Virgin Media Speed Upgrades: FAQ

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
drunkenmaster said:
malc, is that a standard all day long day after day ping reslut to london? what kind of pings would you get to the closest CS servers and that kinda thing.
Pretty standard day & night but i would never be affected by throttling as i Never download i just game.
My CS pings are single figures and accusations of rate hacking abound, think the last time i played it my ping was 6 :D One guy asked me if i lived inside the server.
On BF2 my main game my pings are below 20 on my favourite servers and go up to around 60 if playing stateside.

Sorry for late answer i've ben ill, again :mad:

Associate
Has Birmingham completed its upgrade? I noticed the site at http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html only says Birmingham (Perry Barr) now, does this mean all other areas have been done? If so I don't think my modem can handle it then as I checked my modem logs and it says "SW Upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file" on 04/06/07.

I have an SB4200 and the site says this is ok for 20mb, is that true?

Soldato
OP
waso_dude said:
anyone know if 2mb and 4mb customers will get free upgrades?

not just yet - but judging by ntl's past record 2/4mb will probably see an upgrade 3-6months after the last of the 20mb upgrades are done.

Soldato
OP
mr_x_plosion said:
Stupid VM, 10 mins passed midnight and im still capped down to 5mb :mad:

Looks like they gave some of your bandwidth to me :p my 4mbps connection has been running @ 5mbps~~ for the last hour.. slowing back down now. how odd. it genuinely has been @ 5meg.

i miss 10mb. kinda trailed it myself for a month but then finances meant some cut backs had to be made and the Internet was one of them :(

Soldato
It doesnt say they are charging for help support it just says the number is changing, they have always charged a quid a minute for the pc tech stuff that isnt covered by their tech staff (ie:firewall stuff etc and general windows problems). Or am i missing something here?

Soldato
allllec said:
Looks like they gave some of your bandwidth to me :p my 4mbps connection has been running @ 5mbps~~ for the last hour.. slowing back down now. how odd. it genuinely has been @ 5meg.

i miss 10mb. kinda trailed it myself for a month but then finances meant some cut backs had to be made and the Internet was one of them :(

mines the same at about midnight. 520kbs downloads :)

Soldato
Hi,

I'm currently on the Plusnet Premier tariff at £21.99 getting about 2MB due to being too far away from the exchange. I leave my server on over night and only download off-peak.

What are the implications of moving to Virgin Media 20MB? I found out yesterday that I can get this for £29 and don't have to have a phone line with them so I'm considering this instead of Sky Max.

I understand that Virgin provide a Cable modem, but what are my options with regards to wireless? I currently have a DG834PN, which IIRC I'll have to replace as ADSL Modem/routers won't work with a cable modem?

I noted that the £29 deal is for the first 12 months only, but what is the contract length?

Obviously I won't have to worry about getting a MAC code from Plusnet as I can just cancel it, but what would I have to do if I want to go back to ADSL in future?

Any help appreciated. :)

Soldato
Well, Virgin cable is totally seperate from your phone line, so you could even have both if you wanted. You're free to cancel your ADSL and move back to it at any time should you wish.

The contract period is 12 months.

You're quite right about the router situation. You'll have to get a new cable router which simply has an ethernet port for it's WAN interface instead of an RJ11 ADSL port. You just connect the cable modem up to the cable router and then do your normal router configuration for wireless etc. People seem to like the Linksys WRT54GL because of its ability to flash with a custom firmware providing some very nice features at a great price.

Another option would be to get a wired only router then use your DG834PN simply as a wireless access point. However, given how cheap cable routers are (as they don't have an integrated modem) with wireless integrated this option is probably not worth bothering with.

That's about it really :)

Back
Top Bottom