War Thunder - Free PS4 WW2 Fighter Jet Game - Tips, Tricks, etc

Caporegime
OP
Back home, and I have updated the OP with everyone's ID's I found since my last post.

If anyone else wishes to play with us then feel free to share your ID.

I got a few PS4 games for christmas so I may not be on this as much but I still think it's gameplay is better than any other PS4 game atm so I will still be going on regularly when I feel the urge to mow some people down.

Associate
Spent most of this afternoon playing :) still a great game, my beaufighter x is an absolute beast now it's upgraded

I love the cannon on that makes me laugh when some idiot in a gladiator try's take you head on in them but get a fighter behind you your done for just can't shake them

Caporegime
OP
can you all please add everyone in the OP to your friends list, makes it easier to squad up, etc.

simple to do using the playstation app on your smartphone or tablet.

No problem, his my cousin and watched him go on rampage yesterday, good asset.

Right going to drop £20 on this, what should I spendceagles on

spend it on upgrading your crews through accelerated training, no point spending it on anything else tbh.

if you spend it on vehicle upgrades it's a waste as you would have achieved them anyway in a quick manner through just playing the game.

if you spend it on vehicles again you would have achieved them in a longer manner of time through just playing the game.

crews however take absolutely ages to gain XP, and the cost of upgrading them multiplies by a lot.

with upgraded crews your guns don't jam as quickly, you reload guns and bombs quicker, your gunners are far more effective, your pilot is a lot better at targeting enemies and their health is also increased, etc, etc.

crews are the most important thing in the game as well imo.

before i spent around £12 iirc on upgrading my crews, my wellington would only achieve 1 or 2 hits (6 gunners), now it will take down 1-2 planes within a couple of minutes automatically.

repair times also decrease dramatically, etc as well, if you play with auto repair turned off.

this is why when you pick a country it's pretty much the country your stuck with for the whole game unless you plan on spending £100 on eagles, because crews are really expensive and time consuming to upgrade.

Caporegime
OP
But dont the crew skills reset when you change pkane, fron hurricane to typhoon, welly to lancaster etc

nope.

but they do need to be trained for any plane they use, so say you give the welly to crew 1 and train them for it, none of the other crews are trained for the welly, so you will need to pay for them to be trained on it.

training just allows that crew to use that plane essentially, their skills are always the same on every plane regardless.

trust me accelerated training is the best way to spend eagles imo, i have 2 bomber classes where i have concentrated most of the eagles on training gunners and reload times and repair.

on all my fighter classes i have concentrated on the pilot, reload, maintenance and repair times.

it's made them last a lot longer in the air and made me increase how many kills/points i get substantially.

weapons take longer to jam, quicker reloading, better gunners and pilots, what is not to like?

Soldato
Why do you have 4 gunners in the Wellington? it only seats 4?

I'm not sure how many Eagles you get for £20 but I bought a plane pack from the store and that gives you a fully upgraded plane, 2 weeks premium and eagles for £16.99 but make sure you pick the plane which goes with your country.

Do as Psycho Sonny says and upgrade crews, No point at all using eaglss to research planes or parts. When you increase crew points in single seat planes you can also upgrade the aim and precision in the gunner tab, I upgraded the crew for the plane I bought to Expert and I now have 30 extra points for those 2 sliders so they must be used.

I just tried to grab some screenshots but it's too much hassle faffing about with twitter or sub account's to get them..

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Why do you have 4 gunners in the Wellington? it only seats 4?

I'm sure there's a gunner at the front and back and then 2 in the middle one for left side and the other for the right side.

so 4 gunners and then a pilot, so 5 guys in the plane total.

i'm not an expert on the plane but that's what it looks like whenever i have used it.

if you don't have decent gunners (upgraded crew) then your better off switching to auto pilot and switching to the gunner and firing yourself, my crew is now at a point i do better flying myself and doing evasive maneuvers and letting the gunners take down the planes.

the beaufighter is ridiculous with its 20mm cannons and high weapon maintenance, i had 4 noobs try to play chicken with me, which with other planes usually means i get a couple of hits before they crash into me before i can move out the way, but with the beaufighter they were dead as soon as i started firing.

i can't wait til i get more planes with bigger machine guns, you just tear the planes to shreds

Caporegime
OP
Yeah you only need to buy 4 gunners in the Welly, any more is a waste.

20mm cannons are monsters, rip's wings off like no one's business but I only have them on my typhoons and they just can't turn as fast as the yak or spitfires :(

iirc there are bigger bombers with more gunners in them

so i got 6 so i would have more than i currently need so i know i am covered for the future, i think there is a max of 10 so i imagine there must be a plane out there with 10 gunners on board.

2) The crew [02.00.00]

There are 4 tabs on that screen, pilot, gunners, ground service and qualification. It would take 35562 skill points for a crew to maximize all of the available skills.
I’ll list the skills, required number of skill points to maximize them, as well their description and any additional information if necessary.

a. Pilot (11472 crew skill points are required to max every skill in that tab) [02.01.00]

- Keen vision. Required number of crew points to maximize it is 1626. This skill affects the pilot’s visual range in the direction he is looking; i.e The maximum distance at which he can detect the enemy.

- Visibility. (1626 to max) This skill affects the visibility range around the aircraft.
Note: I am not sure what this actually does so if anyone can add information about this skill that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

- G-tolerance (5620 to max) Tolerance of negative and positive g-forces.
Note: This allows the pilot to make sharper / faster maneuvers without having his vision covered by a black or red veil due to g-forces.

- Stamina (1300 to max) This skill allows the crew to resist fatigue for a longer period of time; their accuracy and g-tolerance gradually decrease, depending on the time spent in the session and the number of g-forces sustained.

- Vitality (1300 to max) The health of the crew members as well as the speed of their recovery if they are wounded.
Note: I am not sure if this actually works as my plane goes down at the same time, my pilot gets wounded.

b. Gunners (13022 to max)[02.02.00]

None of the skills in that tab affects the player, they are all used for the ai gunners only so adding precision for example won’t make you shoot more accurately with your main guns or cannons.
They also won’t make you shoot more accurately when taking over the post of gunner yourself.

- Number of experienced gunners (6120 to max) The number of experienced gunners in the crew, if the crew has more gunners than experienced gunners then the crew doesn’t run at maximum performance.
Note: In game it seems to translate into removing a percentage to all the gunners skills for each turret missing an experienced gunners.
So if your plane has 5 turrets, each gunner represents 20% of the skill and If you only have the 1 default experienced gunner then you will lose 80% to any skill in the gunner's tree.
If your plane has 4 turrets, each gunners would represent 25%, if plane as 3 turrets then 33% etc..
Any crew slot start with 1 experienced gunner so if you have only 1 turret in addition to your main guns, you don’t need to add an additional experienced gunner.

- Fire accuracy (1626 to max) The accuracy of the aircraft gunners’ fire.

- Fire Precision (1626 to max) This skill reduce how scattered the gunners’ fire is.

- G-tolerance (1050 to max) Tolerance of negative and positive g-forces.

- Stamina (1300 to max) This skill allows the crew to resist fatigue for a longer period of time; their accuracy and g-tolerance gradually decrease, depending on the time spent in the session and the number of g-forces sustained.

- Vitality (1300 to max) The health of the crew members as well as the speed of their recovery if they are wounded.

c. Ground services (11068 to max)[02.03.00]

- Repair speed (2138 to max) The mechanic’s skill. The rate at which the aircraft is repaired in the hang and at the airfield.
note: This skill can save a lot of money on repair fee on planes that have short repair time and high cost but to make this skill useful, make sure to disable autorepair (on the lower left of the main hangar screen) or it will repair your plane as Soon™ as the battle end without taking advantage of the skill.
50 levels in repair speed skill with halve the time required to repair a plane, further qualification training will reduce it even more.

- Repair rank (2189 to max) The mechanic’s skill. The maximum rank of aircraft that the mechanic can repair.
Note: The plane will repair anyway in the hangar or at an airfield if your repair rank isn't as high as your plane but the repair speed skill won’t make the repair any faster until your repair rank is at least as high as your plane's rank.

- Reload speed (5441 to max) The armorer’s skill, the speed at which the weapons are reloaded in the air and at the airfield.
Note: This is one of the most important skill in arcade mode. This works on bombs as well as guns.
I’ll list the reload time of the German bomber he-111 h-6 (same reload time as the h-16 version)as an example.
With 0 level in reload speed skill the bombs reload time is 1:19 seconds
With 5 levels in reload speed skill the bombs reload time is 1:16 seconds
With 50 levels in reload speed skill the bombs reload time is 53 seconds
With 50 levels and expert qualification in reload speed skill the bombs reload time is 44 seconds.
With 50 levels and ace qualification in reload speed skill the bombs reload time is 39 seconds.

- Healing speed (1300 to max) The medic’s skill, the speed at which pilots and gunners who are wounded are healed.
Note: I’m not sure what the difference is between this skill and the vitality skills from the other tabs.

d. Qualification [02.04.00]

On this tab you can choose to upgrade your crew qualification for the currently assigned plane from basic to expert then to ace.
The Expert qualification rank adds 30 levels to keen vision, visibility, fire accuracy, fire precision, repair speed and reload speed. The ace rank adds an additional 20 levels to the same skills.
To upgrade from your crew’s basic qualification to expert qualification your crew needs 100 skill levels + 10x the plane’s rank. It only cost lions currency to upgrade to expert qualifications.
To upgrade from your crew’s expert qualification to ace qualification your crew needs 400 skill levels + 10x the plane’s rank. It will cost eagles to upgrade to ace qualifications on planes that are of tier 2 and higher.

e. Switching planes [02.05.00]

Each qualification is unique to the plane it was trained for, so if a crew was trained at expert level on the P-26A-33, they will only have the basic qualification level if a p-26A-34 M2 is affected to this same crew.
When switching planes the crew keeps all of their skills and qualifications, even though the qualification from the previous plane won’t have any effect on the new plane and switching back to a previously used aircraft the qualification for that aircraft will take effect again.
The skills on the other hand are common to every plane so a crew doesn’t have to train again after switching plane.
So if anyone wanted to, they could have 1 crew able to pilot every plane from the same country at ace level and switch back and forth between different planes with the same crew, every battle without having to respend anything.

Soldato
I noticed that too but I have stuck with 4 as they are very expensive, Only have the Lancaster left to get and I'm pretty sure that's only 4 gunners too.

I do wonder if you have more gunners than guns then if one gets knocked out as they always seem to be if the "spare" gunner takes his place. Do your rear guns still shoot after the gunner has been knocked out?

Caporegime
OP
I noticed that too but I have stuck with 4 as they are very expensive, Only have the Lancaster left to get and I'm pretty sure that's only 4 gunners too.

I do wonder if you have more gunners than guns then if one gets knocked out as they always seem to be if the "spare" gunner takes his place. Do your rear guns still shoot after the gunner has been knocked out?

nope once a gunner is unconscious i have never ever had him come back into a fight again, even after many minutes of flying around.

repair rank is also very expensive. i think that is the next one i will be upgrading if i buy more eagles.

i think there is a spitfire with 20mm cannons btw, so that will ideally be the ultimate fighter to unlock.

Soldato
That a shame, could have done with spare gunners to take spare positions.

My spitfire has 20mm cannons but they run out far too fast and so does the Blenheim but that just a flying bullet magnet. I really need to get them researched but not until I get my lancaster :)

Back
Top Bottom