Warhammer Total War Confirmed

Caporegime
They said the 3 games will combine into one big map. Where have they said they changed their minds?

It was on some Youtube video where some guy was discussing it (I'll see if I can find it) but now I do some more research it seems it was planned initially... https://steamcommunity.com/app/364360/discussions/0/142260718949893845/?ctp=2

Hmm, wonder if the initial plan holds or if they have now decided it's too tricky to implement. :confused:

EDIT - I really think the fact we even have this game at all is nothing less than ******* awesome... after Dark Omen all those years back I never dreamed we would get a full simulation of Warhammer done by the biggest developers of the genre and in such loving detail. Yes, the DLC etc is annoying and I will try and get it in sale when I can, but lets face it, this is every Warhammer fans nerdy wet dream come true and if you factor in the mods we will probably be playing it for years which makes £100-£150 seem like a reasonable investment.

If only Warhammer 40k could be done in the same simulative way (ie: not DOW III), or even turn-based, then I would be a very happy man.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope 40k is just a matter of time, that would be the game to end all games for me!

Unfortunately I think it's pretty far away as the Warhammer games are split into 3 installments and with the historical series I assume they will be moving forward in the timeline and probably won't want to do 40k before they do a modern warfare version of the main series?

Associate
The conflict scope of 40k really doesn’t lend itself well to a total war game, how often would more than 2 or 3 factions fight over something the size of a single planet?, trying to involve 5 or 6 and not have to build a campaign map that involves several solar systems is just a scale that would swamp this game (I thought Empire was border line too big).

That in addition to the fact that bar major conflicts the combat is (normally) carried out by smaller yet far more destructive squads and war machines, no, stick to historical and ‘fantasy’ style combat, modern/future warfare for me just would not work as well.

Maybe something akin to Close Combat would lend itself better to the squad sized aspect of 40k but add the tactical aspect that Dawn of War misses out on.

Caporegime
The conflict scope of 40k really doesn’t lend itself well to a total war game, how often would more than 2 or 3 factions fight over something the size of a single planet?, trying to involve 5 or 6 and not have to build a campaign map that involves several solar systems is just a scale that would swamp this game (I thought Empire was border line too big).

That in addition to the fact that bar major conflicts the combat is (normally) carried out by smaller yet far more destructive squads and war machines, no, stick to historical and ‘fantasy’ style combat, modern/future warfare for me just would not work as well.

Maybe something akin to Close Combat would lend itself better to the squad sized aspect of 40k but add the tactical aspect that Dawn of War misses out on.

No, not a Total War game... but it could certainly be done better and more simulative than the Dawn of War series, which peaked with the first game and has never been right since. The direction that DOW III is heading seems to be to be as loud and as gaudy as possible while losing the grittiness that made it so appealing in the first place.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, I caved in and bought grim and the grave and the other pack based on the reviews and it's added some fun to the game. Completed the game as Dwarves and Empire and am now doing Vapire Counts, though I need to restart as I made some serious errors in hero and building logic that are really annoying me.

Can't wait until Beastmen and Wood Elves are on sale then I will pick them up... then when I have completed it as all armies I will be eagerly awaiting the second instalment.

A new laptop with SLI 1070 or single 1080 is calling me...

Associate
Hmm in terms of total war style unit blocks the 40k stuff wouldn't operate like that, it would be more Dow style, maybe u could cherry pick battles and do a storyline campaign, or vs tyranids.

Maybe running with rifles style, u control a group of guys and the war rages around u.

Human units vs tyranids u would get that nepolene style unit blocks I guess

Caporegime
Thanks for the heads up, downloading now! Been waiting for this, seems a steal for a tenner. With the huge saving on RRP it won't be so hard to swallow buying the DLC now :cool:

Agreed, getting it for a tenner means the DLC is a must. However, to those complaining about the DLC, while I fully agree they are priced too highly, the DLC ensures that this game will survive and prosper. There are so many factions to create, and so many elements within those factions, that releasing everything within those individual major parts, with all the development restrictions and deadlines that would being, would mean a lack of quality and that many things simply wouldn't make it.

This may be the only Total War: Warhammer of our lifetimes as the game dies in popularity, so even though the DLC prices rankle somewhat, I am willing to tolerate it in order for this game to be completed in it's entirety with all factions done well.

The ongoing mod scene will then continue to add value for many years, and by the end we will all (those of us that are Warhammer lore and TW fans at least) have squeezed a ridiculous amount of value out of this game in terms of overall cost vs hours spent playing it. :)

Back
Top Bottom