Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2

I think it's probably just the fact we are used to getting big sales/cheap keys on the side these days. I must admit I very rarely pay more than £30 for a new game, I've grown happier to wait for most things. I seem to remember my brother spending about £70 on Street fighter 2 back in the day, that was considered a decent deal as well given it ate your money in the arcades, probably talking double that these days with inflation.

Anyway, I've seen enough now to know it's pretty much met my expectations, looking forward to Monday to give it a blast.

When my parents moved house just before the pandemic, I cleared out some boxes of old games from their loft. Boxed copies of early '90s PC titles like Gunship 2000, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and X-Wing had £45 and £50 price stickers on them. A few other games that we'd consider AA these days had £35 and £40 stickers. I'd forgotten how expensive games used to be.

I think we got used to very low prices in the '00s and '10s, enabled by the large growth in the audience for games. That growth's stalled now.

Yeah I rarely buy games on release date as there always not in a finished state and I don't really mean bugs. It's like dlc and patches that add stuff to the game.
A good example is pathfinder 2 I bought it about 3 weeks ago with all the season passes for £31 and it's a finished title.

Edit: I am looking forward to space marine 2 as I'm a big fan of Warhammer, but I know I'll be one of these players that finishes the campaign in ,8-10 hours even on a harder difficulty, and I don't have any interest in the MP.

Last edited:
What are you guys playing this with, mouse/keyboard or controller. I played with both last night, I can’t quite get used to the middle mouse for gun ads/zoom etc. I’ve mapped block, grenade etc to mouse buttons but wondering if I’m missing an obvious setup for m&k.

shopto still hasn't given me my key.

I'm pretty sure I won't get it until next week as they're having a technical issue. Which means I'm completely missing out on early access :(

Never buying from them again

Watch a bit of Asmongold playing, actually seems pretty good.. might end up getting as a distraction!

Might actually give the original a blast if I get time.

shopto still hasn't given me my key.

I'm pretty sure I won't get it until next week as they're having a technical issue. Which means I'm completely missing out on early access :(

Never buying from them again
i phoned them yesterday morning and spoke to someone i checked again at 5pm last night on the digital keys section and i received 2 keys one for base game other for season pass. .

Might actually give the original a blast if I get time.
I’d always meant to buy the original when it was first released but never got around to it, so about a month or so ago I did get it and play through the game, GFX are a little dated as you’d expect but still functional and the game itself was fun if not a little simplistic by modern standards. So can highly recommend it.

i phoned them yesterday morning and spoke to someone i checked again at 5pm last night on the digital keys section and i received 2 keys one for base game other for season pass. .
still nothing for me. There’s apparently a fault with their supplier. They told me I can request a refund but they’re closed all weekend so nothing would be processed until Monday.

So I guess I just don’t get early access

Last edited:
Hmm, gave this a go for the first time this evening and not really feeling it. Melee combat feels slow, clunky and unresponsive. Don't really like the armour regen mechanic either. The visuals are on point, but overall I think the original Space Marine game plays better ... in that one you at least feel like a juggernaut.
Like some, getting high-ish CPU temps ( ~high 70's / low 80's ) and have had a couple of soft crashes on exiting the game.

Reminds me of Helldivers 2 a little bit
Yes, but HD2 does a much better job. If you strip away the Warhammer aesthetic, there's not much of a game here ; it's lacking in content, AI is Star Wars Outlaws levels of bad and there are significant balance issues playing solo vs co-op. This game need at least another 6 months in the oven to address it's many issues. There will be many WH40K fans blinded by loyalty that will defend it to the hilt, but in time this has a good chance of slumping to "mixed" review status on Steam.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure, on the harder difficulties, the AI ally bots are absolutely hopeless, its SO much easier with friends
They are utterly useless on any difficulty. Needs fixed. At the moment this is only worth playing co-op ... and even then there are issues with servers etc.

Back
Top Bottom