Warhammer 40k book recommendations

What a ******* rip! :p

If it was really quality writing I would possibly pay but to be honest they are average, if interesting books, and not worth£20 a pop. I will just wait, plus I think the collection of paperbacks look quite nice.

Also, anyone think that story sounds a little weak? Not really interested in the traitor Primarchs as their ultimate fate is so obvious. The loyalist legions should be more interesting now (I did find the traitors more interesting pre rebellion)

Well true I know :p

I know the fate of all I suppose and find the loyalist a more interesting arc, I would have liked to have seen more of Curze/Perturabo/Mort pre Hersey as now they will clearly be evil having betrayed the emperor so it kind of limits their actions. No ambiguity just kill.

For someone fresh into though I suppose all will be interesting to you.

Out of interest how do you find the quality of the series? Not the content but the actually quality of the books they are producing.

Yeah I'm surprised each primarch/legion didn't get a book earlier on, we know so little about the traitor legions pre heresy.

They're nice quality, I've got Aurelian and it's definitely a nice package. Difficult to justify unless you're a collector though.

Sorry I meant quality as in quality of the writing :p

Yeah I'm a but miffed they didn't flesh out the back story's more. Curze/Pert/Angron/Mort hell even Russ has had little coverage and nothing on Khan/Vulkan is sad panda :(

They MUST be gearing up to do something with White Scars and Vulkan sooner or later. I have the limited edition Brotherhood of the Storm on order so maybe that will set the scene for something more grand. Who knows.

I'm finding the new stuff on Curze very interesting indeed, I though I wouldn't be that bothered about him, but the way he was written about has got me interested.

As for the fate of the Primarchs, well they seem to have been breaking enough rules so far so anything is possible. I'd imagine a few shocks are in order along the way, specially as some fate are very open ended.

Concerning the quality, well I grew up playing 40k in the mid to late 90s, and was fascinated by the universe it is based in, having the GW world headquarters as my local store helped :D. I remember wishing they would write about the HH, as I was inspired when GW did a diorama for a games day to do with the siege of the palace. So all in all, I'm just enjoying having the chance to finally read about it, and escape reality for a while! I, not overly picky about the quality, I'm just enjoying them for what they are.

They MUST be gearing up to do something with White Scars and Vulkan sooner or later. I have the limited edition Brotherhood of the Storm on order so maybe that will set the scene for something more grand. Who knows.

I'm finding the new stuff on Curze very interesting indeed, I though I wouldn't be that bothered about him, but the way he was written about has got me interested.

As for the fate of the Primarchs, well they seem to have been breaking enough rules so far so anything is possible. I'd imagine a few shocks are in order along the way, specially as some fate are very open ended.

Concerning the quality, well I grew up playing 40k in the mid to late 90s, and was fascinated by the universe it is based in, having the GW world headquarters as my local store helped :D. I remember wishing they would write about the HH, as I was inspired when GW did a diorama for a games day to do with the siege of the palace. So all in all, I'm just enjoying having the chance to finally read about it, and escape reality for a while! I, not overly picky about the quality, I'm just enjoying them for what they are.

Not overly picky about the quality, and gladly paying through the nose for special editions. That's why GW continue to churn out some highly average, highly overpriced stuff I guess. Sigh.

Not overly picky about the quality, and gladly paying through the nose for special editions. That's why GW continue to churn out some highly average, highly overpriced stuff I guess. Sigh.

Thing is, the paper backs themselves aren't over priced, and I don't even buy them from black library. They're even cheaper from other places.

I get the limited eds as a treat, as they're part of the collection. I'm going to try my hardest not to pay £20 for a hardback HH novel however.

I'm glad they are telling the story but I just find it a shame that the quality is average/poor. I supposed their hands are tied in regards to the quality they can attract but still :(

I don't know I will read the series as I want to know the story but I find myself becoming more and more ambivalent with it all as time goes by and the quality continues to be poor.

I will read on though! :p

I'm glad they are telling the story but I just find it a shame that the quality is average/poor. I supposed their hands are tied in regards to the quality they can attract but still :(

I don't know I will read the series as I want to know the story but I find myself becoming more and more ambivalent with it all as time goes by and the quality continues to be poor.

I will read on though! :p
Personally I think the quality in general isnt poor, in fact I'd say the majority of the Horus heresy has been a good read overall, with at least a quarter of the series being standout excellent books. Theres only 3 or 4 real stinkers that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd agree there have been some fantastic books. But personally I have found those which arent excellent either average or poor.

I really enjoyed the first 3, Fulgrim and Legion. Apart from that I have perservered rather than enjoyed the rest. The Dark Angels books and Outcast Dead were blinking painful and Einstein, Assassain book and most compendiums are little better.

To be fair I'll admit I'm being a bit curmudgeonous with the series as it doesn't meet up to the insane standards I wanted for it, I find it wore because the first 3 books were so full of promise. I'll keep reading, enjoy them for what they are and continue to wish death on GW for putting £'s over quality! :D

I just re-read Galaxy in Flames whilst waiting for Shadows of Treachery to turn up. The last third of the book was simply superb.
Any chances of Tarvitz and/or Loken surviving? No? Just wishful thinking on my part I guess :(

What did annoy me though was I thought the battle on Istvaan V was at the end covered in this book as well :o, I guess that's in Fulgrim

A friend recomended the Horus series , thought Horus Rising was interesting but was going to give up after false Gods as i just couldnt get into it.
Glad i persevered and read galaxy in Flames as that was superb , probably because of the epic battle.
Do the other books have similar battles as if so i will go out and order a few more.

I just re-read Galaxy in Flames whilst waiting for Shadows of Treachery to turn up. The last third of the book was simply superb.
Any chances of Tarvitz and/or Loken surviving? No? Just wishful thinking on my part I guess :(

What did annoy me though was I thought the battle on Istvaan V was at the end covered in this book as well :o, I guess that's in Fulgrim

Loken is alive. He is in te ebooks working with Garro now, I only just found out myself when a friend mentioned it because I hate ebooks :p

A friend recomended the Horus series , thought Horus Rising was interesting but was going to give up after false Gods as i just couldnt get into it.
Glad i persevered and read galaxy in Flames as that was superb , probably because of the epic battle.
Do the other books have similar battles as if so i will go out and order a few more.

There are other big battles but, as of yet, there have been no other huge marine v marine battles. Just smaller ones, actually Know No Fear has big marine battles but I didn't find it as epic as galaxy.

Last edited:
Loken is alive. He is in te ebooks working with Garro now, I only just found out myself when a friend mentioned it because I hate ebooks :p

:D:D I literally raised my arms up in celebration when I read that lol. Only in the ebooks? I didn't know there were exclusive ebooks in this series, only audio books? Either way, time to get a kindle :p

Back
Top Bottom