the system log just mentioning when devices are getting another DHCP lease and not the cryptic nature of the Asus system log. Had no problems with printer connectivity like Asus.

When 2Gbps becomes more mainstream (and I can actually get that speed) I'll be looking at some OpenWRT solutions, quite possibly the Flint 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom