Just bought loads of books off black library:
UltraMarines Omnibus Book One
UltraMarines Omnibus Book Two
Ravenor The Omnibus
Eisenhorn The Omnibus
Gaunts Ghost The Founding
Gaunts Ghost The Lost
Gaunts Ghost The Saint

Thats some serious amount of reading for me, and im currently reading A Song Of Fire And Ice Series. So i probably wont get to start these books this year. Not only that but i want to carry on with the Horus Heresy series once i finish A Song Of Fire And Ice series.

Well I've just finished reading Fear To Tread.

Fantastic book, really paints a picture of pre heresy Blood Angels. questions are answered, and there a new twist, which I'm sure you'll be wanting to to see where it could lead.

It may well be in my top 5 HH novels. :)

Probably mentioned already, but I would recommend the Ciaphas Cain books. Fairly simple and enjoyable reading - which suits me perfectly.

I have had people compare these to Blackadder - JUST NO. I like the books a lot, but they are still along way from being of the same quality. They are clearly designed to be similar but that doesn't mean to say they are comparable.

I'm a third of the way into fear to tread and I must say, its one of the best books in the series for quite a while. I think Jame Swallow could be my favourite black library author.

Reserve your judgement until he writes more than 1 books. Dan Abnett is consistently awesome, that's the benchmark.

Reserve your judgement until he writes more than 1 books. Dan Abnett is consistently awesome, that's the benchmark.

I thoroughly enjoyed Nemesis and Flight of the Eisenstein too. All I have read of Abnett are the HH books he's written. Which to be fair were all very good other than Prospero Burns. I thought that had so much promise and I don't think it delivered

finished fear to tread now.

great story tbh, still small bits and bobs i dont like about james swallow's writing but he seems to be doing better in the horus heresy line than usual, maybe because the other writers have lots of other projects as well but this and nemesis have been above par and he didnt massacre it like i was afraid he would.

bit of a plot query tho..

near the end, how did a human with a knife manage to kill a librarian who was supposed to have been watched over by a sanguinius guard who was blocking the only exit to the room?

He's already written 3 Horus Heresy ones :p (the other 2 were fairly average though) and he also wrote the Blood Angels omnibus which is apparently pretty average.

Ahhh sorry my bad, I didn't check...

Nemesis and Flight of the Eisenstein were definitely "ok" books, not bad but nothing special at all.

Just read on the Black Library website that another limited edition Horus Heresy novel is coming out.

Brotherhood Of The Storm will be available to buy for one week only. It's the first book of the series to focus on the Kahn.

I'm going to buy it, however I dont like the way it's overpriced as usuall.

Ahhh sorry my bad, I didn't check...

Nemesis and Flight of the Eisenstein were definitely "ok" books, not bad but nothing special at all.

While i have not read Nemesis I thought Flight of the Eisenstein was a great book. One of my favorite in the series. Not sure what everyone else thinks but i found Decent of angels a real chore

While i have not read Nemesis I thought Flight of the Eisenstein was a great book. One of my favorite in the series. Not sure what everyone else thinks but i found Decent of angels a real chore

The two Dark Angels books, and the Fulgrim book, were shockingly bad; I didn't finish any of them and for me not to finish a book about a universe I love is a definite sign that something is very, very wrong. The Angels books were appalling in their prose, characters were completely flat to the point where the Primarch read the same as the main protagonist, and the story itself was so yawnsome that I was pretty damn peed off while reading it.

Fulgrim was equally bad but in a different way, none of the writing convinced me I was reading about a Primarch, and I think that is the difference with a writer like Dan Abnett who leaves you in zero doubt what you are reading about, and is a master of clearly portraying the different strengths and weaknesses of the different classes and races in the universe; his ability to convey clear levels of scale in every department and portray real nuances of character is amazing, and it's clear from his writing that his conceptual thinking is almost flawless. Eisenhorn and Ravenor have some of the most intelligent and articulate pieces of writing i've ever read in these kind of novels, and only a genius can actually convince you that you are reading about a genius (Molotch and Culzean).

It's scary how much I am reading 40k stuff at the moment. :eek::D

Last edited:
The two Dark Angel books and the Battle for the Abyss have been the worst in the series. I don't even remember what happened in the DA novels. Won't read them again.

Loved Fulgrim though. The "downfall of a Legion" type of story seems the most interesting.

I have to agree the Dark Angels novels were the biggest load of guff I have ever had te displeasure to read in my life. Contradictory, nonsensical, poor writing and that's just me getting started on them :p

I loved Fulgrim though, one of the better ones IMO.

I don't understand the Abnett love I must admit though. I used to like him and I still admire his descriptive abilities but every single book he writes is the 1 vs 1000 trite when they battle against the odds and still win. Really tired of it now. Earlier Ghosts stuff was great by him but the series is now turgid, at best. I hope he doesn't ruin Eisen/Ravenor now :(

Got these last week:

lotsofbooks.jpg

Gonna make a start on them after i finished reading "A Song Of Fire And Ice Series" and "Horus Heresy Series" so its gonna be a while.

Back
Top Bottom