Virgin Media Speed Upgrades: FAQ

Caporegime
hmm, finally seem to be getting better speeds. just did that speed test getting just about 18mb, .75mb upload and 15ping. even though i have been able to get 20mb from newsgroups and other downloads getting that kind of speed on a single stream download from something like the speed test had been impossible, before today the highest speedtest only showed 8mb or so while i could get 20mb from newsgroups and multiple downloads. so maybe the connection is "settling" in. my bulldog 8mb connection in the first day only hit 3.5mb synced but over the next few days reconnected a lot up to around 7mb where it settled so meh. will see how it is later.

malc, is that a standard all day long day after day ping reslut to london? what kind of pings would you get to the closest CS servers and that kinda thing. speed seems to be improving by that low ping in speedtest isn't great, its almost impossible to get close on repeat. i think i got a 15ping aswell on one test a few days ago but in general i don't get anything close to that. but i think thats the only issue now which is good.

Last edited:
Associate
Well Wolverhampton and Birmingham were last to get the 10mb upgrades and it now looks as though we'll be last again! Funny though when talking to a techie on the phone when I wanted to leave for sky he told me they'd all be done by end of may!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have my new modum to fit now so hopefully that'll stop the reconnecting every hour issues I keep getting!

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
DreXeL said:
Still TBC here in Bristol :mad:

I'm a bit ****** off because we were among the first to get 10mb.

Swings and roundabouts then. Someone elses turn to be the first :p I'm still waiting too. Damn I wish they'd not even bothered mentioning the upgrade. I was fine with the £2 increase at the time. It's like they have given me something and then taken it back.

Associate
Tried&Tested said:

They were spot on when they were Blueyonder...now, i might leave. What's the point of having 20mb when you can use those speeds. :mad: :mad:

Cause 9 times out of 10, cable beats ADSL hands down unless you live 100 yards from the BT exchange! Even with a less than great service from Virgin, it still beats ADSL over the long run.

Regards

Vic

Soldato
Vicar said:
Cause 9 times out of 10, cable beats ADSL hands down unless you live 100 yards from the BT exchange! Even with a less than great service from Virgin, it still beats ADSL over the long run.

Regards

Vic

True. Very true. Is the 10meg shaped? might go back to that if it isn't.

Soldato
Tried&Tested said:
True. Very true. Is the 10meg shaped? might go back to that if it isn't.

Virgin do not use traffic shaping. They do, however, throttle bandwidth if you go over set limits. Only between 16:00 and midnight though. See here http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

It's a lot better than monthly download limits or traffic/port throttling, which is what most other ISP's do. Don't forget that before you get mad or run away to another ISP :p

Soldato
dbmzk1 said:
Virgin do not use traffic shaping. They do, however, throttle bandwidth if you go over set limits. Only between 16:00 and midnight though. See here http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

It's a lot better than monthly download limits or traffic/port throttling, which is what most other ISP's do. Don't forget that before you get mad or run away to another ISP :p

I don't wanna leave. :(

In that link... "We want to deliver the best possible value to all our customers – and that's exactly what we're doing."

Such a lie! My service and value for money was far far better with blueyonder, and much better before i went up to 20meg. :mad:

Soldato
Tried&Tested said:
I don't wanna leave. :(

In that link... "We want to deliver the best possible value to all our customers – and that's exactly what we're doing."

Such a lie! My service and value for money was far far better with blueyonder, and much better before i went up to 20meg. :mad:

I've never had Blueyonder, living in an NTL area, so I can't comment on their service, but NTL has always had near perfect service for me at least. I don't see how their re-branding will effect that, it's still the same company run by the same people only with a different name and an extra shareholder.

How is the service any worse now? How are they lying? They are stopping 5% of users from disrupting the service of the other 95%, there is nothing wrong with that and it is a much better solution than traffic shaping or monthly caps like most ADSL ISPs. I'm not saying it is ideal, but know which I'd prefer, what about you?

Also it's not like they are totally crippling your service. With 20mb it drops to 5mb for 4 hours, hardly the end of the world!

Last edited:
Soldato
I found that its now quicker to get through to customer serv changing from ntl to vm.

downside is vm messed up my bill about 3 times already, but they quickly fixed it.

the traffic shaping is annoying but while at full speed its super fast, i had such a bad experience with adsl i would never try it again.

Soldato
Just a quick update for those who say "quit whining and find another ISP." :p

Switched to Sky, couldn't be happier now. Cheaper, faster, cracking service with no silly policies. :)

Soldato
Im in a virgin media cabled area, what speeds can i expect on the 20mb service, im currently with Be unlimited 24mb adsl and the service is good but im only getting around 11-13 mb speeds.

Back
Top Bottom