Vodafone broadband any good?

Soldato
thanks for the further updates.

Have ordered with PlusNet in the end, £70 back through TCB as well. So far so good with the order process.

I was in the exact same position, I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the £20 a month Vodafone offer, but I looked again at the plusnet offer and once you've taken into account the £70 cash back it is the same price and then if you pay the line rental upfront it gets it down to about £18.40 a month which is pretty reasonable. 18 month contract is annoying but I'm happy at that price and it looks like I can use my BT smart hub which I've been happy with for the last year.

Maybe next time vodafone will get my money but BT have a habit off offering silly cashback plus pre-paid cards to new subscribers so I land up switching back!

Soldato
Still on VF and still 80/20. I had lost my old employee discount but when I had a look around couldn't justify moving for the sake of a few quid to a service that might or might not be up to the same standard. VM a big nono in my area - well over subscribed in my local

Associate
@BDEE

I've got a friend who's been waiting since Oct 2017 to get Vodafone to install his internet, and despite trying all available contact methods, he still isn't getting anywhere. Sounds like an absolute joke. Would you be able to trust me the info/method you used to escalate your case?

Associate
i have just told them to shove it after only 5 months..

speed is down to 1.5mb and they are now telling me its a cable link issue after weeks of asking, they
say it should be ok in another 3 weeks but the fix may not work.

i never got my free gift and had to settle for £75 credit on a service that is no good.

was with sky before and got around 75mb, max i ever got with voda was mid 50s.

Associate
I've just signed up to vf, i hope my transition is OK. have been with plusnet on a 2 year contract. basically was on a 18 month contract with plusnet originally (free line rental etc) and then the price shot up after contract so I got onto a new contract with plusnet with just a mere £5 discount per month.

I figured this time I'll switch over to a different network and then come back to plusnet if it's still around (plusnet merging with BT and EE from april).

Anyone know why the service can vary so much even though they're all running on the same hardware (bt openreach).

Associate
I've canceled my move to vodafone. Too many negative comments on here about disruption of service. I contacted Plusnet back and asked them if they could match VF offer and they did. I have a £32 a month deal with Plusnet with landline, internet and unlimited landline and 2000 mobile minutes.

I figure why rock the boat to a different ISP. I recall the improvement in service when I first moved to plusnet over the ISP before that. So I'm keeping this winning team going.

**I just realised what an amazing deal I got with PN.. They gave me such a big discount that it's actually cheaper than their new customer rate. PN give new customers £32 a month without any call plan. I basically got an additional £8 worth of unlimited anytime calls to landline and mobile for £32**

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest if you find a good provider in your area (and areas can differ depending on contention rates) then stick with them. Sometimes its a jump in the dark switching providers and it might be great but it might also be rubbish

Soldato
I've recently placed an order with Vodaphone and the comments on here are filling me with confidence. :rolleyes: It was so much cheaper than Sky though it's worth giving it a go. I also already have a good router so their crappy one shouldn't be an issue.

Caporegime
My experience with them has been just as good as it was with Plusnet and BT before that, but as I've said before I've not needed to use their customer service and my connection has been synced at full 80/20 since it went live, their router is indeed awful if you use a number of wireless devices though.

Associate
I've been on V/F fibre for about 8 months now and it's been stable since day one, I get about 75 down and 19 up via ethernet into my pc, but as has been said before router isn't great. I've turned WiFi side of it off and use bt whole home WiFi for wireless, but even with that set up absolute max WiFi speed I can achieve its 50meg down. Don't know if it's router restricting it or I need to adjust setting in router. Now I appreciate that 50 down isn't bad for wifi, but signal now all over house is rock solid thanks to mesh network

Soldato
After my reset on Vodafone my speeds started at the full 78mb on day one and slowly dropped. By the end of day 5 I was down to around 55mb and was ready to invoke "less than guaranteed speeds".
On day 6 of my connection the line went back to full speed and hasn't dropped once.
I disable the terrible WiFi on the router and instead use a Ubiquiti LR which covers the house and garden.

Soldato
Doesn't it settle down not up?

Before the DLM reset you were likely on the lower 3-6db noise margin Openreach rolled out at the start of last year, following the reset it initially goes back to 6db with G.INP disabled aswell. DLM should reintroduce these over the next 2-3 weeks and the sync speed should improve.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi stoofa

Can I ask what wireless speed you achieve on your set up?

Trying to find a way to test - as I use a mobile/tablet on wireless and I'm not really bothered about the speed, so long as I can browse what I need to :)
I ran a speedtest from my mobile yesterday evening and it indicated a 36/17 connection, where as my wired desktop (run just afterwards) was telling me my connection was 77/19. I got a similar speed test result from a laptop on wireless to.
They were from different locations in the house - the mobile being on the same floor as the Ubiquiti, the laptop being on the floor above.
To cold to do a test from the garden :)

Associate
Don't blame you re cold! :D thanks for that, I know the router has a quality of service settings built in, so was just curious really as to whether it was restricting WiFi so all the bandwidth wasn't taken up.

Back
Top Bottom