Virgin Media Speed Upgrades: FAQ

Soldato
Phemo said:
Well, Virgin cable is totally seperate from your phone line, so you could even have both if you wanted. You're free to cancel your ADSL and move back to it at any time should you wish.[/QUOTE}

Sorry, I meant that if I cancel my ADSL subsciption, would I have to get a MAC code from Plusnet if I came back to ADSL, or would I have to have the line activated again?

Phemo said:
You're quite right about the router situation. You'll have to get a new cable router which simply has an ethernet port for it's WAN interface instead of an RJ11 ADSL port. You just connect the cable modem up to the cable router and then do your normal router configuration for wireless etc. People seem to like the Linksys WRT54GL because of its ability to flash with a custom firmware providing some very nice features at a great price.

Can I ask what those features are, or do they relate to things that are against the forum rules?

I always shied away from Linksys as it looks a bit Fisher Price to me... Always had Netgear kit, but I keep hearing of more and more people complaining of issues with it...

Is 802.11n worth bothering with?

Soldato
The custom firmwares are legitimate :) There's tons of features that they offer, you can check some examples out here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

To be honest most people probably aren't going to have a use for any of them, but you never know. You get more flexible quality of service options, the ability to up the power on your wireless, VLANs and so on. There are also other devices which can run DD-WRT - it's not just limited to certain Linksys routers.

As for 802.11n - depends what you do with your wireless really. If you only use it for Internet access then there's probably not much point. However if you do a lot of transferring between other PCs/whatever on the network then it may be worth investing in.

Man of Honour
vm_schedule_reading.jpg

.. not many days left to roll it out to the Reading(Winnersh) area..

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the input guys!

anyone heard owt about any possible upgrades to 2 and 4meg yet? since im back on 4meg (never got to try 20 didnt get to Reading in time :( ) and im sick of it after using 10 lol

Associate
also they have 15 left to do in June yet July only has 5 to do all month!
Why can't they do the Augst ones in July too? If they can do at least 15 in June surely they can add a few more to July's 5!

Soldato
Bighton is now 20mbit (while mine is)

and I am getting a fantastic 2mbit on sppedtest (i know not a great test) and with two threads on the BY ftp server I get about 700-800K

Nice I was getting 1.2mb on 10mbit :(

Is an awful time of day I supose but hardly the point.

I am getting a new modem soon (told a porky about what modem I have) as I keep having freezes on mine.

I also have a really low download power level -7.8 which is within the +5 -15 range for 64QAM

hmf

Soldato
Basingstoke would now appear to be done too. My modem was reporting 10mbit about 10 minutes ago but after a manual reboot, it got the 20mbit config file.

I do all of my downloading overnight but I thought I'd see what speeds I get now and I was quite surprised to see 2300KB/sec - not bad for peak hours.

Back
Top Bottom