Virgin Media Upload Speed Upgrades

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
So this means the 50mb fibre service they provide will still not be throttled (Downloading) even after the upload update?

Sounds good to me... Why are people complaining?

Because 'File Sharing' traffic (specifically torrents and usenet) will be shaped, even on the 50mb service.

Soldato
Deep packet inspection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection

In this new post-9/11 world, governments think the internet is Serious Business. And as such decided that snooping on all their law abiding citizens was Top Priority.
They started throwing loads of money into making DPI feasible for mass deployment.

End result: DPI on everything you, your family, your pets and your neighbours do.

Associate
I'm in sutton coldfield however i dont have the new upload speeds...did some research and found I come under another area within sutton coldfield rather then sutton coldfield itself... I'm in sutton coldfield but come under another exchange within it.. amazing :p

Soldato
Deep packet inspection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection

In this new post-9/11 world, governments think the internet is Serious Business. And as such decided that snooping on all their law abiding citizens was Top Priority.
They started throwing loads of money into making DPI feasible for mass deployment.

End result: DPI on everything you, your family, your pets and your neighbours do.
Okay - as much as that went totally over my head - I have another... possibly stupid question :p...

What if you're using SSL Usenet? Wouldn't that be fine?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I had an engineer at my house yesterday, he said the upload speeds should come in quite quickly. So I'm expecting mine within the next month.

I was also speaking to him about the 100Mbit package, we both agreed that the 100Mbit package will come out at just above the 50Mbit prices while lowering some of the others to make it more attractive, rather than setting it MUCH higher than the other packages. I think they will most likely keep three packages.... 20 / 50 / 100, but that is just speculation, along with a low speed basic package (a few Mbit at most).

Caporegime
haha DPI the internet, hilarious, yea they have DPI that can inspect several gigabits of encrypted traffic in real time... Oh and they also went to the moon and back on jet fuel and batteries.

I'm also rather dubious that they can inspect encrypted traffic lol :/ specially in mass quantities!

You make it sound like they have some guy with a clipboard studying the packets like the Matrix or something.

It's all automated, the kit can do it otherwise they wouldn't be deploying the system.

Soldato
I had an engineer at my house yesterday, he said the upload speeds should come in quite quickly. So I'm expecting mine within the next month.

I was also speaking to him about the 100Mbit package, we both agreed that the 100Mbit package will come out at just above the 50Mbit prices while lowering some of the others to make it more attractive, rather than setting it MUCH higher than the other packages. I think they will most likely keep three packages.... 20 / 50 / 100, but that is just speculation, along with a low speed basic package (a few Mbit at most).
i wouldn't believe an virginmedia engineer because they are the last to know about things like this... they just guess or say what u want to hear...

Soldato
Not the content, no. But they can inspect the header, source and destination easily enough. That means they know customer x is carrying on 10 connections to news.giganews.com and that the header is requesting naughty.film.xvid - apparently. :o

Doesn't GIGANEWS come with free SSL vpn access? Surely that impacts on packet inspection?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Not the content, no. But they can inspect the header, source and destination easily enough. That means they know customer x is carrying on 10 connections to news.giganews.com and that the header is requesting naughty.film.xvid - apparently. :o

Source and destination, yes. Everything inside of the tunnel is encrypted. They won't see naughty.film.xvid etc.

Back
Top Bottom