Volkswagen cheats emissions tests!

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28598467 said:
Which no member of the public can do.

Doesnt matter though, they dont have to.

Its very different to not disclosing emission control devices. The driver isnt considered a device. VW didnt disclose they had other systems operating to eseentially change between modes. Thats kinda the crux of it, all this talk on MPG/CO2 and NEDC is about as relevant as cupholder sizes not being big enough for your sport direct mug.

PS. Your captain obvious cape is in the post.

Soldato
I must admit I don't know much about diesel engined cars using urea tanks, but after reading a couple of articles it seems it's been not uncommon for the better part of a decade - do most new diesels sold in the UK have separate urea tanks that must be refilled? Does this go hand-in-hand with having a DPF?

Don
Could this fiasco be a catalyst in the movement towards mainstream electric cars?

One hopes so.

It needed a big push, and this may just be that push

One hopes not, given that in the UK at least we need to solve our electricity generation problems first (which will pretty much need to be nuclear plants - that won't be built quickly)

Don
I must admit I don't know much about diesel engined cars using urea tanks, but after reading a couple of articles it seems it's been not uncommon for the better part of a decade - do most new diesels sold in the UK have separate urea tanks that must be refilled? Does this go hand-in-hand with having a DPF?

Euro VI only as far as I know which is 2014 onwards.

Soldato
I believe Euro 5 (perhaps Euro 4, not sure) effectively required a DPF. Euro 6 effectively requires Adblue or similar for larger engines. For example the Vauxhall 1.6cdti does not have Adblue (except in the Zafira Tourer), but the 2.0cdti does (in all applications).

The US has stricter NOx requirements. Golfs from 2015 onwards had Adblue, but before that they didnt - even though other manufacturers did. Folk were wondering how they did it...now we know...

Man of Honour
I think the problem a lot of people are confusing tailpipe the legislation between emissions (the main ones except but CO2) and CO2.

Put in a very simple way, if you don't hit the NOx/HC/PN numbers, you can't sell the car - CO2 could be anything and you'd still be allowed to sell it - but the CO2/mpg could be completely rubbish and nobody would buy it. That's where the difficult trade comes - you reduce all your emissions but gain CO2 in many cases.

You would if you drove the same cycle....

It's never quite that simple though is it? (battery, tyres, weight, outside temperature, AC / etc - you'd have to have bought the poverty spec car to even get near most numbers.

Last edited:
Soldato
DPF's don't really stop the problem though do they? I.e. they hold on to the particles and then burn them off when a certain temp/conditions are met? Generally on the motor way when your taxing the engine and creating more heat. So still create lots of pollution regardless just pick the point when its spewed out rather than a constant stream. Well that’s how my Citroen worked anyway. (Although it was a terrible engine and this never really happened very well so in 2 years my car chewed through 3 injectors and 2 DPF’s… :D Still, it drove me to go all out and just buy a Subaru Impreza STi so it’s all good!)

Man of Honour
DPF's don't really stop the problem though do they? I.e. they hold on to the particles and then burn them off when a certain temp/conditions are met? Generally on the motor way when your taxing the engine and creating more heat. So still create lots of pollution regardless just pick the point when its spewed out rather than a constant stream. Well that’s how my Citroen worked anyway. (Although it was a terrible engine and this never really happened very well so in 2 years my car chewed through 3 injectors and 2 DPF’s… :D Still, it drove me to go all out and just buy a Subaru Impreza STi so it’s all good!)

In theory when DPF regenerates, you just get CO2 and water - which is probably the best thing to come out of the tailpipe!

Soldato
In theory when DPF regenerates, you just get CO2 and water - which is probably the best thing to come out of the tailpipe!

Ahh, i see. Like i said i doubt the Diesel in my C4 was the pinnacle of Diesel engines. :o:cool::p

I will say however that when the DPF gave up the amount of rubbish coming out the back of my car was horrific so these guys removing DPF's must make their cars look pretty obvious. (Again, I'm basing that on a terrible French diesel. lol)

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;28598467 said:
Which no member of the public can do.

Thing is we used to have cars which could be driven and achieve the test figures.

Ever since the bloody emmisions/CO2 thing came out, achieving the quoted mpg seems impossible.

We used to run golf diesels as company cars. Pretty much all 140 or 170 bhp versions. The employees would get 55 to 60 mpg.

Then we went all "green" and got 105 or 115bhp bluemotion diesels. Nobody could average the mpg we used to get with the more "polluting" 140/170 golfs.

In fact we had one which only got 47mpg.

Soldato
Thing is we used to have cars which could be driven and achieve the test figures.

Ever since the bloody emmisions/CO2 thing came out, achieving the quoted mpg seems impossible.

We used to run golf diesels as company cars. Pretty much all 140 or 170 bhp versions. The employees would get 55 to 60 mpg.

Then we went all "green" and got 105 or 115bhp bluemotion diesels. Nobody could average the mpg we used to get with the more "polluting" 140/170 golfs.

I'm quite glad I've got a Euro 3 PD130. Anything later was starting to get strangled.

Soldato

I've got the 140 minus DPF and am currently on 635 miles from this tank. I find it pretty frugal - especially around these roads!

I'm quite glad I've got a Euro 3 PD130. Anything later was starting to get strangled.

The 1.9 PD 115/130/150 (besides chocolate cam) were far better than their modern replacements.

Back
Top Bottom