War Thunder - Free PS4 WW2 Fighter Jet Game - Tips, Tricks, etc

Soldato
It's definitely got a lot harder now that folk are in more powerful planes. Finding more high level Typhoons/Spitfires and also the BF109s and Yaks are ones to watch out for!

Edit: "More aerial kills were made with the Bf 109 than any other aircraft of World War II"

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Damn I suppose I just need to level up my planes, I only have one tier 3 and its a beaufighter so not ideal for dogfighting quick nimble beasts.

Hopefully when I get more level 3's it evens out, game is a lot harder now before I was like tom cruise in top gun

Soldato
Damn I suppose I just need to level up my planes, I only have one tier 3 and its a beaufighter so not ideal for dogfighting quick nimble beasts.

Hopefully when I get more level 3's it evens out, game is a lot harder now before I was like tom cruise in top gun

I'm also finding players are working together more, it's now fairly common (in my experience the last few days) for 2 to 5 players to gang up on one target in the congested aerial battles areas.

Beaufighter is great for zeroing in on one target, loadsa damage in a quick burst and hopefully take out then get your rear end outta there before a fighter gets behind you.

Need to try and get Spitfire/Typhoon tier 3's to compete at present, I'm also finding players are more aware of bombers. I was having fun destroying bases at 7000m+ in my Welly and had fighters taking the time to come up and try to spoil my fun! Before you could guarantee that above 6000m they wouldn't bother :/

Edit: Also, CrapFarm is a member here right? Keep seeing him in games, buggers killed me a few times too! Join the squadron

Caporegime
OP
I just had a really successful session with a beaufighter earlier, but if someone does get on your tail your pretty much doomed, i chose my targets extra carefully and mainly kept high up and went for planes who were on their own and i lined up for the perfect striker before approaching, took every single one of them out in the first pass.

i also have started to get up high and just target wellingtons and other bombers, sometimes i get quite a few in other games sometimes nobody uses bombers so i have to resort to going low.

Soldato
i also have started to get up high and just target wellingtons and other bombers, sometimes i get quite a few in other games sometimes nobody uses bombers so i have to resort to going low.

Yeah, some games no bombers at all. I have noticed recently a rise in games where there are a large number of bombers. In the PC version they call them troll squads as they all just jump in bombers and try and end the game quickly by bombing out the bases in a minute or two.

Edit: Pleased to see we're the best performing small squadron in the first page. With only 10 members we're out killing squadrons with 80+ members.

Soldato
Had some cracking games yesterday, spotted there was a bomber squad incoming so hung about 4000m above our bases. Luckily about 3 others also spotted it so we were able to take out the 6-7 bombers they sent over in short order :)

Something extremely fun about being on the tail of a bomber with a couple of other planes, dodging about to make sure you don't crash into each other!

Soldato
3 wellies with gunners and 4000 bombs can ruin anyones day, noticed people are learning to defend bases now

Yup, but equally a typhoon/spitfire on a bombers tail will ruin their day! :D

I've started just launching straight into my Tier 3 phoon and climbing to 4000/5000m and hanging about the bases then taking out the bombers as they come over. If they dive bomb you can drop down on top of them, if they are up at 6000m+ it's easy enough to climb up behind them. Cannons on the phoon make short work of bombers :D It's also fairly easy to dodge the gunners fire.

Soldato
How do you guys get to play together then? Was on for a little bit yesterday but could see no way to join you Widdle.

Aye I saw you were on, getting squad setup can be a bit of a pain. Basically need to invite to a party through PSN so you know someone wants to play with you, then in game you go to Friends list (icon up the top of the screen) and invite to Squad. Then when the squad leader launches you all go into the same game.

Associate
Would normally get two bomb runs in minimum(one 4K bomb), sometimes 10+, each bomb run while i am premium member is 200RP, can be very sweet.

Lot of pilots are numb nuts when it comes to bombers, shot planes down many times when they attack, its the rammers i hate, they dont have the skill to go for the wings so they just crash into me, really gets my goat

Caporegime
OP
So many people playing this who don't have a clue what to do, it can be so frustrating.

Playing domination and I single handedly won the game as I was the only one who knew how to capture an airfield.

Playing ground strike and again I single handedly win the game by destroying 3 mini bases with absolutely nobody on the opposing team even coming within 5km of me.

The wellington with the 4000lb bomb is lethal it only takes 3 strikes to destroy a base, whereas 10 bombs take 4.5 strikes usually so it's a lot quicker and easier to kill mini bases with.

What i'm wondering though is maybe when I get the option of going for 18 bombs that theoretically could be the better option, with 18 bombs being more effective at killing tanks and bases.

Associate
If going for columns of enemy on some maps they are tight together and I have had a 8 kills with one 4k bomb, however for enemy hunting rather than base a good spread of 9 * 500lb bombs will get more kills on average

Caporegime
OP
Think I'm going to ditch the British and start from scratch on the Russians they are the best for arcade battles it seems.

The development team is also Russian surprise surprise

Associate
Right now the russians rock, but like all these games things will be patched changed and updated. what rocks today MAY suck tomorrow.

I haven't got enough time to devote to have a full spread of countries, so sucky or not I'm sticking to the RAF :)

Back
Top Bottom