Virgin Media Speed Upgrades: FAQ

Man of Honour
Phemo said:
Basingstoke would now appear to be done too. My modem was reporting 10mbit about 10 minutes ago but after a manual reboot, it got the 20mbit config file.

I do all of my downloading overnight but I thought I'd see what speeds I get now and I was quite surprised to see 2300KB/sec - not bad for peak hours.
Woohoo, rebooted my modem and it now reports 20mbps too :)

What reliable speed test sites are there that I can try during the day? I want to try it out tomorrow, will RDP in from work to test it..

Soldato
Not all that sure if Manchester has gone live or is in the process of going live as we speak. However I just rebooted my Modem and off FTP I am easily getting 15-16Mb downstream and around 700K upstreaM

Associate
In Basildon, Essex area and just rebooted mobem and now getting up to 20mbps too.

Howver it does seems a bit eratic, where before my download would be a solid 1.2mb/sec they now vary quite a bit in speed between 500KB/Sec and 2mb/sec, so overall the increase....we llOK I spose

Diddy

Soldato
Diddyman said:
In Basildon, Essex area and just rebooted mobem and now getting up to 20mbps too.

Howver it does seems a bit eratic, where before my download would be a solid 1.2mb/sec they now vary quite a bit in speed between 500KB/Sec and 2mb/sec, so overall the increase....we llOK I spose

Diddy

Bizarrely enough mine was like that in the early hours of yesterday morning. It was fine the previous evening, just after I'd been upgraded, I was getting 2300KB/sec even in peak hours. When it hit midnight though and I kicked off some downloads, speeds were quite bizarre, all over the place - I was exactly the same as you - 1200KB/sec on 10mbit all the time but 20mbit was giving me anything from 2400KB/sec even as low as 500KB/sec.

However, tonight it's been great. Getting a solid 2400KB/sec.

Man of Honour
afraser2k said:
I usually use a local Virgin Media link and a file from FilePlanet or other demo site.

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/
Thanks for that :)

I can't get much speed at all, around 350kbps is the average at the moment. This is trying the MS MSDN servers, the Fedora mirrors and the VM link above :confused:

I was getting much better speeds at 10Mb, hopefully it will iron itself out.

Soldato
Cardiff seems to be done as well

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Soldato
riddlermarc said:
Phemo, are you getting decent speeds still? I'm not getting anything above 3-4Mbps at best, just wondering if it is a local problem?

I'm getting 1900KB/sec right now. Overnight my speeds are a bit weird - peaks at 2400KB/sec but does go down to 1600KB/sec sometimes. It seems to give me an average of 1800 to 2000KB/sec which isn't too shabby really. Speeds are definitely fluctuating more now and a few people I know in other areas who had 20mbit before me were fine but they're having large speed fluctuations now too. It seems the network is getting quite busy :)

Man of Honour
:( Testing right now and I'm getting 3mbps if I'm lucky.. something is definitely weird :/

I read on a different forum that sometimes your router can make a difference, think I will try plugging straight into the back of my modem without the router and see..

Back
Top Bottom